What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Island Kea

Canard

Immortal
And are they really using the Packers as an example, a team that have sold out season tickets for the last 64 years, and have a waiting list of 147,000 people who are willing to wait decades for the chance.
Not to mention that a the original float was 1000 shares at $5 a piece in 1923.

And are they really using the Packers as an example, a team that have sold out season tickets for the last 64 years, and have a waiting list of 147,000 people who are willing to wait decades for the chance.
Union types love to brag about their connections with what they like to call "the big-end-of-town" and other such big-noting nonsense, so here we have two union types-Moffett and Marinos with the begging bowl out trying to get the plebs to finance their bid.
Any way I always thought IPO`s occurred after a business was established and successful.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If you can guarantee that the Warriors and/or Keas are either the home or away team every Friday night for the 6pm (8pm NZ) game, the value of the 6pm slot increases. And really a second NZ team is the only thing that can do that. I suspect that will be a factor in the NRL's decision making.
Yeah it'd probably be great for the broadcast value, but I imagine that playing pretty much every home game at 8.00pm on a Friday could do a lot of damage to attendance for both clubs.

docbrown

Coach
Yeah it'd probably be great for the broadcast value, but I imagine that playing pretty much every home game at 8.00pm on a Friday could do a lot of damage to attendance for both clubs.
It wouldn't have to be every home game. Just an example - say 8 for the Warriors, 8 for the Keas. That leaves 4 home games for each club on the weekend (and unlikely they'll be Thursdays).

This year there's only 20 rounds out of 27 with Friday 6pm games. So the other 4 to 11 games (depending on how many rounds you have with a Friday 6pm game) would featured Warriors or Keas as the away team in Australia (beamed to NZ in their 8pm slot though).

Overall, I'd suspect it would actually improve crowds for the league as a whole.

Wb1234

Referee
If you can guarantee that the Warriors and/or Keas are either the home or away team every Friday night for the 6pm (8pm NZ) game, the value of the 6pm slot increases. And really a second NZ team is the only thing that can do that. I suspect that will be a factor in the NRL's decision making.
Or Sunday midday that was a good time slot for the wahs too

The Great Dane

First Grade
It wouldn't have to be every home game. Just an example - say 8 for the Warriors, 8 for the Keas. That leaves 4 home games for each club on the weekend (and unlikely they'll be Thursdays).

This year there's only 20 rounds out of 27 with Friday 6pm games. So the other 4 to 11 games (depending on how many rounds you have with a Friday 6pm game) would featured Warriors or Keas as the away team in Australia (beamed to NZ in their 8pm slot though).

Overall, I'd suspect it would actually improve crowds for the league as a whole.
Tell me you don't attend games, without telling me you don't attend games.

8 is a firm majority of both teams home games being played at a comparatively shit time for attendance. You're out of touch if you don't think that that'd impact crowds and season ticket sales for both clubs.

It'd also inevitably restrict the FTA exposure of the other clubs with the majority of Fridays ending up as an NZ 6pm and Broncos 8pm combo, which would have broad implications for the other clubs and competition as well.

There're other stakeholder concerns that have to be considered than just what'd be best for the broadcaster's.

Perth Red

Post Whore

8 is a firm majority of both teams home games being played at a comparatively shit time for attendance. You're out of touch if you don't think that that'd impact crowds and season ticket sales for both clubs.

It'd also inevitably restrict the FTA exposure of the other clubs with the majority of Fridays ending up as an NZ 6pm and Broncos 8pm combo, which would have broad implications for the other clubs and competition as well.

There're other stakeholder concerns that have to be considered than just what'd be best for the broadcaster's.
Interestingly in UK most clubs found Fri evening the most popular for fan attendance despite it being very traditional to have RL on a Sunday afternoon there. Also better for corporate box sales.
Mindful though that a winters night in Auckland might not be as appealing as a light summers Friday night in England!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Interestingly in UK most clubs found Fri evening the most popular for fan attendance despite it being very traditional to have RL on a Sunday afternoon there. Also better for corporate box sales.
Mindful though that a winters night in Auckland might not be as appealing as a light summers Friday night in England!
IDK, there may be exceptions, but that's not my experience in Australia. I almost guarantee that travel time is better on average in England than AUS on average as well, haven't got a clue about Auckland or Christchurch though.

I almost guarantee that you'll see measurable impacts on attendance if kick off to most of a teams home games is 8pm on a Friday over an extended period. The first thing you'd notice is a drop off in families with kids attending, especially young kids, and an increase in young professionals who work in the city.

The NRL needs to consider how NZ brands run against each other - Warriors and either Kea or Katipo are a good contrast - one (mostly) blue and white & with a human mascot, the other either green & orange with a bird OR red & black with a spider (assuming it's a choice between Kea & Katipo).

Crucially, both options leave scope for a 3rd NZ team that has gold or yellow as a big part of it's colours - commonly used by Wellington based teams, and the Central Pulse (Netball) which is lower North Island, and central districts cricket (lower North Island & some of the upper South, minus Wellington) which wears green with yellow & black.
It's a refreshing change to see bids not ripping off American brands. I'd be happy for both bids and the Orcas to get licences on that basis alone.

The Broncos play more home games on a Thursday and Friday night than any other club. Their attendances are significantly higher than any other club in the world.

flippikat

Bench
Yeah, as far as timeslots go, the question is whether beoadcasters/clubs want more assistance filling the 6pm Sydney Friday slot (in which case NZ 2 helps most, picking up home games then) or 6pm Sydney Sunday slot (which is where Perth comes in handy).

Matiunz

Juniors
Think Christchurch might be ok with that slot, stadium is CBD and indoors so would capture the Fri night post work crowd night out crowd quite well.
My Smart location is pretty industrial and with Aucklands famous Friday night traffic can be a bit of a pain to get to, public transport isn’t much better. Believe the Warriors preferred slot is the early Sun arvo games

Matua

Bench
Union types love to brag about their connections with what they like to call "the big-end-of-town" and other such big-noting nonsense, so here we have two union types-Moffett and Marinos with the begging bowl out trying to get the plebs to finance their bid.
Any way I always thought IPO`s occurred after a business was established and successful.
You're discussing an Australianism on a thread about a NZ which doesn't work.

Matua

Bench
Think Christchurch might be ok with that slot, stadium is CBD and indoors so would capture the Fri night post work crowd night out crowd quite well.
My Smart location is pretty industrial and with Aucklands famous Friday night traffic can be a bit of a pain to get to, public transport isn’t much better. Believe the Warriors preferred slot is the early Sun arvo games
The reality is for going to games the 8pm Friday night slot sucks, for TV watching in Australia it's great as it allows for two games to not clash.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
M
beat me to it. Friday night is great for Christchurch but Saturday or Sunday work better for Auckland. In addition to being much larger and more spread out than Christchurch and having serious traffic congestion on a Friday afternoon Auckland also has a much larger population of potential out of town fans within a 2-3 hour radius (probably another 750k on top of Auckland’s population).

The Great Dane

First Grade
The Broncos play more home games on a Thursday and Friday night than any other club. Their attendances are significantly higher than any other club in the world.
I know you think this is some kind of gotcha, but it's really not.

For a whole bunch of reasons Brisbane is a lot kinder market to RL than the average. Using it as a baseline for the norm is silly.
Their highest gates have come on a Friday.
For big finals games sure, not so much for the regular season though.