What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Sydney Rabbitohs Star Sam Burgess Is As Fresh As a Daisy

David Riccio
The Sunday Telegraph
July 25, 2010 12:01AM

461372-sam-burgess-rabbitohs.jpg

Thriving ... Souths forward Sam Burgess says that the brutal pace of the NRL has made him fitter than ever. Source: The Daily Telegraph

SOUTHS forward Sam Burgess has played down the rigours of the NRL by declaring he's in better shape now than during his four years in the English Super League.

"Mentally I'm feeling great," said Burgess, who is building a reputation as one of the greatest English imports to play rugby league in Australia.

"My body is sore a day after the game but I feel a lot fresher than I did in Super League.

"We played 27 rounds with a Challenge Cup throughout the season in England, so you play 30 games of weekly competition without finals.

"Over here I'm playing maybe six games less a year, which is good.

"We've got seven games plus finals, hopefully."

Burgess, 21, is confident the Rabbitohs can win today's crunch match against the Warriors at ANZ Stadium and go on to reach the finals.

"The signs are there that we're in the running with the top sides," Burgess said.

"We're leading for the majority of games and getting pipped at the post, which is disappointing.

"We shouldn't get down on that because if we knock a few wins off, we'll be all right."

Burgess "loves playing in the big games", which he proved last weekend with a man-of-the-match performance in the narrow loss to St George Illawarra.

And he has no fear of burning out.

"I'm in a good state of mind to kick on and keep going," he said. "I feel individually I'm improving each week. I've just got to keep working hard with the team."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...fresh-as-a-daisy/story-e6frexnr-1225896461428 http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...fresh-as-a-daisy/story-e6frexnr-1225896461428

Really pleased to see him going well for you guys. Him and Ellis have been successes and the more English players playing in your comp, the better the national team we will have.

James Graham is the latest one to be linked to Oz. From my own point of view (Sts fan as per my username) then I would be gutted but he would get even better as a player.

jackb

Juniors
Really pleased to see him going well for you guys. Him and Ellis have been successes and the more English players playing in your comp, the better the national team we will have.

James Graham is the latest one to be linked to Oz. From my own point of view (Sts fan as per my username) then I would be gutted but he would get even better as a player.

Sam is playing great football, even better than expected. He is as good as any, and probably better, than any forward in the NRL as far as hard running and tough tackling is concerned.

We all want to see a competitive Great Britian in the four nations at the end of our season and Sam will be the one to lead you in the forwards. Best of luck!

PSF,James Graham would make it in the NRL bigtime,he is a quality player.

PSF,James Graham would make it in the NRL bigtime,he is a quality player.

Agreed mate. He is an 80 min player, is rarely spelled, can tackle and has a good pair of hands. Also works as hard as anyone in taking the ball in. He has played 1st grade for 6 yrs and is still only 24. Phenomenal forward.

Latest posts