What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths Extend Shaun McRae's Contract

yobbo84

Coach
Coach Shaun McRae's Contract Extended for One Year

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have announced the one-year extension of Head Coach Shaun McRae’s contract today.

McRae led the Rabbitohs throughout the 2005 season, guiding the side to six wins from their last eight games, creating the momentum the side needs going into the 2006 premiership.

“I’m very happy to be extending my contract for a further season,” McRae said today.

“I think we are building a strong Club here at South Sydney and I’m glad that I will be a part of the Club’s future.

“We have a strong coaching staff and the playing staff is getting stronger all the time. There are exciting times ahead for the Club and I’m happy I will be involved in that.”

Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson says McRae’s extension will provide the football side with stability moving forward.

“Shaun has done a great job and is an excellent communicator,” Mr Richardson said.

“We are confident that with Shaun at the helm we can continue to build our playing strength and continue to move up the premiership ladder.”

Source: http://www.souths.com.au/fanzone/viewnewsarticle.asp?ArticleID=1369

--------------------------------------------
I'm interested to know what non-Souths supporters think of this signing? Personally I couldn't be more pleased. He was off contract at the end of 2006, and it would've created more uncertainty within the club (esp. come June 30 and trying to sign players).

It also shows Bomber that they have faith in his plans and methods and lets him get on with business. Along with the re-signing of key players to 2-4 year contracts, it seems we're headed in the right way towards stability and success... now, to rid ourselves of Piggins!

Any thoughts?

P.S. If Bomber is not the bloke on the Pringles boxes then I'm not here!

Parra Guru

Coach
I thought he did a good job last year, and I think the team will only improve under him.

He seems to give them confidence and self belief which is what Souths have been missing over the years.

innsaneink

Referee
monopoly.jpg

He reminds me of the monopoly guy......good move by Souths, he was never going to be able to do miracles overnight, he needs time, hes shown with his first year hes improved the team...have faith.

sooperdooper

First Grade
innsaneink said:
monopoly.jpg

He reminds me of the monopoly guy......good move by Souths, he was never going to be able to do miracles overnight, he needs time, hes shown with his first year hes improved the team...have faith.

nothing against tigers, this is meant to be a compliment.
tigers know about faith. signed a good coach and got results a few years later!

Sharkie™

Juniors
yeh this is good move by souths because it does create a soild base and players know were they are at within the club. he is a good coach and he will be able to bring souths up the table dramatically within 3 yrs but management need faith and no coach sacking mid season because they strung a few losses together.

with some new players like big joe the club is only going forward and its good to see...

innsaneink

Referee
sooperdooper said:
nothing against tigers, this is meant to be a compliment.
tigers know about faith. signed a good coach and got results a few years later!

Yeah Sheens arrived with a long term plan, we was never gunna win the comp from day one, he didnt envisage even making the 8 until last year, his first couple years were on track with his plan and the end of last year we overachieved I guess you could say, '06 was the year we'd, "give the comp a hell of a shake."

Ive heard a few coaches talking along the lines of several year plans for a comp, and while it may seem to some that that is coaches looking for breathing space, the fact is its such a difficult excersise you need a few years to work towards one.

Souths are heading in the right direction, as long as they keep improving on seasons past, thats all you can ask for....

daslacker

Juniors
innsaneink said:
monopoly.jpg

top1.gif

He reminds me of the pringles guy..

I think it's a good move by Souths,I think he did very well last year.I also like they way he talks to the media.

Good Luck to Him.

Choppies

Coach
innsaneink said:
monopoly.jpg

He reminds me of the Pringles man tbh

Dragon_psa

First Grade
Very good move by the Bunnies. Makes a welcome change from mid season and post season sackings. Gives a lot more stability to the club, which they have been lacking for some time. All they need now is a couple of marquee players and they'll be a real force again.

nqboy

First Grade
ShArKsMaN said:
yeh this is good move by souths because it does create a soild base and players know were they are at within the club. he is a good coach and he will be able to bring souths up the table dramatically within 3 yrs but management need faith and no coach sacking mid season because they strung a few losses together.

with some new players like big joe the club is only going forward and its good to see...
The Cowboys, Wests and now the Bunnies have all gone forward in small increments in recent years. The Tigers exploded last year probably ahead of time but the quality of the players they've been able to attract, like the Cowboys before them, has lifted dramatically. If Souths keep improving, their signings will improve in quality as well. I'm certainly hoping they do.

Iafeta

Referee
Half Boon/Half Hughes.

If they could find a good halfback and keep MacDougall on the park they'd be a chance at a semi place in the next 2-3 years. Without a good halfback, they're still up sh!t creek up the paddle and IMO will float between 11th-15th again.

sunny

If Souths don't improve, then he will look more like the Monopoly guy than the Pringles guy, as that moustache will turn white!

Crikey he was lucky enough to coach there for one year without his reputation being ruined and him being disgraced.

He should have bolted to ANY other club that would take him, now his going to be destroyed just like any other worthwhile thing thats ventured into the talent destroyer thats the bunnies.

nqboy

First Grade
Another good step in the right direction for the Bunnies. But Piggins still lurks in the shadows.

Latest posts