What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some positives out of tonight's game

Mr Red

First Grade
good fightback in the second half..
scoreboard was close...
they tried really hard...
there were positive signs... if we can show those next week we'll turn it around...

blah...blah.... same old rubbish again from the team...

seriously when the game was up for grabs in the first 20 minutes the dogs blew us off the park with their intensity, pressure, composure and structure... it was browns cows again for us...
Hornby is gone... its now embarrassing watching his old legs trying to keep up with the pace of the match each week...
nightingale on the left... good work Price just took away the teams best performing player by moving him to the wrong side of the field...

i know this post sounds like BBC, but seriously enough is enough..
no intensity, no game plan, no structure, good players playing out of position and having their form suffer due to it...

its a debacle at the moment, and Price has created this mess, and has no answers....

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I caught some of the WT vs Roosters game tonight and it was similar to our game, only Easts piled on more points. They put the cue in the rack and WT came back, but then surrendered again.

In all, 70 points were scored. The defence at times was just embarrassing. WT being the more woeful of the two.

IMO, the standards from a number of teams in the comp this year appears lower than in recent years.

possm

Coach
good fightback in the second half..
scoreboard was close...
they tried really hard...
there were positive signs... if we can show those next week we'll turn it around...

blah...blah.... same old rubbish again from the team...

seriously when the game was up for grabs in the first 20 minutes the dogs blew us off the park with their intensity, pressure, composure and structure... it was browns cows again for us...
Hornby is gone... its now embarrassing watching his old legs trying to keep up with the pace of the match each week...
nightingale on the left... good work Price just took away the teams best performing player by moving him to the wrong side of the field...

i know this post sounds like BBC, but seriously enough is enough..
no intensity, no game plan, no structure, good players playing out of position and having their form suffer due to it...

its a debacle at the moment, and Price has created this mess, and has no answers....

Well said and I agree 100%.

What to do now?

64 Dragon

Coach
nightingale on the left... good work Price just took away the teams best performing player by moving him to the wrong side of the field.../QUOTE]

Nightingale, being the player and team man probably volunteered to change wings for the good of the team. Morris should go back to the left and Nighty to fullback. Neither of them are ballplayers so that makes no difference. Morris is needed on the left.

Just do it!!!!!!!!!

Father Ted

First Grade
I caught some of the WT vs Roosters game tonight and it was similar to our game, only Easts piled on more points. They put the cue in the rack and WT came back, but then surrendered again.

In all, 70 points were scored. The defence at times was just embarrassing. WT being the more woeful of the two.

IMO, the standards from a number of teams in the comp this year appears lower than in recent years.

I've noticed this as well .. Firmly believe a good reserve grade comp is needed so players old and young can get together prior to first grade.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Father, I recall we predicted this years ago. We knew the dropping of the reserve grade or an effective feeder club would have dire results years down the track.

Possm... Mr quick fix,

The Cutters might be our reserves, but they are a recent invention. As mentioned above, we haven't had a real reserve grade side for years. Solutions my man... that's what we seek.

Father Ted

First Grade
Father, I recall we predicted this years ago. We knew the dropping of the reserve grade or an effective feeder club would have dire results years down the track.

Possm... Mr quick fix,

The Cutters might be our reserves, but they are a recent invention. As mentioned above, we haven't had a real reserve grade side for years. Solutions my man... that's what we seek.

Yes we did , more than once as I recall . However I think a bit more is needed. I'm suggesting a feeder club that plays in the same ground on the same day as the first grade as in the old days . Why ?? Because they need to get the feel of 20,000 people rather than 200 to get used to game day nerves. which is why the older guys would be a God send as well as the obvious experience they bring. Also they'd get to watch the first graders after the game as a group which I think is also essential ..

Bring back choc

Juniors

f**k me... Where does that put the dragons then.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yes we did , more than once as I recall . However I think a bit more is needed. I'm suggesting a feeder club that plays in the same ground on the same day as the first grade as in the old days . Why ?? Because they need to get the feel of 20,000 people rather than 200 to get used to game day nerves. which is why the older guys would be a God send as well as the obvious experience they bring. Also they'd get to watch the first graders after the game as a group which I think is also essential ..
Had the same chat at Kogarah the other week. For now, I have no problems with the Cutters playing after the U/20s and as a curtain raiser to the first grade. That way we get all three grades on game day.

IMO, that would be a good step in the right direction.

As for another feeder club, there was a time when we had good systems in place as well as the junior development, in addition to recruiting solid fringe players. Seems that we are (at best) putting our eggs into two out of three of those baskets, and they're only half full at the moment.

Father Ted

First Grade
Had the same chat at Kogarah the other week. For now, I have no problems with the Cutters playing after the U/20s and as a curtain raiser to the first grade. That way we get all three grades on game day.

IMO, that would be a good step in the right direction.

As for another feeder club, there was a time when we had good systems in place as well as the junior development, in addition to recruiting solid fringe players. Seems that we are (at best) putting our eggs into two out of three of those baskets, and they're only half full at the moment.

Another thing I'd do Willow is sack Paul McGregor as Cutters coach and replace him with a guy like Rick Stone . It would add options to the club imo..

The club have this arguement that three games in one day harms the ground however in our case with 5 to 6 games a year it's a bit unconvincing at least imo.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Another thing I'd do Willow is sack Paul McGregor as Cutters coach and replace him with a guy like Rick Stone . It would add options to the club imo..

The club have this arguement that three games in one day harms the ground however in our case with 5 to 6 games a year it's a bit unconvincing at least imo.
Three games harms the ground? Really? Never was an issue before.

Who's arguing that? Dead set, it's out of the concrete cancer handbook.

RedVee

First Grade
Heard that as a general NRL comment, not just us. The groundsmen are against 3 games on a dy, evidently.

Sounds like shit to me.

Father Ted

First Grade
Heard that as a general NRL comment, not just us. The groundsmen are against 3 games on a dy, evidently.

Sounds like shit to me.

So where does the fan rate in the big scheme of things one wonders?

1 Sponsors and big business
2 NRL heavy weights
3 Club officials
4 Television types
5 Player managers
6 journos
7 players
8 groundsmen
9 ex players
10 us

big pat

Coach

don't think rick stone would leave drugcastle, if mary fails, the godd time to blood someone like deano.

Lethal25

Juniors
They only played that way in the second half because they were so far behind, the performance overall was poor. Let's be honest, Saints have only scored 20 points or more four times in fourteen games this season. Round 3 against the Tigers who were travelling terribly at the time (result 36-12), Round 5 against the Broncos when again well behind at half time (20-28), Round 8 against Roosters when scoring two late tries to get out of jail (28-24) & Round 15 Dogs (20-28). It's worth noting on 3 of the 4 times Saints have scored 20 points the opposition has scored at least 24 points, maybe indicative of the game and not how Saints are performing. Fien and Hornby have been a little off in attack all year, Dan Hunt runs hard but opposition handle him quite easily. Simply it's time for some changes in personnel.

If we can only have the 2 games, then I'd be more in favour of tweaking the NYC comp to include 5 or 6 players > 20 yrs old.

64 Dragon

Coach

As far as I know the Broncos and the Titans have two or three feeder teams each.

In the dim and distant past I remember going to the footy to watch under 23s, reserve grade and first grade. It was good value for your dollar. No-one complained about the pitches then.