What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sonny Bill joins Roosters for 2013 Season

Monk

Referee
LINK

Sonny Bill joins Roosters in NRL return

The worst kept secret in rugby league has finally been confirmed, with the announcement that former All Black rugby union international Sonny Bill Williams has returned to the NRL to join the Sydney Roosters.

He has signed a one year deal with the Roosters commencing in 2013.

The controversial 27-year-old was rumoured to be heading to Bondi Junction ever since he announced earlier this year that he was leaving rugby union in New Zealand to play for the Panasonic Wild Knights in Japan, before joining an unnamed NRL club in 2013.

The confirmation marks Williams's return to the sport where he made his name.

In 2004 he made his first-grade debut for the Bulldogs at 18, and he made his international debut the same year when selected for New Zealand in the Anzac Day Test match against Australia.

He played in a Premiership side in his first season as the Bulldogs defeated the Roosters 16-13 in the Grand Final.

In 2007 he re-signed with the Bulldogs for five years, but Williams caused a storm of controversy when he walked out on that contract just 18 months later, switching codes to play rugby union for French Top 14 side Toulon.

He played in France for three years before opting to take a sizeable pay cut to play Super Rugby in New Zealand for the Crusaders - and later for the Chiefs - citing a desire to play for the All Blacks.

The move paid off, with Williams playing in 19 Tests for New Zealand, including a number of appearances in the All Blacks' Rugby World Cup triumph in 2011.

He continued to play in internationals in 2012, making a big impact in New Zealand's home series against Ireland, and scoring against the Wallabies in the first Bledisloe Cup match in Sydney in August.

In July, he announced he would quit the All Blacks to fulfil a handshake agreement made several years ago to return to the NRL in 2013.

His contract with the New Zealand Rugby Union expired after he was part of the Chiefs' first Super Rugby title win.

His short-term stint with the Wild Knights hit a snag when he sustained a pectoral injury during a game in late October which required chest surgery.

Williams tweeted on October 31 that the surgery had been successful, but there were concerns that he might be out of action for a couple of months.

But this morning's announcement shows Williams's medical prognosis is good enough to satisfy the Roosters to invest in the New Zealander for next season.

A hard-running, hard-hitting centre or second-row, Williams will provide attacking options for the Roosters and new coach Trent Robinson.

Williams has also made headlines with a heavyweight boxing career.

He was due to fight South African boxer Francois Botha in Brisbane on November 24, but that bout was put in doubt after succumbing to his pectoral injury.

Valheru

Coach
Probably one of the more underwhelming announcements I have seen given we all knew about this back in January. There really is nothing left to say except we will see how it pans out on the field.

Valheru

Coach
I meant from a roosters fan perspective it is underwhelming.

I am enjoying the tantrum on the main board though.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Is it just me or has Sonny Bill Williams become a lot more articulate? He can actually string together a sentence now. Maybe Uncle Nick sent him some tutors.

Robbie 12

Juniors
I don't know about this guy, his mind is not in the right place, doesn't seem excited to play for the roosters, yeah just some thing to do after boxing in Feb and then I go back to rugby in 2014, doesn't seem committed to the club ....or even to the sport..

Last edited:

Monk

Referee
It's a one year contract? What did you expect?

He wants to succeed in the sport. As far as I know that's the only reason he's come back. He wants to go to the world cup for the Kiwi's, and to do that, he's going to have to get back to his best. Which can only mean good things for the Chooks.

Big Pete

Referee
How much money do you reckon you've sunk in him?

Doesn't appear he's coming cheaply and you'd imagine the Chooks could have got more value with that money. I really don't think you needed another backrow.

Ozzy

First Grade
I meant from a roosters fan perspective it is underwhelming.

I am enjoying the tantrum on the main board though.
Definitely loving the tantrums. :D

Is it just me or has Sonny Bill Williams become a lot more articulate? He can actually string together a sentence now. Maybe Uncle Nick sent him some tutors.
Probably ha Uncle Nick write the speech for him. :D

sretsoor

Juniors

Doesn't appear he's coming cheaply and you'd imagine the Chooks could have got more value with that money. I really don't think you needed another backrow.

He's already bringing more money to the game after 1 day. The NZ TV rights has jumped a $1m. Our memberships had a surge yeterday and gates takings next year will increase. Onfield results aside, financially the club, and the NRL have already won.

natheel

Coach
If I was a roosters fan I'd be in 2 minds about this. He isn't even doing rehab at the club and won't be there till den and reports say he could miss the first month... But he is a good player and infectious so other guys will thrive off his attitude bur he certainly isn't in it for the passion or love of the game. He will suck up a chunk of the cap for a handful of games. He's turned himself into a brand not a sportsmen.

If I was a roosters fan I'd be in 2 minds about this. He isn't even doing rehab at the club and won't be there till den and reports say he could miss the first month... But he is a good player and infectious so other guys will thrive off his attitude bur he certainly isn't in it for the passion or love of the game. He will suck up a chunk of the cap for a handful of games. He's turned himself into a brand not a sportsmen.

Think that goes with the territory theses day. Beckham, Messi and Ronaldo will attest to that.
Kinda of with you on the rest of your post. Got a feeling though, things are far too complicated to explain in one media sitting. Too many people are out for his blood still. Better to say bugger all I suspect/hope.

My mail from a mate who's close to the club is that he'll be with us for two seasons but will sign for one year at a time. Most likely because he's looking at other income streams between seasons that aren't palatable to the commission or the Telecrap

STG 002

First Grade
He was the best player in the game when he left or in the top few. He hasn't had a hard game of footy in 5 years. Barely been tackled. He will be out injured for half the season. Your body doesn't get more durable as u get older and he will be marked closely.

Valheru

Coach

The rumoured figure is 800k.

His value on the field remains to be seen but his value elsewhere is evident. Our crowds and membership will definitely be up for next year and if anything he takes pressure off the rest of the team.

I don?t like at all what he did in 2008 and I have my doubts about the current deal but SBW is nothing if not a winner and I am hoping that is infectious.

Cliffhanger

Coach
He was the best player in the game when he left or in the top few. He hasn't had a hard game of footy in 5 years. Barely been tackled. He will be out injured for half the season. Your body doesn't get more durable as u get older and he will be marked closely.

Wrong, these days men are in peak condition for competition in their early 30s.

Your bones haven't fully ossified until you're in your early 20s, with those growth plates closed you're less susceptible to injury, until of course you start experiencing atrophy and muscular dystrophy and SBW isn't even close to being in that age category.

So worry about your own team.

Geohood

Bench
Wrong, these days men are in peak condition for competition in their early 30s.

Your bones haven't fully ossified until you're in your early 20s, with those growth plates closed you're less susceptible to injury, until of course you start experiencing atrophy and muscular dystrophy and SBW isn't even close to being in that age category.

So worry about your own team .

Please explain :oops:

Cliffhanger

Coach
Atrophy is the wasting away of bones, as we get older we lose bone mass.

Muscular dystrophy is the wasting away of muscle.

Ossification is bone hardening. Up until you're in your early 20s you still have cartilage in some places instead of bone.