What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some stats.

Iafeta

Referee
Strategy wise, there's a few issues... aside from the lack of go forward from the big boppers (or should I say soft you know whats), some of our halves organisation is diabolical. Last night we repeatedly bombed out to Tupou, whereas Inu is picking them out of the sky as easy as shelling peas. Either we don't recognise that Inu is a better jumper, or we don't know how to set up. Time and time again on the fifth tackle we went to Inu's side. The halfback was posted either firmly on the left edge, or he took a spot to the left of the ruck. Then he was left with only Tupou's side to bomb to.

They're things that players like Thurston and Lockyer get right over and over again. Their positioning is excellent because they know what they're trying to achieve. I don't think much thought goes into it from that perspective. Brett Seymour for all his criticism is far, far better than Maloney at this. Last year this was the reason Buster would take the short kicks and Maloney would do the long punts. I don't think James is all that smart in that respect.

Our props though are getting absolutely rolled. They end up on their backs, and they don't fight to get a good play-the-ball. Mara and Heremaia were constantly getting it with set markers and a set defensive line. Our halves had players rushing at them. Mateo's copped some stick, but I thought he did damn well to at least try to playmake by taking it to and through the line and looking for an offload with no room in front of him.

Our tactics are so rubbish that we look for Luck to take a time-waster hit up in the opposition 20. I don't blame Luck. He DOES put his hand up. His halfback DOES NOT tell him to keep out of it. Mateo goes forward, but unless Fisiaahi is playing no one wants to back the bloke up. FFS Hohaia, I know you're trying to compensate for average halves, but for once just back Mateo up like Fish was.

There's only two blokes I would say are in decent form. Lewis Brown and Krisnan Inu. The rest are playing rubbish football. They look very poorly coached. No rythym. No structure. Unless the pack decides to play like animals we have no other options. I have never seen a first grade coach so reliant on a winger. A WINGER! If Manu's not there our record is deplorable. It's too defense orientated. Aside from Mateo, they're too scared to throw the ball around incase they drop it. Back your defence! Throw it around and move the pack around. Opposition packs come up hard in the centre third because they know we'll never look to hit the edges in our own half. I don't see how we'll get out of this season with our reputations intact.

One other thing... the Warriors used to be known for razzle dazzle (65% of commentators still believe it, but thats because they're morons). But when we had the razzle dazzle under Ando, we had small nippy blokes backing up forwards who were incisively looking to use good footwork before the line. Our forwards, aside from Mateo and Brown, run dead straight into the shoulder of their opposition and get flogged. Our small blokes sit back and wait (aside from Fish). I get the feeling the WArriors are trying to play a style that they believe, because of the media constantly telling them the flair needed to be controlled, matches the Australian competition style. The Warriors SHOULD play to their strengths, not to media expectations. Use of width, use of the ball, and use of skill through the tackle should be brought back. This style will get us to a fair few finals, I can't ever see us winning a Grand Final with it. We simply can't grind that well.

JAG

Juniors
Awesome contribution, Jag. Appreciate it. Had very much a VOT feel to it.

Please accept my humble apologies, I was making a joke. I should have known better.

I wouldn't know about the VOT thing, haven't been anywhere near there for a long time, but I'll take your word for it.

Anyway, from now on I will find no humour in anything on this site or make light of anything. I will take everything REALLY seriously and won't attempt to have a laugh about anything I see or read on here. Happy now?

Last edited:

Lossy

Juniors
Round 6 updated bar tonight's game.

Iafeta, good post.

I too remember the kiwi style as being hardened bash merchants that made the opposition think twice complimented by skilled ball-playing forwards offloading to a raft of smaller support players.

Flawed and lacking plan-B or not, at least we brought something to the competition. Unsure what we bring now, at least on the field.

Lossy

Juniors
Please accept my humble apologies, I was making a joke. I should have known better.

I wouldn't know about the VOT thing, haven't been anywhere near there for a long time, but I'll take your word for it.

Anyway, from now on I will find no humour in anything on this site or make light of anything. I will take everything REALLY seriously and won't attempt to have a laugh about anything I see or read on here. Happy now?

No. I demand that you continue with your attempts at humour you f**king sporran sucker.

There was humour in my reply also. (The VOT thing, hard to spot, I know).

At some stage we'll figure out what each other thinks is funny and when we're being serious. Everything will then be fluffy birds, and kittens drowning in a river along with whatever gameplan the Warriors are using.

Last edited:

Jesbass

First Grade
I have nothing of any merit to add except to point out that 86% of statistics are made up on the spot.

JAG

Juniors
No. I demand that you continue with your attempts at humour you f**king sporran sucker.

There was humour in my reply also. (The VOT thing, hard to spot, I know).

At some stage we'll figure out what each other thinks is funny and when we're being serious. Everything will then be fluffy birds, and kittens drowning in a river along with whatever gameplan the Warriors are using.

Ah! Gotcha. My apologies. :D

It was the VOT thing which tipped me over the edge.

'Gameplan' and 'Warriors' in the same sentence?

p.s. What goes on with me and my sporran is between me and my therapist.

hitman82

Bench
Starting props that made 100m. Warriors in bold.

Round 6: Rapira, Kite, T. Mannah, Moi Moi, Tolman, Bailey, Kennedy, Scott, Learoyd-lahs, Shillington, Tuimavave, Snowden, Douglas, Civoniceva, *Dragons v Souths to come*
Round 5: Gibbs, Asotasi, Scott, Tamou, Bailey, Snowden, Civoniceva, Norrie, T. Mannah, Hunt, Merrin, Tolman, Hannant, Thiaday.
Round 4: King, Hannant, Tilse, Shillington, Bailey, White, T. Mannah, Scott, Lillyman, Tuimavave, Hunt, Merrin, Kennedy, Norrie, Tolman.
Round 3: T.Mannah, Stuart, Asotasi, Bailey, Grant, A. Fifita, Galloway, Hunt, Tolman, Kennedy, Scott, Tamou.
Round 2: Allgood, Grant, Civoniceva, Thiaday, Bailey, Packer, Asotasi, Tolman, Kite, Snowden, Douglas.
Round 1: Stuart, Asotasi, Tronc, Anderson, Scott, T.Mannah, Blair, Bailey, Hunt, Snowden, Tolman.

Starting prop 100m runs (top):

6 = Bailey
5 = T. Mannah, Scott, Tolman
4 = Asotasi, Snowden, Hunt
3 = Civonceva, Thiaday

Expanded to all Warriors making 100m.

Round 6: Mateo (41 receives), Maloney (36), Rapira (16), Brown (24).
Round 5: Brown (16 receives).
Round 4: Fisiiahi (23 receives), Inu (20), Mateo (41), Lillyman (15), Brown (26).
Round 3: Hohaia (43 receives), Moon (15), Inu (15), Brown (22), Mateo (23), Matulino (15).
Round 2: Hohaia (32 receives), Ropati (17), Packer (16), Brown (13).
Round 1: Ropati (16 receives).

Hooker plus next 3 top receivers.

Round 6: Heremaia (63), Mateo (41), Hohaia (43), Maloney (36)
Round 5: Heremaia (72), Mateo (46), Maloney (44), Hohaia (38).
Round 4: Heremaia (60), Mateo (41), Berrigan (38), Maloney (34).
Round 3: Heremaia (47), Maloney (44), Hohaia (43), Seymour (42).
Round 2: Heremaia (43), Seymour (42), Berrigan (42), John (34).
Round 1: Heremaia (42), Maloney (40), Hohaia (35), Seymour (35).

----------
Killed my comments as they're not important. Stats only.

Nice work on the compilation of stats.

For Round 6, I'd like to point out that Rapira didn't actually run that well through the bulk of the game - most of his metres came with a couple of hit ups when the result was pretty much sealed.
When we needed Sam, he wasn't there.

hitman82

Bench
...and when you have a quick glance at other teams' bench prop metres compared to ours, it all becomes infinitely more depressing.

Lossy

Juniors
...and when you have a quick glance at other teams' bench prop metres compared to ours, it all becomes infinitely more depressing.

Speaking of which:

Averages for props or regular 'forwards'.

Ben Matulino:
Receives 9.2
Mins 32.2
Runs 8.7
Metres 70
Hit-up runs 6.8
Hit-up metres 54.5
Tackles 18.7

Jeremy Latimore:
Receives 10
Mins 43.5
Runs 10
Metres 70.5
Hit-up runs 7.5
Hit-up metres 53.5
Tackles 21.5

Russell Packer:
Receives 12.2
Mins 44.2
Runs 10.4
Metres 88.2
Hit-up runs 7.6
Hit-up metres 59.2
Tackles 27.4

Sam Rapira:
Receives 13.2
Mins 44.2
Runs 10.3
Metres 71.8
Hit-up runs 9
Hit-up metres 71.8
Tackles 26.5

Jacob Lillyman:
Receives 11.2
Mins 41.8
Runs 10.4
Metres 83.6
Hit-up runs 8.6
Hit up metres 69.4
Tackles 20

Ukuma Ta'ai:
Receives 9
Mins 47
Runs 8
Metres 59
Hit-up runs 6
Hit up metres 51
Tackles 19.5

Simon Mannering:
Receives 14.3
Mins 80
Runs 10.3
Metres 85.7
Hit-up runs 5.7
Hit-up metres 48
Tackles 33.5

Elijah Taylor:
Receives 8.7
Mins 51.3
Runs 6.7
Metres 47.3
Hit-up runs 4.3
Hit-up metres 30
Tackles 30

Micheal Luck:
Receives 13
Mins 66
Runs 6.5
Metres 41.7
Hit-up runs 4.3
Hit-up metres 16.7
Tackles 40.8

Lewis Brown:
Receives 19.5
Mins 75.3
Runs 12.8
Metres 113
Hit-up runs 4
Hit-up metres 38.7
Tackles 19.7

Last edited:

ozbash

Referee
interesting Lossy, those figures are ratsh*t.

is it the forwards fault or the halves getting them the ball ?

Lossy

Juniors

Ignoring the stats - I'm still slowly spreadsheeting myself to death - both. Our halves/hookers aren't suited to calling the shots and the forwards aren't dominant. Hardly anyone looks comfortable in their role, or indeed sure of what it actually is. The whole club really. Iafeta covered a lot of it.

But in a word: lack.

Lack of a dominant playmaker, leadership, direction, class, passion, vision, success, flair, blah, blah.

Back to the stats. Take something that KTF has mentioned for ages: Micheal Luck.

Hit-up runs 4.3
Hit-up metres 16.7

3.88 metres each hit up. That's terrible but it isn't his core function. Is no one else putting their hand up, do the halves keep giving him the ball anyway, or is it the plan? And why? We know it doesn't work.

Now passing.

Receives 13
Runs 6.5

He passes the ball 6.5 times a game. Wise given he's not a go-foward merchant but again, why is he getting it? We aren't ad libbing anymore, he isn't there for metres, and he has no passing game. But he touches the ball nearly as much as Mannering who is playing for the full 80 and is more of a threat, let alone others who could benefit.

It's only a snippet - the use of Luck is hardly to blame for everything - but if we can see it they can. If they can yet still persist changes are needed. If they can't then changes are needed.

But I can't see the necessary changes happening because they don't stop at the coach.

Last edited:

worier

Juniors

Hooker/halfback job to direct the forwards.

Those figures sound about right our forward pack has only fronted up twice this season and it's no suprise that it's the two games we won.

worier

Juniors

That's pretty much my impression of this place tbh (not saying it's a bad thing)

Re Heramaia post, luv it! good to see you still got your humour jag :D

Latest posts