What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sonny not being used properly

Ridders

Coach
After watching yesterday's games, as well as our previous games this season, i've come to agree more with Gus on our usage of Sonny Bill. IMO his talents are being hugely wasted because atm, 99% of the times our halves pass the ball to Sonny before the line as if to say "do your best son". How many times do you see plays set up were Sonny is designed to be hitting the ball at full pace and running into holes in defense.

That damaging run in the first half were he nearly scored re-instated to me how much better Sonny could potentially be if we'd set up plays for him, rather than just pass him the ball to create plays for us.

Abz

Juniors
After watching yesterday's games, as well as our previous games this season, i've come to agree more with Gus on our usage of Sonny Bill. IMO his talents are being hugely wasted because atm, 99% of the times our halves pass the ball to Sonny before the line as if to say "do your best son". How many times do you see plays set up were Sonny is designed to be hitting the ball at full pace and running into holes in defense.

That damaging run in the first half were he nearly scored re-instated to me how much better Sonny could potentially be if we'd set up plays for him, rather than just pass him the ball to create plays for us.
Are you suggesting lock? IMO moving 1 player (SBW) to lock would mean wasting 3 others (Reni, Koups, Lee T) - they are all good at lock and average in 2nd row. Leave SBW in 11 and let the other 3 fight it out for the #13 spot because they are great at it.

Ridders

Coach
hmmm, so according to you we can't set plays up for sonny without moving him to lock. Jesus, its not like we set up awesome plays for any of the forwards you mentioned. I'm not talking about positional changes, i'm talking about our usage of him. Sonny's always given the ball in front of a straight line, which considering that, adds more credit to what Sonny's able to do. I'm just saying to have a bit more creativity to our play cause most of the time in every game, we use SBW in the same way, which doesn't utilise the amazing speed and strength he has for a big man.

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
It's because Holdsworth is nothing but a f**king DUD and he can't do sh*t except kick. He passes to SBW all the time because he has NFI how to lead a team around, no idea what to do but pass to SBW or pussy it 10 meters behind the ruck and put a kick in.

We need a half back quick smart or else.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
When plays get set up for SBW, he inevitably gets monstered by 3 or 4 defenders. They see it coming a mile away because they are already focused on him.

You underestimate the effect SBW has whenever the ball comes within 10 metres of him, even if he doesn't touch it.

Dogaholic

First Grade
When plays get set up for SBW, he inevitably gets monstered by 3 or 4 defenders. They see it coming a mile away because they are already focused on him.

You underestimate the effect SBW has whenever the ball comes within 10 metres of him, even if he doesn't touch it.

Agreed.

Latest posts