What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some players knew

Ulysseus

Bench

Agreed.

This farce has gone on long enough.

The stupidity must end now.

This is fraud, it is a criminal offence, what does the game do to criminals?

Bans them, when it feels like it :roll:

2 year bans for all implicated, criminal record for tax evasion so they can't do a runner to the ESL and then we can call it even :D

MsStorm

Bench
:lol: @ Deloittes leaking information to the Telegraph.
So much for reputable organizations and I would imagine it would be illegal for them to do that before the audit is finished.

Ulysseus

Bench
Call me crazy.....................
but if the players knew nothing then what have they got to hide and why are they not fronting up to the meetings with Deloitte?

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/riolo-im-not-trying-to-ruin-nrl-20100605-xlrq.html

PLAYERS LOOKING SHADY

AS THE investigation into the Melbourne Storm's salary cap cheating deepens, the role of the players is becoming murky to say the least. Some leading players have witnessed other players' contracts - why they would be involved in that is a mystery. After all, we are always told that players don't know what their colleagues are earning. Surely the task of witnessing contracts should not be one that players have to perform.

Ulysseus

Bench
So much for reputable organizations and I would imagine it would be illegal for them to do that before the audit is finished.

What makes you think it was Deloitte and what does it matter?
It does not excuse their conduct in any instance.

BTW, will you now stop defending the players and stating they knew nothing or will you and most other storm supporters continue to trot that one out?

chrisD

Coach

Yeah, that's obviously the biggest issue here.

Ulysseus

Bench
Yeah, that's obviously the biggest issue here.

orly_owl-strogg.jpg

stormbati

Bench
Hahaha what a load of sh*t. Evidence my arse.
Fmd, why are the same merkins commenting on anything and everything related to the Storm?

Name them and shame them, then suspend them. Suspend them from playing with Melbourne after this season then can play at any other club expect Melbourne for a period of 4 years.

Mickyd39

Juniors
You'd think i'd be thanking them aye? But i don't. Actually yes, i agree that they have kept the Storm going but i'm certainly not stupid enough to think that they did it only for the Storms purposes and not their own.

Regardless of what the majority of gullible halfwits think around here they've made a sh*tload out of the Storm in advertising and tv rights than the $6 mill or so a year it cost them to keep them afloat. You couldn't possibly think if they were losing that $6 mill they wouldn't have cut the Storm loose years ago do you? Judging by your post you clearly do think that and only prove my point about the gullible halfwits i just made LOL.

Take a chill pill mate. You seem very angry.

There is no need for name calling.

Relax and take a deep breath, exhale.

Feel better champ?

i hope so.

natheel

Coach
NRL salary cap investigators have discovered champion hooker Cameron Smith had THREE separate contracts with Melbourne Storm.

One was registered with the NRL, one was in a file at the Storm's administration headquarters and another was being hidden at the home of former CEO Matt Hanson.

The contracts, which were drawn up by disgraced former boss Brian Waldron, also included payments for a home renovation and a guaranteed commentary role at Fox Sports. Super League architect John Ribot negotiated the Fox Sports deal.

Smith continues to deny he was aware of any rorting.

Other instances of Storm stars having more than one contract have been uncovered by the investigators.

The Storm are $850,000 over the cap this season and an astonishing $1.5 million next season.

News Limited spokesman Greg Baxter yesterday told 2GB the company now believed board members and players knew many of the contracts were illegal.

"The amount of money is significantly higher than first estimated, which is a massive problem. There are people who have previously claimed to be entirely innocent in these events and we now have emails that prove otherwise," Baxter said.

"We have circumstantial evidence that suggests members of the board were involved. This is probably going to get worse before it gets better.

"There is now evidence that some players were aware these arrangements were illegal in terms of the salary cap rules and they were happy to go along with it. You'd have to now assume some of the star players won't be at the club next year."

sourve: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/smiths-three-contracts/story-e6frexnr-1225875916005

Eels Dude

Coach
Yeah just like Greg Inglis' 30k boat was included in his contract. The players knowing nothing is starting to wear thin.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I'm sure smith and his manager thought it wasa perfectly normal to sign 3 contracts

Last edited:

MightyBronco

Juniors
Good, we are finally starting to get to the bottom of this matter.

Oh and in before some idiot again says something about "the players dont sit around at training and add up everyone's contracts" excuse. That one doesnt wash.

mattyg

Bench
tbh i think the player managers need to be held accountable for this. They are the ones trying to get the maximum dollar for the players and are meant to be acting in there best interests...as far as i'm aware sometimes the player doesn't really know the exact details of the contract, just the amount but not exactly what has been negotiated. The players managers surely would have known about this and they are being paid by the players to act responsibly. All player managers involved should have there license taken off them IMO

Hindyscrack

Bench
Good, we are finally starting to get to the bottom of this matter.

Oh and in before some idiot again says something about "the players dont sit around at training and add up everyone's contracts" excuse. That one doesnt wash.

The excuse that they don't add up contracts does wash, however signing 3 contracts doesn't. Direct action should be taken against Cameron Smith.