What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Someone rings, asks name then hangs up.

Eelectrica

Referee
Hi guys,
A little earlier today someone (unknown number) called my mobile, asked is this Paul? (my real name) I said yes, then he hung up.

It's starting to bug me a little. Has anyone heard of any scams or anything like that? I'm normally pretty careful when it comes to throwing out paper work and stuff.

I'll be sure to log on to my bank daily and check my CC isn't being charged.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
if you only gave them your Christian name, I'd say your identity is pretty safe

there are a few Pauls in Australia

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
phone numbers dont mean much as long as you dont give away your dob

Eelectrica

Referee
Thanks guys probably nothing.
I'll just keep a close eye on bills and things like that and check for anomolies.
Just freaked me out a little the more I thought about how odd it seemed.

Bazzi

First Grade
I've been getting calls to my house phone from an overseas number quite a bit lately, once I answer they hang up straight away. Apparently it's their way of finding out which times of the day you're at home and so they can ring you at those times when wanting surveys and other crap.

Eelectrica

Referee
I did get an obvious scam text the other day. Saying I'd won 900000 pounds because it is Nokias 40th birthday. All I had to do was email nokia@bluemail.org

Yep that sounded legit :lol:

Probably the same idiots checking they had the right number.:lol:

I did get an obvious scam text the other day. Saying I'd won 900000 pounds because it is Nokias 40th birthday. All I had to do was email nokia@bluemail.org

Yep that sounded legit :lol:

Probably the same idiots checking they had the right number.:lol:

I received a letter from some attorney in Spain telling me that a recently deceased relative had left me over 9 million euros .......lol

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
hamish and andy ran a prank earlier in the year where they had a theory that there were so many people called "john" that they were calling numbers at random and asking for john..

maybe the indian equivalent of hamish and andy were doing the same thing looking for pauls?

Tennis-Update-Pak-India-duo-Aisam-ul-Haq-Qureshi-and-Rohan-Bopanna-advance-in-2011-Australian-Open-53756.jpg

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I received a letter from some attorney in Spain telling me that a recently deceased relative had left me over 9 million euros .......lol

see that would have been great last year..

but this year? hell, 9 million euros wouldn't even cover the cost of a phone call these days..