What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths Sign Elford - They just sign anyone

Souths sign Tigers centre
August 2, 2005

SOUTH Sydney has today announced the signing of Wests Tigers centre Shane Elford for the next two NRL seasons.

Elford, 27, is veteran of 104 first grade games, having played with Penrith (1998-2003) and the Tigers for the past two seasons.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16126203-23214,00.html

Not having a go at Elford, but seriously why are Souths just signing anyone? I'd dare say that they've got enough wingers and centres available to them, do they think all of these guys can play in the forwards too? Maybe Hegarty or one of the MacDougalls are the answer to their half back worries...

The Colonel

Immortal
There is a floor in place that they have to spend in the salary cap which is $3 million. If they are well under than they have to sign players to cover that.

Big Bunny

Juniors
JoeysChiropractor said:
Souths sign Tigers centre
August 2, 2005

SOUTH Sydney has today announced the signing of Wests Tigers centre Shane Elford for the next two NRL seasons.

Elford, 27, is veteran of 104 first grade games, having played with Penrith (1998-2003) and the Tigers for the past two seasons.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16126203-23214,00.html

Not having a go at Elford, but seriously why are Souths just signing anyone? I'd dare say that they've got enough wingers and centres available to them, do they think all of these guys can play in the forwards too? Maybe Hegarty or one of the MacDougalls are the answer to their half back worries...

Have you actually been watching Souths? Apart from Buddy Gordon Souths have had no other sound options at centre. Adam MacDougall plays around 50% of games and Hegarty is not good enough to play centre nor was he ever except when he's had quality surrounding him. He's a winger, nothing more. In case you didn't notice (and im sure that you didn't) our premier league side for the most part is being offloaded. We're buying players not only for 1st grade but reserve as well. Souths are upgrading at all levels, not just the tip of the iceberg that you see in your casual observances. Signing an experienced head among others to lead and help develop our juniors is a priority.

Angry_eel

First Grade
they could have picked up peterson. maybe even convinced peachey into joining souths. he wants to help young aboriginal kids and what club could be better than souths for that.

Sun_Down

Juniors
The Colonel said:
Like who though? There isn't exactly a wide selection on this seasons' market....

Backs?

*Wes Naiqama
*Leon Pryce
*Stuart Reardon
*Jamaal Lolesi...

Sure, Lolesi and Naiqama, and maybe even the other two have been signed up already, which means the Bunnies should not have wasted time chasing Anasta, now after Anasta has signed with the Chooks, the dominant signing period has passed and there is not much left...

Phillips

Referee
Angry_eel said:
they could have picked up peterson. maybe even convinced peachey into joining souths. he wants to help young aboriginal kids and what club could be better than souths for that.

problem is Souths already have a good fullback in Todd Polglase...

Eels Dude

Coach
Peachey has already stated he will not play for another NRL club and England is the go. Elford isn't a great centre, but he is a good one, and having experienced players and some stability in the backline is something South Sydney need.

bazza

Immortal
tiger_nick - you are a genius!!! Just awaiting the news on Stuart Kelly

tiger_nick said:
I find it a bit of a worry Souths saying they have $1.75 mil to spend. What happens if they release all the players they don't want and then can't sign anybody!! They could very well be left with a team worth just on $2 million and much worse then they had this year.

Why do I get the feeling their 'big name signigs' will be Shane Elford and Stuart Kelly?

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=108364&highlight=sign+shane+elford

Booyah

Bench
A solid signing. Hopefully he'll replace that joke of a centre Hegarty from the side.

aids

Bench
good job Elf
sad to see him leave, but he should go well at the bunnies
he is a solid defensive center and pretty good in setting up his winger which i guessing is heggarty.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I think its a good signing, if you've been watching the Wests Tigers games then you'd know what Im talking about. Pretty good defender, maybe they'll stick Hegarty on the wing.

CULLUS.ONLINE

Juniors
Elf is a solid player. Not many Tigers fans are happy to see him leave. The only positive out of it is that Collis now gets his chance.
Elf will do souths well. Good signing.
I can tell you im angry he is going!

Latest posts