What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths 2009 Team

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
i hope mcqueen develops quickly, but you have to give kids like him at least a year in nyc before talking about a promotion. talanoa was very strong in the second half of the season. i think we will kick on in 09. m still keeping a position open for champion in my side. i think he is one off season from cementing a first grade position perminantly. but yeh, wesser is very mediocre these days. which is why i dont think he should automatically selected as fullback, expecially with max playing so well

Sonic Star

Juniors
Hopefully Mcqueen shines. ATM since our new structure.
We seem to have un earthed a new star each year.

Issac Luke and now Chris Sandow.

Backs

1. Rhys Wesser
2. Nathan Merritt
3. Colin Best
4. Beau Champion
5. Fetuli Talonoa

If Mcqueen turns out to be a star and steps up.

Alternate backline

1. Rhys Wesser
2. Nathan Merritt
3. Colin Best
4. Fetuli Talonoa
5. Chris Mcqueen

We brought Mcqueen to play in the wing and to cover the centre and fullback roles.

Back up options:
Shannon Hegarty
Jamie Simpson
Luke Capewell
Beau Champion/Mcqueen depends on first selection or 2nd
Ben Lowe could be another option to play in the centres if really needed.

Halves

6. Wing
7. Sandow

I think the halves pick them selves at the moment.

back up options:

John Sutton
Luke Capewell
Hear we in the market for a young half back to play NYC

Props/Hooker

8. Scott Geddes at the moment unless we sign a better player
9. Issac Luke
10. Roy Astoasi

Back up props and hookers:
Michael Greenfield
Jamien Lowe
Luke Stuart
Beau Falloon

Back row

11. Luke Stuart
12. David Faalago
13. John Sutton

back up options:

Ben Lowe
Shannon Mcphearson
David Kidwell
Eddie Pettybourne

Bench atm
14. Beau Falloon
15. Michael Greenfield
16. David Kidwell
17. Ben Lowe .... could cover lock, second row and centres if needed.

That's the side unless we sign some more players.
Heard we signed up a prop forward I'm not sure who it's at the moment.

Last edited:

Dave Q

Coach
Thanks Sonic, a very thoughtful contribution firmly anchored in reality. Realistically its going to take me a few hours to digeset, examine and consider it which I dont have today whilst Im working ( or supposed to be! ).

I suppose my reluctance to chose players is born out of my dissapointment of this season and many of the players performances.

A lot of them really need to take a good look at themselves and the absolute catastrophe that was the first half of 2008.

My news is that Taylor is under significant pressure by the cadre and they wont tolerate another bad start.

Lang is a ready replacement with a marquee footballing head on his shoulders. This mail is very reliably sourced.

Taylor was also lucky that the sponsers put their hands up again.

He doesnt deserve the full brunt of critcism, no way, but even he wouldnt be so brave as to suggest that changes shouldnt be made.

BTW Whilst he is coach, I make it clear here, he gets my undying and 100% support.

We need players lads, good wholesome, better than average players.

Last edited:

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
you cant hold jt too accountable. if you want to crucify him for the start of this year, you have to remember last year, and the middle of this year. player recuitment wasnt great last year, and whilst it has improved this year, its not quite up to where we need it to be. but jt is still young. he's now had the highs and lows as a coach, and i think he will have learnt a lot.

pretty good lineup sonic. but i think macpherson and lowe should be definate starters. shannon didnt do too much flashy stuff this year, but if you look closely, he has a fair work load and gets it done without fuss... and as far as i'm concerned, b.lowe didnt have a ppor game all year in nrl. amazes me he kept getting dropped

Current Forward pack = :thumbd:

We need some serious investment in the Forwards before next year. Don't ask me where we are going to get 'em from but that pack listed above and especially the reserve bench is the poorest in the NRL.

IMO we would need one more marquee prop and then at least one other week in week out NRL quality forward (preferably someone who could play back or front row). If we can add that to the team above I'd be feeling a whole lot better.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Certainly not the poorest bench in the NRL. I would take it IN A HEARTBEAT over the Eels bench, although the Eels need a second prop on the bench (wish Hagan would realise that) because they don't have a Luke Stuart.

Take out Moi Moi, Hindmarsh and Mateo and the Eels have the most worthless pack in history. Even with them, it's no where near good.

Dave Q

Coach
Certainly not the poorest bench in the NRL. I would take it IN A HEARTBEAT over the Eels bench, although the Eels need a second prop on the bench (wish Hagan would realise that) because they don't have a Luke Stuart.

Take out Moi Moi, Hindmarsh and Mateo and the Eels have the most worthless pack in history. Even with them, it's no where near good.

Still finished above us!

We gotta get tough boys, the NRL comp is not a trial run.

From now on, second best is nothing and I for one am are just not wearing it anymore.

Any player who doesnt own up, is going to get an on-line belting from me.

I expect every one of us to do the same.

The rabbitohs 2009 season started the second after the last bloke shook Billy's hand.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

No nongs or rejects play for Souths anymore, simple as that.

Theres the door, out they fugging go.

Now is there anyone in the club who didnt understand that?

Last edited:

grandorient

Bench
H'm,

If you ask me, thats not a bad lineup, and yes I think JT will do the right thing by you guys next year. Could be far worse, you could have Brownie coming over next year.

Seriously guys, your squad looks pretty good, albeit a little thin on the bench.

It is funny though, when you look at squads for the following year and I am talking about Saints as well as Souths, and for that matter any other team, they all look like world beaters and when the new season kicks in you wonder what went wrong.

Am I waffling a bit here??

GO

Dave Q

Coach
H'm,

If you ask me, thats not a bad lineup, and yes I think JT will do the right thing by you guys next year. Could be far worse, you could have Brownie coming over next year.

Seriously guys, your squad looks pretty good, albeit a little thin on the bench.

It is funny though, when you look at squads for the following year and I am talking about Saints as well as Souths, and for that matter any other team, they all look like world beaters and when the new season kicks in you wonder what went wrong.

Am I waffling a bit here??

GO

Nope.

I was more hopeful earlier this year than I am now. Im sort of quiet now. Neither glum nor confident.

I think last year we had more players hitting some form and better options. We did really well to get to the finals..

Now we have had a rush of fresh players, Sandow just bolted, Simpson and Capewell settled in well, they will be great players in a few years.

We have some gaps to plug....perhaps

On the positive, we have a decent off season coming with Lang on board and thats going to help us a great deal.

People such as Bozo Fulton thought we would have a much better year this year mainly due to closer ties between players and coach. That was an interesting view as it doesnt just rely on the injection of new players.

No doubt JT is still stuck in his year-in-review study. That goes on for several weeks and rolls into prep for next season. He is very thorough and Im sure he isnt going to like most of it. Some of it was pretty good. It wasnt a hopeless season, but it was well below what we anticipated.

But Im still on the train.

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
Found a copy of telegraph

From Sunday telegraph
Sunday 21st September 08

Wings separating
Cronulla has signed Luke Covell to a new contract, but we're told Misi Taulapapa, the three try hero of last week's win over Canberra, is off the South Sydney next year.

I some how missed that... strange, seeing as its one of the few sections of the telegraph i actually read