What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOO 13 Game 1: Official NSW Squad

Amadaca

Juniors
He'd likely beat you in a fight ? How would you stop him tackling you and just pummeling you to death on the ground. How dumb are you mate.

this is besides the point you are a gutless internet coward who obviously wouldn't be a worry to anyone.

Interested to hear what you're basing this on, but our little secret --- there is at least one true lowlife I know/knew who would disagree with you ;-)

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Actually tough people famously talk themselves up on the internet. Give it a rest you absolute pile of sad.

Apey

Staff member
Oh jeez Amadaca thought people were joking when they said end yourself... whoops, how do we make it any clearer?

Amadaca

Juniors
Oh jeez Amadaca thought people were joking when they said end yourself... whoops, how do we make it any clearer?

I won't die until I've outlived every asshole involved in SL. I should be just young enough to pull it off, with clean living as an aid, so I have that going for me.

Is anyone else having trouble with sleep lately? Shit.

big hit!

Bench
And maybe people don't agree with that? Just as they didn't agree with Stuart's idiotic strategy of putting Ben Creagh and such on at prop. f**k one of the backrowers off and have something like Tamou, Grant, Fifita and Woods and he'd be set. Forget about having middle rotation bullshit and have simple prop rotation. Then have Gallen, Lewis, Merrin, Bird and Watmough as backrowers. Any of Lewis, Gallen, Watmough and Bird can play either left or right and have done so for NSW and Australia in the past. Lewis and Bird can cover halves and outside backs without having a utility that is likely to never get on the field sitting on the bench all game.

People are allowed to disagree with Daley's strategy, especially when it hasn't worked in the past. Stuart's strategy worked best when he finally took Gallen out of prop and brought Grant in.

As I said in the previous reply to you and many other times on this forum, that would've been my original approach too, i.e., 4 conventional props.

When Gidley pulled out on Monday night, another prop was never going to be selected in his place. Not because Daley had said so. Just simple analysis of the his forward unit composition when the team was announced on Sunday night was enough.

Forget about the simple reference to 'back rower'. That word is f**king redundant these days. More accurately, you have left/right (edge) forwards, and the middle forward.

One backrower/small forward generally plays tight with the props. It's normally the #13 but in reality it can be any of the #11, #12, & #13. For instance, at Manly it's not G Stewart but Watmough.

This is something that's lost on many rugby league followers when analysing the performance of players who play in those numbers. Middle forwards like Gallen, Merrin, Watmough are considered superior players with high work rates, but they see much more ball and complete far more tackles than an edge forward because they play tighter.

Then you have blokes such as Hoffman, Tony Williams, SBW, T'eo, G Stewart, etc who are exclusively edge forwards and for the freak exception, are considered cats or poorer players in comparison when they are quiet in games. Little recognition is given to their actual role on the edges.

Hoffman is exclusively a left forward. He won't play in the middle and he isn't in the team to play in the middle. His performance, as are other edge forwards, is largely dependent on the performance of the middle men and the distribution of ball from the halves. Last year for example, the NSW attack was very left-side dominant to utilise the strengths of Jennings and Hayne, so Bird got a lot of ball as well. In contrast, G Stewart was largely quiet in both games he played on the right edge. In teams with little cohesion such as the NSW teams of recent years, edge forwards generally have a hard time to have an impact on games. The plays and decoys and holes we see in many effective edge forwards at club are very much a product of repetition.

When Hoffman was selected, it was clear that Bird was going to shift into the middle. With Watmough, Merrin & Gallen also in the squad, they were in the middle too. The balance is made up by the props Tamou and Fifita. The fact there are only two recognised props selected amongst 4 middle small forwards highlights the mobile strategy in comparison to the conventional 4 prop/2 small forward rotation.

All of those 6 players Daley has picked will be used in high impact bursts. Neither of them will play anymore than 50 mins IMO, even Gallen.

So as you can see, losing Gidley did nothing to require another prop. If anything, it would've diluted the influence of the other 6 players Daley selected to rotate through the middle.

Last edited:

Ladmate

Bench
Big hit, the problem is that NSW have plenty of good backrowers who can play tight or on the edge. Selecting Hoffman there when he's purely a hole runner who's ineffective against top defenses is not very smart. Likewise, Queensland has dominated NSW with props the last couple of years. This is a year NSW had the edge in props and they didn't take advantage.

Nevertheless, I hope all of them dominate on Wednesday. Just don't believe this was the right team to maximise success.

timka4

Bench
Everyone will have their slight differences in the opinion of the team naturally, but just think it could of been a much worse selected side and it makes things seem alright lol

isaiah

Bench
I won't die until I've outlived every asshole involved in SL. I should be just young enough to pull it off, with clean living as an aid, so I have that going for me.

Is anyone else having trouble with sleep lately? Shit.

clean living and aids?

big hit!

Bench
Big hit, the problem is that NSW have plenty of good backrowers who can play tight or on the edge. Selecting Hoffman there when he's purely a hole runner who's ineffective against top defenses is not very smart. Likewise, Queensland has dominated NSW with props the last couple of years. This is a year NSW had the edge in props and they didn't take advantage.

Nevertheless, I hope all of them dominate on Wednesday. Just don't believe this was the right team to maximise success.

I don't agree with the Hoffman selection either. I'm just explaining how his inclusion amongst all the other small forwards prohibits the selection of a Grant or Woods when Gidley pulled out.

I think Daley wanted Bird in the middle more than getting Hoffman in on the edge. Yes, he should have originally not selected him and Bird could've been stayed out on the left edge, or Watmough could play there as well, and then bring in third prop such as Grant or Woods to complete the middle rotation. There would be a bit more size in the centre throughout the game, and I guess we all agree that the left edge would be stronger too.

But it seems Daley wants Bird and all these guys in the middle and will have them playing fewer minutes each to deliver impact. Watmough is definitely the best middle forward beast in the game. Better than Gallen and Merrin for impact, IMO.

And Hoffman will be getting a spell at some stage so Bird (or Watmough) will probably pick up extra minutes out on the edge too.

I hope it works. With QLD going in with a modified and smaller pack, this is the game it can work. They will be improved when Hannant returns.

I don't agree with the Hoffman selection either. I'm just explaining how his inclusion amongst all the other small forwards prohibits the selection of a Grant or Woods when Gidley pulled out.

I think Daley wanted Bird in the middle more than getting Hoffman in on the edge. Yes, he should have originally not selected him and Bird could've been stayed out on the left edge, or Watmough could play there as well, and then bring in third prop such as Grant or Woods to complete the middle rotation. There would be a bit more size in the centre throughout the game, and I guess we all agree that the left edge would be stronger too.

But it seems Daley wants Bird and all these guys in the middle and will have them playing fewer minutes each to deliver impact. Watmough is definitely the best middle forward beast in the game. Better than Gallen and Merrin for impact, IMO.

And Hoffman will be getting a spell at some stage so Bird (or Watmough) will probably pick up extra minutes out on the edge too.

I hope it works. With QLD going in with a modified and smaller pack, this is the game it can work. They will be improved when Hannant returns.

Maybe now.... but this time last year I think that title belonged to Tariq Sims

big hit!

Bench
Maybe now.... but this time last year I think that title belonged to Tariq Sims

He's an edge forward too. Right-side predominantly. Dallas Johnson plays the minutes in the middle for NQ. All the fapping last year was for T. Williams which is why he missed out.

I mentioned it a few pages ago, I would've selected Sims or Hinchcliffe instead of Reynolds who also plays right-side for Canterbury. Both can interchange with Lewis and are a stronger option on that right edge than Joel. Hinchcliffe can cover acting half too. Both would get used, unlike Reynolds who is more of a contingency.

Even though Reynolds can cover acting and general halves, he's a friggin' liability in defence. I definitely wouldn't want him defending in the middle for much of the game if something happened to Farah, and having him one man in from where he normally defends on the edge if he replaces Lewis would be a nightmare. Remember, this is the side Thurston is prominent and Inglis will be rampaging down.

1. Hayne
2. Morris
3. Jennings
4. Morris
5. Uate
6. Maloney
7. Pearce
8. Tamou
9. Farah
10. Fifita
11. Lewis
12. Bird
13. Gallen

14. Grant
15. Merrin
16. Watmough
17. Sims

Unbeatable!

betcats

Referee
Laurie was a selector for many of the years we have lost during the run wasnt he? Didnt he get punted a couple years ago? Now we are letting him pick sides again, hmm.

He's an edge forward too. Right-side predominantly. Dallas Johnson plays the minutes in the middle for NQ. All the fapping last year was for T. Williams which is why he missed out.

I mentioned it a few pages ago, I would've selected Sims or Hinchcliffe instead of Reynolds who also plays right-side for Canterbury. Both can interchange with Lewis and are a stronger option on that right edge than Joel. Hinchcliffe can cover acting half too. Both would get used, unlike Reynolds who is more of a contingency.

Even though Reynolds can cover acting and general halves, he's a friggin' liability in defence. I definitely wouldn't want him defending in the middle for much of the game if something happened to Farah, and having him one man in from where he normally defends on the edge if he replaces Lewis would be a nightmare. Remember, this is the side Thurston is prominent and Inglis will be rampaging down.

I meant for impact of the bench full stop.

Amadaca

Juniors
Laurie was a selector for many of the years we have lost during the run wasnt he? Didnt he get punted a couple years ago? Now we are letting him pick sides again, hmm.

Yep. & he's just as shit at picking players now as he's ever been.