What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some soft prick claims RL is leagalised thuggery

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The game has been played for over a hundred years though , why all of a sudden is it dangerous

Professionalism allows players to get stronger, faster and bigger so its more powerful men hitting each other at faster speeds whilst still having mostly the same body with the same human weaknesses in things like bones and ligaments.

BM1979

Juniors
Professionalism allows players to get stronger, faster and bigger so its more powerful men hitting each other at faster speeds whilst still having mostly the same body with the same human weaknesses in things like bones and ligaments.

I do agree with what you say but i also believe the players are protected alot more these days compared to the stuff players use to get away with.

I just dont really understand the shoulder charge point , i cant remember seeing many people being seriously injured by a shoulder charge. If you blindside someone under the ribs i believe you can do just as much damage.

The Nrl have done a good job in cleaning up the game in relation to protecting players catching the ball , kickers and outlawing pretty much all contact with the head

adamkungl

Immortal
fact is most injuries are purely accidental, awkward landings and such. I can think of very few injuries that are caused by anything legal that can be considered unsavoury to a RL fan.

Anyone who wants to take some of the impact out of the game should consider a different sport.

Danish

Referee
Just wondering, what exactly is the downside of a few injuries in the NRL anyway?

I must be missing something here because I fail to see a very minor percentage of players picking up serious injuries each year as a problem.

Hooch

Juniors
I thought Merv Cross is an orthopaedic surgeon who does a lot of knee recos, i dont think he necessarily knows a lot about sports injury.

Is there even an increase in injury with increased conditioning? People have been doing acls since we stood upright.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Telecr4p strikes again!

How many of those injuries were due to 3 man tackles or shoulder charges? He's a doctor he doesn't get it, good.
its rough, its tough, its Rugby League!

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I thought Merv Cross is an orthopaedic surgeon who does a lot of knee recos, i dont think he necessarily knows a lot about sports injury.

Is there even an increase in injury with increased conditioning? People have been doing acls since we stood upright.

Wasn't there an article not long ago saying Australia, especially Sydney, was the world's capital for acl injuries?

JoeD

First Grade
Most injuries that keep people out the longest seem to be knee or hamstring and not collision related. Thats my impression anyway. I also cannot recall anyone leaving the field due to a shoulder charge. Mason v Kidwell did Mason leave the field maybe?

Dazraider

Juniors
I dont get this, isnt these injurys he is working on making him rich?
and without people getting injured then how would this person have a career?
this nice person is obviously a AFL lover and maybe trying to win the do gooders to ban the game.
two man tackle is laughable especially these days as the offloads happen a whole lot more than previous decades.
they should just sack him and give another surgeon the jobs who wont complain that people getting injured are making them money

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Most injuries that keep people out the longest seem to be knee or hamstring and not collision related. Thats my impression anyway. I also cannot recall anyone leaving the field due to a shoulder charge. Mason v Kidwell did Mason leave the field maybe?

Most knee and leg injuries occur because of twisting or hyperflexion as a result of contact. The most common time this happens is when a player is brought to a stop by the defence and has his legs braced and another defender comes into finish off the tackle. What Cross is saying is that at this point the tackle should be called complete negating the need for the third man in.

Brutus

Referee
It's about time they (Telegraph) had another backpage spread on Ben Ross and how close he came to being in a wheelchair.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Just wondering, what exactly is the downside of a few injuries in the NRL anyway?

I must be missing something here because I fail to see a very minor percentage of players picking up serious injuries each year as a problem.

Ask the players what the downside is - pain, weeks/months of rehab and disruptions to their career for starters. And then the cumulative effects of minor injuries crippling them in their fifties.
That said they've chosen to play the sport and these are the risks associated with it.

I'm not agreeing with Cross but if we can do something to extend players careers without changing the fundamental toughness of the sport why not listen to a man of his experience before calling him soft.

Danish

Referee
Ask the players what the downside is - pain, weeks/months of rehab and disruptions to their career for starters. And then the cumulative effects of minor injuries crippling them in their fifties.
That said they've chosen to play the sport and these are the risks associated with it.

I'm not agreeing with Cross but if we can do something to extend players careers without changing the fundamental toughness of the sport why not listen to a man of his experience before calling him soft.

Thems the breaks of trying to earn hundreds of thousands of dollars a year playing league.

They can always do a trade if they don't think it's worth it.

Mind you i don't want to be harsh on the players because you never hear a peep out of them on these topics. It's only ever whinging rent-a-quotes

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Thems the breaks of trying to earn hundreds of thousands of dollars a year playing league.

They can always do a trade if they don't think it's worth it.

Mind you i don't want to be harsh on the players because you never hear a peep out of them on these topics. It's only ever whinging rent-a-quotes

That's why I posted this: "That said they've chosen to play the sport and these are the risks associated with it."

And you're right, players never come out whinging about injuries, they accept them as part and parcel of the game.

Justafan

Juniors
I don't agree with more than two in the tackle but surely we ca noutlaw the tird or fourth man in who launches himself at a player who's momentum has been stopped and is defenceless. That in my opinion is more likely to lead to injuries.

Justafan

Juniors
I don't agree with banning more than two in the tackle but surely we can outlaw the third or fourth man in who launches himself at a player who's momentum has been stopped and who is defenceless. That, in my opinion, is more likely to lead to serious injuries.

Next they'll want to restrict tackles to shirt grabbing - one step closer to that soft c**k AFL game.

Like this ?

192049-nab-cup.jpg

betcats

Referee
I dont get this, isnt these injurys he is working on making him rich?
and without people getting injured then how would this person have a career?
this nice person is obviously a AFL lover and maybe trying to win the do gooders to ban the game.
two man tackle is laughable especially these days as the offloads happen a whole lot more than previous decades.
they should just sack him and give another surgeon the jobs who wont complain that people getting injured are making them money

If these injuries are supporting his career and he is trying to prevent them from happening thus endangering his career it obviously means he is putting the game and the players before himself you muppet.

Not saying I agree with him but yours is one of the dumbest post ive seen.