What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sonny Bill leaves the country

Rogue.9

Juniors
I never though I would say this but I actually feel sorry for the bulldogs. It was the same as when Lyon walked out on us a few years ago, not only do you lose one of your best players but also the players you had to let go to fit under the salary cap and at this stage of the year there isn't a great deal of talent left on the market unless another club is wanting to off-load a few players.
I hope he gets sued for breach of contract. Fox sports have just said that the NRL is supporting the bulldogs & will take action to stop him playing overseas although I have no idea if the french courts would enforce a ban.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Feel for all you Dogs fans

Gutless bastard he is.

Same sentiments from me, SBW is a turd of the highest order.

The supporters of the club are the ones that he has really let down, and they don't deserve to cop that kind of crap, after the support that they have given him in his darkest hours at the club.

Pathetic.

Zetland Rabbit

Juniors
I hope that both the Bulldogs and the NRL hit him hard with everything they have and make an example of him, if his contract is 'Iron Clad' as they say.

If they don't take swift decisive action...then the flood gates will open for all other dickheads to do the same thing.

What a pathetic unprofessional manner to conduct yourself in SBW...you are a deadset idiot SBW.

Personally i hope he plays park footy for the next four years, while made to sit it out, or otherwise taken to the dry cleaners and sued for every penny he has and more.

To the Doggie supporters...stay strong guys you deserve better then this BS.

macnaz

Staff member
GO U STUPID TAMPON. nobody is bigger than the game and this dumb wanker seems to think he is. Go and get your money and bore yourself to death playing the worlds most sh*thouse game. There are superstars coming into the NRL every week so good riddens u trouble making loser.

macnaz

Staff member
bahahahahahahahahahahaha

nrl should wake up because money makes the world go around and in 5 years time, the nrl will be a reserve grade comp.

time for people at the top to stop the b!tch fights, establish a new/independant board and expand the game to increase revenue.

Yeah right as if Australian Rugby League can pay a $1million a season to keep players like tampoon SBW and over rated Gasnier. WE HAVE 21 MILLION PPL HERE IDIOT.. you want to pay 5000 a month for fox or 100 to a game...grow a brain u dumb wax head.:x

Wobbygong

First Grade
Sad to see this happen but I don't think he'll be back.

Good luck to the Dogs and the NRL trying to obtain an injunction to enforce a contract for personal services, they have buckelys chance. It won't be recognised or enforceable in France and especially in a completely different sport. The International Court of Arbitration for Sport is the Dogs only hope, but it can only work if both parties are seeking to resolve or settle the matter, clearly SBW has no interest in playing for the Dogs any longer.

Sad he is such a great player, but I don't know what's going on in his head any more, take SBW from the dogs and even with a couple of new buys next year, the poor old dogs will continue to struggle.

Dave Q

Coach
Sad to see this happen but I don't think he'll be back.

Good luck to the Dogs and the NRL trying to obtain an injunction to enforce a contract for personal services, they have buckelys chance. It won't be recognised or enforceable in France and especially in a completely different sport. The International Court of Arbitration for Sport is the Dogs only hope, but it can only work if both parties are seeking to resolve or settle the matter, clearly SBW has no interest in playing for the Dogs any longer.

Sad he is such a great player, but I don't know what's going on in his head any more, take SBW from the dogs and even with a couple of new buys next year, the poor old dogs will continue to struggle.

Thats a good post, I was wondering how the bulldogs were supposed to enforce their contract.

How do you measure the loss?

Obviously they want any money back that they have paid for the future but what if they havent paid him for next year or beyond?

Who could say that he wouldnt get an injury next week and be out of the game until round 11 next year?

I suppose they could hit him up for expenses incurred in finding a replacement.

Hes a fine player, elite even, but he's not the best player in the world.

If he doesnt want to play for the bulldogs, they shouldnt force him.

Get some cashola out of him and give him the bird.

I suppose the penalties for breach might also be covered in the contract.

Just because he is overseas ..that wont protect any assetts he owns here.

Last edited:

Dave Q

Coach
Sadly big SBW won't be the last high profile player to leave the NRL for Euro dollars.

Thats right, but subject to law, players are free to play wherever they like.

They may cry foul of contractual obligations here, but thats the fundamental principle.

And nothing can or should change that.

If one is a good electrician, why cant one work overseas?

Theres a lot of good juniors in this game, especially around my area.

Last edited:
on the one hand its sad to see him go, at the bulldogs home games whenever his name came up on the big screen, the cheer went around from the faithful, on the other hand though i think we will be better off without him, we obviously won't be using the money to sign someone for next season (who is left to sign?), but for the season after that we should be sweet.

The game of rugby league won't stop just because SBW left, i just found it extremely hypocritical that he was bagging out Mason at the start of the year, when in my opinion Williams just proved to me and i assume the other dogs fans that he is much worse.

Dave Q

Coach
on the one hand its sad to see him go, at the bulldogs home games whenever his name came up on the big screen, the cheer went around from the faithful, on the other hand though i think we will be better off without him, we obviously won't be using the money to sign someone for next season (who is left to sign?), but for the season after that we should be sweet.

The game of rugby league won't stop just because SBW left, i just found it extremely hypocritical that he was bagging out Mason at the start of the year, when in my opinion Williams just proved to me and i assume the other dogs fans that he is much worse.

Yeah I can understand the blunt irony.

SBW was whinging a few weeks ago about all the attention and pressure etc. He wasnt handling the "cult of personality" thing too well.

I can understand that.

But no doubt, a lot of his supporters and kids who admired him feel let down. Theres no compensation for that.

'Emotional trauma and disspointment caused by loss of marquee" I cant see that being pleaded in a court summons as a head of damage.

Of course, the club's sponsers wont be happy about the loss of a marquee.

I dont how many sponsers signed on on the basis of SBW being in the side.

A lot of players have personal game day sponsers, SBW's is entitled to feel jipped.

The sad thing is that the club has bought some good players for 2009 and is in a building phase. It was all systems go for 2009. This is a real clip over the ear for them.

Its a fundamentally strong club ( even during an in-house fight), this isnt fatal just especially unwelcome after their planning a side around him and the players they let go to keep him etc. Thats all flushed away overnight. Thats several thousand hours work overall I'd say. Maybe recoverable in court, interesting legal question but ...Im not sure.

Last edited:

***MH***

Bench
I think that this is a bigger slap in the face for New Zealand and their Rugby League fans. The Bulldogs listened to Sonny's idea about giving free tickets to NZ and pacific islander passport holders and they pulled through. The fans turned up in numbers only to find out that he's pulled out with a back injury. A week later, he flys off to play second division Yawnion in France which eliminates all hope of SBW representing NZ in the World Cup in November.

It's one thing to piss off your clubs supporters but it's another thing to piss off your country.

see http://forum.nzwarriorsonline.com/showthread.php?t=13456 for a kiwi's perspective.

Dave Q

Coach
I think that this is a bigger slap in the face for New Zealand and their Rugby League fans. The Bulldogs listened to Sonny's idea about giving free tickets to NZ and pacific islander passport holders and they pulled through. The fans turned up in numbers only to find out that he's pulled out with a back injury. A week later, he flys off to play second division Yawnion in France which eliminates all hope of SBW representing NZ in the World Cup in November.

It's one thing to piss off your clubs supporters but it's another thing to piss off your country.

see http://forum.nzwarriorsonline.com/showthread.php?t=13456 for a kiwi's perspective.

As a proud Aussie but big on strengthening the game overseas, this sux badly.