What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"South East QLD Titans"

ram raid

Bench
About 1350km by road. Typo, fair enough.

But the 1/4 of people at Cowboys games wearing broncos jerseys? Nah.

I definitely could be wrong about that. It's only my observation from seeing the crowd on TV. Plus I know some redneck meth cooks who live up there who are mad broncs fans.

flippikat

Bench
Black and Yellow, South Queensland Wasps.

Not bad. A unique colour combo in the NRL, plus it doesn't step on the toes of Ipswich or Redcliffe's brands - if the NRL are keen to see them as options for 3rd & 4th Brisbane clubs later on...

Doesn't bother the Perth bid either, as the Pirates would be red, black & either yellow or gold...

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
QLD Government through Stadiums QLD own both stadiums
Yep, Lang Park with multiple tenants already, only one for Robina.

Cheaper rent at Robina or we may just as well go to Lang Park or fold.

About time too.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Not bad. A unique colour combo in the NRL, plus it doesn't step on the toes of Ipswich or Redcliffe's brands - if the NRL are keen to see them as options for 3rd & 4th Brisbane clubs later on...

Doesn't bother the Perth bid either, as the Pirates would be red, black & either yellow or gold...

Pirates (Which I highly want to just be the Reds because Red Kangaroos are much more WA than a Pirate Skeleton) should just be Red & Black as North's are never coming back.

Wasps or Hornets works for the SQ team because;

We haven't got any insect teams yet
It's not some over done Americanised name
A wasp mascot/bumblebee for little kids is easy to pull off and an easy to market junior program (wicked wasps, busy bees, footy stingers, etc).

flippikat

Bench
If the Titans moved to Brisbane, and played 2 or 3 games in Robina per year, it wouldn't be the first time the NRL has left a newish stadium as a White Elephant.. remember when the Northern Eagles collapsed & left Gosford's stadium with very little to show...?

As Mark Twain is attributed as saying, "history doesn't repeat, but it often rhymes..."

ram raid

Bench
We haven't got any insect teams yet
It's not some over done Americanised name
A wasp mascot/bumblebee for little kids is easy to pull off and an easy to market junior program (wicked wasps, busy bees, footy stingers, etc).

Hawthorn colours? Haven't been taken. Only conflict would be with the Tigs.

Black and red haven't been taken either. Brisbane Bombers ! I always wanted them for Blacktown though.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Hawthorn colours? Haven't been taken. Only conflict would be with the Tigs.

Black and red haven't been taken either. Brisbane Bombers ! I always wanted them for Blacktown though.

Black and Red are Perths colours hands down.

Black and Yellow hoops (like Taranaki) are perfect for Brisbane 2. The Brissy Bees

ram raid

Bench
Black and Red are Perths colours hands down.

Black and Yellow hoops (like Taranaki) are perfect for Brisbane 2. The Brissy Bees

I always though Perth reds would just be red. Like the Qld reds. I was think more of black jersey with with red stripes or a V.

adamkungl

Immortal
1. Moving up the road won't fix the Titans main problem - which is they suck.
No one in Brisbane, a town which already has a huge club, is gonna show up to see a poorly performing, relocated team.
Moving up the road isn't going to make them play, recruit, or coach better.

2. Moving the Titans only partially solves the SE QLD problem - yes we'd have a 2nd Brisbane team instantly, but still, 3 SE QLD teams is ideal.
When inevitably the issue of expansion in SE QLD comes up again, where do we go? A 5th attempt at the GC?
The Gold Coast is Australia's biggest non-capital city region. It will support a successful team.

ReddFelon

Juniors
3 SE QLD teams is ideal.

Is it though? Australia has only had 2 cities with more than 3 teams successfully operate in a sporting competition and in both situations those teams were part of a smaller city based comp that expanded over a lengthy time period.

There's never been an expansion market with more than 2 successful teams.

T-Boon

Coach

It might.
Most people think a new Brisbane team would work pretty well. So why not this?
This might take a few years, but they should be able to get better third party deals and thus recruit better. They might also be able to tap into a rivalry with the Broncos and draw an okay crowd.
They need to change the jersey which presently is undescribable. They need to get some connection with Qld. Get Wally on board as the ambassador. Steal some of the Broncos Junior base will piss them off.

No one in Brisbane, a town which already has a huge club, is gonna show up to see a poorly performing, relocated team.
Moving up the road isn't going to make them play, recruit, or coach better.

2. Moving the Titans only partially solves the SE QLD problem - yes we'd have a 2nd Brisbane team instantly, but still, 3 SE QLD teams is ideal.
When inevitably the issue of expansion in SE QLD comes up again, where do we go? A 5th attempt at the GC?
The Gold Coast is Australia's biggest non-capital city region. It will support a successful team.

Most (All) places will support a successful team, the real test is when things are tough.

I can’t say for sure why the Gold Coast struggles with sports teams so often, but it’s an amazing coincidence if it’s not somehow linked to the support they get. The AFL team is a basket case too, that’s before we even mention all the other clubs that have failed there.

adamkungl

Immortal
Mythical QLD vibes and TPAs also aren't the reason they suck.

They struggle to recruit talent because they have been poor for years, this applies to any team anywhere.
They compound this with bad quick fix decisions like the whole Hayne-Henry fiasco.

Instead of delusions of grandeur thinking they're gonna be an alternative to the Broncos, look at how other smaller clubs have managed to dig themselves out of holes.

T-Boon

Coach
Is it though? Australia has only had 2 cities with more than 3 teams successfully operate in a sporting competition and in both situations those teams were part of a smaller city based comp that expanded over a lengthy time period.

There's never been an expansion market with more than 2 successful teams.

You are probably being a bit generous with Sydney saying there are more than 3 successful NRL teams. I am confident a 2nd and indeed a 3rd Brisbane team will get better crowds than Penrith, Manly, Cronulla etc.

Latest posts