What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

souths sign Asotasi

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
The Real Insurance Rabbitohs have announced the signing of New Zealand international Roy
Asotasi today, agreeing to a five-year contract with the famous South Sydney Club.
The Rabbitohs secured the signature of the game’s premier front-row forward ahead of strong
offers from other NRL Clubs including the Sydney Roosters and Wests Tigers, and Clubs in
the UK Super League. Asotasi, 24, has led the fearsome Bulldogs’ pack from the front on 77
occasions, plus he has represented the Kiwis in ten Tests. Asotasi is also a premiership
winner, taking out the title with the Bulldogs in 2004.
Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson says Asotasi’s signing is an historic one for the Club,
signalling the best recruitment drive the Club has seen since reinstatement.
“This is an historic day for the Rabbitohs as we have signed one of the world’s best front-row
forwards for an extended period, which is a real coup for this Club going forward,” Mr
Richardson said.
“We can now add Roy’s signing to the recruitment of Nigel Vagana, David Kidwell and Dean
Widders for next year, coupled with the exciting young players we have secured at the Club.
“This is a fantastic new start for the Rabbitohs and we look forward to seeing Roy and his
fellow recruits in red and green next season.”
Asotasi, 24, says he was attracted to the Rabbitohs because of the plans the Club has both on
and off the field and the stability that presents.
“The management at Souths have shown me a plan for the future which I had to be a part of,”
Asotasi said.
“The Club has made some great signings for next season and I can’t wait to play on a regular
basis with guys like David Kidwell, Nigel Vagana, David Fa’alogo and Joe Galuvao. I’ve had a
taste of it at Test level and to play with them week-in and week-out is something I’m looking
forward to.​
Our Sponsors: Our Community:​
“I have made a decision about which Club I see my career flourishing with and I feel that the
Rabbitohs will give me the opportunity to play with some very talented players every week and
I’m looking forward to helping them move up the premiership ladder and to greater success.”
Rabbitohs Executive Chairman Peter Holmes à Court says the Rabbitohs will be seen
differently now in the eyes of Rugby League supporters.
“The combination of our four big signings in Vagana, Kidwell, Widders and now Asotasi means
that in 2007 the Rabbitohs offer a totally different proposition for our Sponsors and our
Members,” Mr Holmes à Court said.
“It moves us away from the current perception of the Club, to a credible claim to be a top eight
contender. This holds great historical significance for this famous Club in our 100​
th season.
“We’re putting together, with the high profile outside recruits and the development of our young
players, a team that can fulfil the hopes and dreams of our many supporters.
“We know we still have a lot of work to do to build the off field systems, procedures and
facilities that are necessary to maximise the potential of players such as Roy, but I’m confident
we’ll have them in place for the 2007 season.”

PARRA_FAN

Coach
5 year deal??? :shock:

thats a huge contract, you'd hope he'd be worth the money for those 5 years.

Good signing, but lets see how he goes at Souths.

The Colonel

Immortal
Good luck to him then. It was definitely for the coin on offer that is certain. If the Bunnies can strengthen their halves they'll go well next year - decent backline and great forwards just no one to direct them around the park just yet. Five years guaranteed in today's market is a big risk though.

Wobbygong

First Grade
Career suicide but the overs Souths generally pay make it worth while.

All the name signings are going quickly, you blokes will need to pay overs to get anyone half decent. Maybe Fitzy has something up his sleeve in the ESL???????

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
he will last 2 years then want out...

tasi must be laughing all the way to the bank

souths really need some halves or theyre still gonna struggle, if walker or that metho clinic rogers is their answer then... :crazy:

6. champion
7. williams
13. sutton

might be their best bet

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Nate Myles' manager will be absolutely over the moon about this one.. Asotasi's manager would be pretty happy too.

Jesus, how did this happen? Only two quality fowards on the market and one is a loyal Knight who won't leave. We're in deep trouble if we don't get Myles.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Five years is too long. Souths probably had no choice but to offer five years to clinch the deal.

I hope Souths go well next year. I have a soft spot for them.

My fiance was a Souths fan until they got kicked out of the comp. I converted her into an Eels fan.

spiderdan

Bench
this is interesting because souths have now got gulavo, asotasi, widders (or as that idiot gary freeman calls him, withers), vagana, fa'alogo and kidwell.

they would also have to be upgrading sutton's contract if they haven't already.

those seven players would have to be taking up at least $1.5mil of their cap.

i am curious to know how they will fit the other 18 of their top 25 under the cap. even though the cap is going up it will be tough with the minimum wage going up as well.

i think they will struggle for depth big time and i think that half of those high profile players at least will experience a drop in form just because they are at souths.

but then, that's just an opinion.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Parra won't get Myles

might be forced to re-sign Azza and hope he comes good nothing else is out there.

MrT

Juniors
I'd realy like to know did we even attempt to sign asotasi. When i say attempt I mean a seious attempt because it's reported that Roosters and Tigers chased hard. Now there is only Myles out there and what 8 clubs chasing.

1.5M AND NO ONE TO BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and please Eelavation don't say be patient because i can't, there are no more quality fowards on the open market for next year

Parraren

Bench
jayjayselmes said:
I dont think we would get myles as we arent even linked to him are we ??

Yes we've been linked to him. From memory there were 8 clubs interested...Storm, Titans, Canberra, Souths, Brisbane, Roosters and Cowboys although you can rule out Souths now.

I'm guessing being a QLDer he might end up a Titan, Bronco or Cowboy, although it was mentioned Canberra have come up with a big offer for him.

Who knows. I'm not confident.

JOB 3:14

Juniors
Saying it how it is aye T.
I must admit im starting to feel the same way. Mabye im jumping the gun a little but it doesnt seem as if Hagan has started to work for Parra just yet. Mabye he is waiting till he moves in all his stuff before attempting to sign anyone.:?

Stagger eel

Staff member
MrT said:
I'd realy like to know did we even attempt to sign asotasi. When i say attempt I mean a seious attempt because it's reported that Roosters and Tigers chased hard. Now there is only Myles out there and what 8 clubs chasing.

1.5M AND NO ONE TO BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and please Eelavation don't say be patient because i can't, there are no more quality fowards on the open market for next year

ok, then don't be patient..buy yourself a ticket around the world and come back in March 2008.

what do you want to me to say?????

lucablight

First Grade
eelavation said:
ok, then don't be patient..buy yourself a ticket around the world and come back in March 2008.

what do you want to me to say?????

I think we have a right to be filthy if we don't sign anyone of note after releasing the myriad of players. It wouldn't be so bad if it had been reported we actually tried. We may have tried but keeping people in the dark about it doesn't help anyone IMO.

Stagger eel

Staff member
lucablight said:
I think we have a right to be filthy if we don't sign anyone of note after releasing the myriad of players. It wouldn't be so bad if it had been reported we actually tried. We may have tried but keeping people in the dark about it doesn't help anyone IMO.

and you think jumping for joy??? :roll:

now I'm getting the blame for it. :crazy: