What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southern to knights, if so recruitment drive over!

I like the way we have gone for talented NYC players. If we get a reputation for giving kids a start in grade many more will follow. That is thinking outside the box for once at least. Some will call it a result of a lack of marquee signings and probably have a point. However the potential if we get it right will be the foundations for a premiership.

Starting to think that myself.

With.

1. Gidley.
2. Uate.
4. Sau.
6. Mullen.
8. Cross.
9. De Gois.
10. Costigan.
11. Patterson.
12. Taia.
13. Hilder.

14. Fa'aosso.

Above are for mine our key players, and if we can fill the gaps with the rest then we should have a pretty quality squad next year with a good mixture of youth and experience.

Obviously a topline Centre and Prop would have been awesome but with all your up and commers we should have the squad to get into the 8 next year.

aqua_duck

Coach
We are probably the worst at this in the entire NRL. We have given one eligible NYC player a go in first grade over 3 years.
this is true but if guys like Likiliki, KOD and Henry can get a regular 1st grade gig it will attract more top line NYC players. I regretting we didn't get Ashton and Tariq as a package. Ashton is a good back up/interchange player who's still quite young and Tariq would have been a good signing for the future.

In 3 years time hopefully kids like Tetevano, KOD, Cook, Ailaomoi, start filtering into 1st grade, and hopefully guys like Paterson and Mika can get better.

Archduke_Franz

Juniors
Its now official, Southern is a Knight.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/?s=article-display&id=30744

KNIGHTS SIGN STEVE SOUTHERN

newcastleknights.com

24/09/2010 11:45:00 AM

The Newcastle Knights have bolstered their forward pack by securing the signature of hardworking North Queensland Cowboys back rower Steve Southern for the 2011 season.
Southern, 28, is a Dapto junior who progressed through the junior representative ranks at St George Illawarra before signing with the North Queensland Cowboys in 2004.
After seven seasons including 123 NRL matches and a Grand Final appearance in 2005, the man affectionately known as ‘Bluey’ has developed a reputation as a tough player with a no nonsense approach, making his connection to the Newcastle Knights a perfect fit.
“Steve is a great acquisition to our club and I’m really looking forward to working with him when we reassemble our squad in early November,” Knights Coach Rick Stone said.
“Bluey has an unquestionable work ethic with a relentless attention to detail which fits our club culture and adds some invaluable experience to our relatively young squad.”
Southern will join the Newcastle Knights squad in early November when they resume training for the off season.

perverse

Referee
fuuuu-.jpg

aqua_duck

Coach
What Stone sees in this bloke I will never know. Bolstered is certainly a very subjective word in this case.

B-dos

Referee
i hope we paid overs too

now... wheres the next reject from a struggling club we can go after?

So two players that some weeks couldnt even make the starting 13 for pretty much the sh*ttest NRL teams feeder club the last couple of years are 2/3 of our Marquee signings........

Only consolation is its a 1 year deal and his probably comming for chicken feed.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
god... why would we waste the chicken feed?

would somebody please think of the chickens???

On the Southern signing, looking for the bright side (and it's not easy to find), the bloke has a rep as an epic trainer... like Marc Glanville style ultra professional. Maybe it might rub off on good young forwards that just need to learn how to be first graders... blokes like Zane, Ailaomai, etc.

Other than that, I can't see him adding much :(

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
to be honest i think Stone is trying to get some older heads around to help Crossy smack these kids upside the ears. i believe you're on the right track, TJS.

that doesn't mean i like this signing. it's just the only possible reason i can perceive for it.

aqua_duck

Coach
If we wanted to sign someone to help our youngsters train I'd just hire Sione Finefuiaki as a strength and conditioning coach. Imagine having him scream at ya in training

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I remember in 2001 when we signed Paul Marquet and many people thought he was a dud signing. He turned out to be an asset to the team as he improved a lot of the other players professionalism at training. I remember reading somewhere that when he was on the training field no one cut corners like they had previously. Marquet was at best solid in attack, but he offered a lot in defence and played off the bench in our premiership winning team. Hopefully Southern can offer the team what Marquet did. I'm not holding my breath though.

macavity

Referee
If we wanted to sign someone to help our youngsters train I'd just hire Sione Finefuiaki as a strength and conditioning coach. Imagine having him scream at ya in training

Don't think he is the screaming type.

He is bloody scary in the gym though.

Rolla

Juniors
First signing i can say i am disapointed with.

However it is done now and all we can do is pray that he either plays his arse off to earn a firstgrade spot or bolsters our depth and plays for the centurians. I think either way it shows what our intentions for Costigan will be.

My biggest fear is that he will be gifted a spot ahead of KOD, Mika, Cook, Zane etc when he might not necessarily deserve it. we better not see ciraldo in fg next year now.

All the best though. Hope he proves us wrong.

Bicey_18

Bench
WOO HOO!!! Bluey Southern is a Knight!

Great signing imo... A player who gives it his all and puts his body on the line.

Welcome Steve, welcome

First signing i can say i am disapointed with.

However it is done now and all we can do is pray that he either plays his arse off to earn a firstgrade spot or bolsters our depth and plays for the centurians. I think either way it shows what our intentions for Costigan will be.

My biggest fear is that he will be gifted a spot ahead of KOD, Mika, Cook, Zane etc when he might not necessarily deserve it. we better not see ciraldo in fg next year now.

All the best though. Hope he proves us wrong.

That was my first thought and then they'll f**k off to another team and become solid players.

Latest posts