What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

souths sign Asotasi

lucablight

First Grade
eelavation said:
and you think jumping for joy??? :roll:

now I'm getting the blame for it. :crazy:

I don't think anyone is blaming you for anything. I think people are just saying that the club management should be held accountable for their decisions which is something you appear hesitant in doing.

Delboy

First Grade
I'm with Eela on this, from what I have heard the management have worked hard on negotiations with Hagan heavily involved. Most of the top quality players have remained with their original clubs, and they don't want to pay overs.
Judas let us down big time, as he was pencilled in and work was going on around that promise (gee he has real good character, only Moanly would want that in their recruitment).
We have plenty of young players coming through, and we need to put in place good support for them.It is gong to be very interesting over the next week or so, as there is plenty of pressure on the club to make some signings so let's wait and see.
Having said that it is very frustrating time right now , hopefully we will hear something soon. ( trying not to hold breath and turn blue)

MrT

Juniors
FFS we never should have let Morrisson and Widders go. Who have we replaced them with, SFA.

There is no need to wait and see who we will sign because there is no one worth mentioning bar Nate Myles and we won't get him either for some stupid reason i bet. I am angry and I'm filthy, we have had more rebuilding periods than any other big club, but we haven't won a premiership in 20 years.

Letting these players go has really bitten us on the arse. Let me guess we're gonna buy Todd Lowrie, he wouldn't make our PL team. I rate Zeb, Weller and Jack all above him.

This season was ruined due to incompetant management and the next year seems headed that way also

lucablight

First Grade
Delboy said:
I'm with Eela on this, from what I have heard the management have worked hard on negotiations with Hagan heavily involved. Most of the top quality players have remained with their original clubs, and they don't want to pay overs.
Judas let us down big time, as he was pencilled in and work was going on around that promise (gee he has real good character, only Moanly would want that in their recruitment).
We have plenty of young players coming through, and we need to put in place good support for them.It is gong to be very interesting over the next week or so, as there is plenty of pressure on the club to make some signings so let's wait and see.
Having said that it is very frustrating time right now , hopefully we will hear something soon. ( trying not to hold breath and turn blue)

No one is saying that they didn't try. However keeping us fans in the dark about it creates an impression that we aren't talking to anyone. Also trying may be good and all but questions need to be asked as to why guys like Morrison and Widders were allowed to sign with other clubs before June 30 had even happened. I don't know if it is the case but it appears alot of players were let go before Lyon had even put pen to paper in an effort to accomodate him. Why?

Having said this I'm still optimistic about next year. We do have alot of good players and the Tigers were in a similar position in 2004 and they did ok the next year. One word I don't want to hear is that 2007 is a rebuilding year. That simply isn't good enough. I expect us to compete for the title next year as I believe it is a realistic expectation.

yy_cheng

Coach
Releasing nearly all your halves on a verbal agreement with Judas and then offering only $300K to him is just stupid.

Souths and the Titans have been the most vocal this year and they've signed the most players.

If we don't recruit well for 2007, we better get in early on 2008. I believe Tahu and O'Meley are off contract for 2008.

Hurriflatch

Referee
TBH, part of me is thinking it's Karma that Lyon didn't sign

Parra should never have even tried to get him back.

yy_cheng

Coach
That's only in hindsight hurri. We needed a running 5/8th. Although Judas is not one but potentially could be one (I reckon he'll be a better 5/8th than Gasnier will be), it just came as a perfect fit (back then anyway.)

If the offer was $450K for 2 years, he would probably have been on board by now.

Hurriflatch

Referee
He didn't even deserve the 300k he was offered

if he was sincere about coming back he would've taken 250k with clauses in his contract that if he leaves before the end of the deal he pays back all the money.

yy_cheng

Coach
It just depended on how much we needed him. So we stood by our principles and lost him.

Whether it is good or bad, we'll never know.

The thing is, if we have another bung year in 2007, will anyone really want to sign with us for 2008? Would Tahu (not picking on Tahu, just an example) stay or just go for the highest bidder? Would we attract O'Meley and the likes?

Unless Timmy really picks up his game so we don't need a 5/8th but just a runner at 5/8th e.g. Tahu (just like Lockyer doesn't really need a halfback just someone he will throw the ball to him), then we might struggle for a while.

Smartman

Juniors
Canterbury - The great production line of forwards until greedy clubs swoop on them.

Asotasi - A fairly small loss considering we have an abundance of forwards.

Myles - Some stupid club will pay huge overs for him, though i would rather Armit anyday.