What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Africa

Shark62

Juniors
God forbid I’m suggesting the rlif proactively engaging with government. No progress will ever be made dwelling on what was and is, it’s about creating the future and showing leadership.

taipan

Referee
Why are we discussing football and rugby? This should be about the rlif going to sa and engaging with the government about developing opportunities.

Keep deflecting ,know the South African situation re both sports.And know the impact of SASCOS.And know then history of trying to develop teh game in SA.You haven't a clue.

Shark62

Juniors
Keep deflecting ,know the South African situation re both sports.And know the impact of SASCOS.And know then history of trying to develop teh game in SA.You haven't a clue.
Deflecting? I’m suggesting a way forward. A strategic plan, engagement with government, promoting the game, selecting young black and white rugby players for nrl development programs with visits to nrl clubs. Alternatively we can take your approach and say it’s not fair. That always works. Rugby league needs visionaries.

taipan

Referee
Deflecting? I’m suggesting a way forward. A strategic plan, engagement with government, promoting the game, selecting young black and white rugby players for nrl development programs with visits to nrl clubs. Alternatively we can take your approach and say it’s not fair. That always works. Rugby league needs visionaries.

Deflecting ,because you appear to lack understanding of SASCOC's overseeing of sport in that country.
I repeat if it were that simple.rugby league would be in the position Norway rl is now.
Deflecting, because you think just rolling in with money solves the problem immediately.It helps.But it doesn't get the Government assistance in many forms available to other developed sports.

If the situation has changed since ,I will be the first to applaud it.

Shark62

Juniors
Deflecting ,because you appear to lack understanding of SASCOC's overseeing of sport in that country.
I repeat if it were that simple.rugby league would be in the position Norway rl is now.
Deflecting, because you think just rolling in with money solves the problem immediately.It helps.But it doesn't get the Government assistance in many forms available to other developed sports.

If the situation has changed since ,I will be the first to applaud it.
It’s a waste of time responding to you. Read what I wrote and try and understand it, and don’t misquote me.
The deflection is yours. You really are a miserable negative old man.

taipan

Referee
It’s a waste of time responding to you. Read what I wrote and try and understand it, and don’t misquote me.
The deflection is yours. You really are a miserable negative old man.

I agree it's a waste of time.You have zero idea of the situation in SA.That's the trouble I've been reading your "comments' and you ignore the salient points.Just an immature self indulgent old troll.Two can play the man mate.

Shark62

Juniors
I agree it's a waste of time.You have zero idea of the situation in SA.That's the trouble I've been reading your "comments' and you ignore the salient points.Just an immature self indulgent old troll.Two can play the man mate.
I’m a troll because I’m into solutions rather than whinging? You aren’t the only person who understands the situation in South Africa. The difference between you and me is you wear excuse making as a badge of honour. Your approach is to blame the past instead of think of a way forward.
I’m a rugby league fanatic mate whether you like it or not and I am a big fan of the international game whether you believe it or not.
The failure of league internationally is a lack of commitment and will from the controlling bodies.
Not Vichy. Not anybody else. It’s the administrations fault for failing to act proactively to grow the game.
We as a game have failed to think outside our old boundaries and have let the narrow minded administrators of clubs hold the game back while they defend a diminishing market.
It’s 2019 not 1985. It’s a new world and requires a proactive approach. Not the hand wringing and whinging you excel at.

Stallion

First Grade
I’m a troll because I’m into solutions rather than whinging? You aren’t the only person who understands the situation in South Africa. The difference between you and me is you wear excuse making as a badge of honour. Your approach is to blame the past instead of think of a way forward.
I’m a rugby league fanatic mate whether you like it or not and I am a big fan of the international game whether you believe it or not.
The failure of league internationally is a lack of commitment and will from the controlling bodies.
Not Vichy. Not anybody else. It’s the administrations fault for failing to act proactively to grow the game.
We as a game have failed to think outside our old boundaries and have let the narrow minded administrators of clubs hold the game back while they defend a diminishing market.
It’s 2019 not 1985. It’s a new world and requires a proactive approach. Not the hand wringing and whinging you excel at.

It certainly wasn't Vichy! It was rugby union that lobbied for rugby league to be banned/outlawed in France! Think you have underestimated the many areas whereby union holds back rugby league. I agree that the games administrators have been poor. Especially given what a supreme sport rugby league is. One of the constant issues in NSW for instance is the ever present shunning of rugby league in NSW elite private schools. Recently independent private schools in Brisbane were lobbied by complaining parents for rugby league to be offered at such schools. The code is now being played in term 3 at such schools. Given this can happen in Qld surely NSW can get on board. At the moment it's an embarassing shame that rugby league has no presence in NSW elite private schools. It can happen however the administrators, as you quite rightly denounce have no inclination or mongrel to get rugby league into such schools. Just one example of the repression of rugby league in NSW. There are plenty more examples around the world as well. But yes it's a mix of poor administration and repressive tactics from union that is limiting rugby league's genuine growth. We may have got off on the wrong foot Shark but hopefully we agree on this.

taipan

Referee

You cannot handle the situation that exists in SA.You are correct ,I'm not the only person who knows the situation in SA, and I'm basing my info from people, who do know better than I.
The difference is you think @ a money flows from trees ,the RLIF has very little, the NRL is endowed with so much it can cover all International aspects when it can bareley handle this country and the Pacific Islands and PNG.b) The overwhelming development has been done by local volunteers, with minimal RLIF and indeed RLEF and NRL financial support.

Vichy (with ru officials lobbying)was responsible for French rl banned , having zero Govt assistance post WW2 in that country till early 2000s to now.It couldn't even call itself rugby league ,but the French equivalent of Game of X111.And it was ru in 1941 who put the 13 man code into decades of standing still because of non recognition.You are in denial.Have you read the French Govt report on Sport under Vichy which came out in 2002, the finger was directly pointed at rugby union as trying to eliminate a competitor.

One is well aware of rl admin incompetence the Sharks were experts ,but one is well aware of the crap ru put on rl for decades.
Diminishing market LOL.There are more countries playing rugby league at various levels ,than any time now of its existence.

You are confusing "diminishing market" with what is happening with rugby union in this country.Force gone.Rebels now worried they could lose money and be in financial sh*t if they have a semi in Melbourne.Crowds for all Super clubs here ,are in serious decline.There is now. concern for ru in Japan, due to their Super exclusion.They at least have. a Shute Shield here, where people care in Sydney.
Crowds down in SA and NZ.
So don't preach to me about narrow minded administrators.The ARU takes the cake.

The trouble is I'm a realist, you are just a Jonny come lately union apologist ,who has SFA knowledge of what is going on.You had it appears ,zero idea of Norway and its official approval,Same in Serbia,Lebanon,Ukraine.You need to get out of your bubble .

You might get some idea when RLWC 2021 is in progress.

Shark62

Juniors
You cannot handle the situation that exists in SA.You are correct ,I'm not the only person who knows the situation in SA, and I'm basing my info from people, who do know better than I.
The difference is you think @ a money flows from trees ,the RLIF has very little, the NRL is endowed with so much it can cover all International aspects when it can bareley handle this country and the Pacific Islands and PNG.b) The overwhelming development has been done by local volunteers, with minimal RLIF and indeed RLEF and NRL financial support.

Vichy (with ru officials lobbying)was responsible for French rl banned , having zero Govt assistance post WW2 in that country till early 2000s to now.It couldn't even call itself rugby league ,but the French equivalent of Game of X111.And it was ru in 1941 who put the 13 man code into decades of standing still because of non recognition.You are in denial.Have you read the French Govt report on Sport under Vichy which came out in 2002, the finger was directly pointed at rugby union as trying to eliminate a competitor.

One is well aware of rl admin incompetence the Sharks were experts ,but one is well aware of the crap ru put on rl for decades.
Diminishing market LOL.There are more countries playing rugby league at various levels ,than any time now of its existence.

You are confusing "diminishing market" with what is happening with rugby union in this country.Force gone.Rebels now worried they could lose money and be in financial sh*t if they have a semi in Melbourne.Crowds for all Super clubs here ,are in serious decline.There is now. concern for ru in Japan, due to their Super exclusion.They at least have. a Shute Shield here, where people care in Sydney.
Crowds down in SA and NZ.
So don't preach to me about narrow minded administrators.The ARU takes the cake.

The trouble is I'm a realist, you are just a Jonny come lately union apologist ,who has SFA knowledge of what is going on.You had it appears ,zero idea of Norway and its official approval,Same in Serbia,Lebanon,Ukraine.You need to get out of your bubble .

You might get some idea when RLWC 2021 is in progress.
Another rant by a bitter man.
As for me being a union apologist provide some evidence or pull your head in.

taipan

Referee
Another rant by a bitter man.
As for me being a union apologist provide some evidence or pull your head in.

Darryl the denier.
Grow up mate.This is not the fight club and you can't handle the truth.
I'm not going to repeat myself here.

Another apologist for Vichy emerges. There’s been plenty come and go with that erroneous view.

Obviously a sport being banned outright - at both professional AND amateur level - and which had its entire substantial asset base stolen from it would not be adversely affected by those events.

Quality argument there.

Shark62

Juniors
Darryl the denier.
Grow up mate.This is not the fight club and you can't handle the truth.
I'm not going to repeat myself here.
In other words you have nothing. If you have ‘the truth’ produce it. I’m here to discuss international footy. Now put up or shut up.

Shark62

Juniors
Another apologist for Vichy emerges. There’s been plenty come and go with that erroneous view.

Obviously a sport being banned outright - at both professional AND amateur level - and which had its entire substantial asset base stolen from it would not be adversely affected by those events.

Quality argument there.
How is that chip on your shoulder?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
There is an article on South African Rugby League in this month's Rugby League World Magazine. Interesting they mention league was broadcast in SA on TV in the early 90's rating around 1.2 million.

There now is a change in direction from the national team in that they are now going to focus on heritage players from the major league nations.

Stallion

First Grade
There is an article on South African Rugby League in this month's Rugby League World Magazine. Interesting they mention league was broadcast in SA on TV in the early 90's rating around 1.2 million.

There now is a change in direction from the national team in that they are now going to focus on heritage players from the major league nations.

Handy information . It's clear rugbyleague is an attractive sport. It's also clear that when it starts to get big or look like getting traction other "forces " make sure rugby league does not rise or grow.

Shark62

Juniors

It would be nice to think that the rlif will put a proper strategy together for developing the game in SA.
Engaging with government, putting in development programs, and giving young talented rugby players the opportunity to experience league in Australia would be a good start.
It’s a massive untapped market dominated, in my opinion, by an inferior version of rugby.
It would take some hard work but the benefits could be huge if it’s done properly.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Handy information . It's clear rugbyleague is an attractive sport. It's also clear that when it starts to get big or look like getting traction other "forces " make sure rugby league does not rise or grow.

Former South African captain Jamie Bloem who also played union in SA mentions how union shut league down and the game has no chance as union won't allow it. I guess that's why they want it administered under the union umbrella:(:(

Shark62

Juniors
Former South African captain Jamie Bloem who also played union in SA mentions how union shut league down and the game has no chance as union won't allow it. I guess that's why they want it administered under the union umbrella:(:(
Then our international leadership will have to work that little bit harder.

Alternatively we can just give up

Latest posts