What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOS - Coach: Brian "Bluey" McClenan

devoid

Juniors
I too like the fact he's changed his team. I need though to see changes to the attacking structure. Thats the issue I have in the 5-6 years Ivan has been here, its just too robotic and simplistic and needs serious amending.

Aisde from the Tigers and Rabbitohs, who do NOT employ simplistic, robotic attacking structure?

Some of the stats with the Warriors this year in attack identify serious, serious issues. 8 line breaks, only one in general field play, the other 7 are the tries (so they could be simple barge over attempts rather than constructive breaks), 14th in points scored (we were low the last two years as well), 14th in line breaks. These are all very concerning stats that suggest attacking structure is poor. Completion rates haven't been great, but they aren't woeful either, so that is not the cause which is where I think Ivan focuses his attention on to fix the issue, which I think is wrong.

You haven't linked our lack of platform provided by our fatties to these stats. How do we create opportunities for our outsides, if we aren't going forward? We have lost the battle up the middle of the park in all three games thus far; I can't see how a perceived poor attacking structure causes these stats. That's like putting the cart before the horse, isn't it?

Iafeta

Referee
The Roosters, the Storm, yes, even the Dragons (look at their offloading game on the weekend), the Sharks so far this year... the teams that I think that lack any attacking structure are Penrith, Parra, and the Warriors. They're the robotic sides of the comp.

devoid, there are a lot of similarities in these types of stats since 2009. Things aren't changing in that respect. What has got us through in those games in between is huge metres from Manu, Manu's ability under the cross field bomb, and good go forward. They are a cornerstone, but if you don't have the ability to create a rhythm and hold your shape whereby players are not running one out, we aren't relying on dummy half runs, or cross field bombs, forget ever trying to achieve the next step and have a serious dig at the Premiership.

devoid

Juniors
The Roosters, the Storm, yes, even the Dragons (look at their offloading game on the weekend), the Sharks so far this year... the teams that I think that lack any attacking structure are Penrith, Parra, and the Warriors. They're the robotic sides of the comp.

devoid, there are a lot of similarities in these types of stats since 2009. Things aren't changing in that respect. What has got us through in those games in between is huge metres from Manu, Manu's ability under the cross field bomb, and good go forward. They are a cornerstone, but if you don't have the ability to create a rhythm and hold your shape whereby players are not running one out, we aren't relying on dummy half runs, or cross field bombs, forget ever trying to achieve the next step and have a serious dig at the Premiership.

I'd have to agree with the Roosters - forgot them. They (with the Tigers) have their own 'lateral' type structure; as for the Storm and Drags - the most robotic sides in terms of structure (with Manly) over the past five years IMO. Offloads do not define structure - offloads come from structure. Melbourne perfected the now prevalent second-man play. If that is not structure, I don't know what is.

Yeah our stats are similar - it is a fine line between success and failure at this level, hence the conservative approach by nearly every club. Rule of thumb is now: do it the same every time, with discipline - consistency is King. So what is the difference for us this year, if the stats are similar? Manu is a good point. We obviously miss both the meters he makes, and the space he gives others. But the one thing nobody can ignore from us this year is obvious - we are losing the battle upfront. If you don't go forward, you go home. All structure requires a foundation. We haven't laid one footing this season thus far.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Iafeta's nailed it on Ceary IMO, he's a good man-manager, has rapport with players, and can coach basics and discipline, but he lacks the ability to coach the Warriors into genuinely creative, structured attacking football. I think it's time for him to move on.