What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths vs dogs

lafai

Bench
I think we'll win. Our backs are better than yours (no Auva'a or Walker) you guys got a better halves pairing but I think our forwards will win the battle in the middle. Lichaa has said he moulds his game after Isaac Luke so I'm keen to see that match-up. Should be a cracker!

Last edited:

alien

Referee
I am hoping Madge selects 4 forwards on the interchange for this one, so we can match it or over-power the Dogs in the forwards. Our halves are good and we have the X Factor at the back, but our defense on the edges worries me with no Walker or Auva'a. We can win if we defend well out wide, and have a good completion rate.

Last edited:

alien

Referee
Spot on you need to stop Morris and Lafai. Which 4 forwards would you choose alien?

8. George Burgess
9. Luke
10. Tyrrell
11. Stewart
12. McQueen
13. Grant

14. Grevsmuhl
15. Tom Burgess
16. Brown
17. Clark (if he isn't injured)

southsport

First Grade
I think we'll win. Our backs are better than yours (no Auva'a or Walker) you guys got a better halves pairing but I think our forwards will win the battle in the middle. Lichaa has said he moulds his game after Isaac Luke so I'm keen to see that match-up. Should be a cracker!

I can't disagree with you to be honest, Souths roster is a bit thin this year.

Rabbits20

Immortal

I agree with you fully.

Souths are missing Auva'a, Walker, Sutton, Turner, Clark may be injured and Stewart could get charged by judiciary for a tackle on Watmough.

I expect a close match but I think the Dogs have too much firepower in the forwards.

Also Dogs should run at Millard as he's a turnstile.

Rabbits20

Immortal
8. George Burgess
9. Luke
10. Tyrrell
11. Stewart
12. McQueen
13. Grant

14. Grevsmuhl
15. Tom Burgess
16. Brown
17. Clark (if he isn't injured)

That would be my bench too. But Madge has always favoured Lowe for some reason.

Brown is by far a better choice over Lowe.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Do you reckon Brett Morris and Tim Lafai who were injured the other night will play?

Also do you reckon Josh Reynolds will be ready to return on Friday?

I reckon the crowd will be 60,000.

lafai

Bench
Lafai missed the game on Friday because of the birth of his newborn! Best way to miss a game. Not sure on Morris but it would be a big blow to us if he's out. I really don't want Josh Reynolds in the team just yet but apparently someone saw him at the Easter Show and said his arm was fine. Mbye in my opinion has done a fantastic job at 6.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Lafai missed the game on Friday because of the birth of his newborn! Best way to miss a game. Not sure on Morris but it would be a big blow to us if he's out. I really don't want Josh Reynolds in the team just yet but apparently someone saw him at the Easter Show and said his arm was fine. Mbye in my opinion has done a fantastic job at 6.

Cheers for that. Yeah Mbye has been going really well and the bad discipline of Josh Reynolds let's the Bulldogs down I think.

souths_pride

Juniors

I'm not so sure about that. While the game will be close no doubt, I've got to say that Souths' pack is definitely better than the Bulldogs'. While you guys undoubtedly have the more physical pack, I feel that our forwards a more talented; we've got arguably the best front rower in the world and the best ball playing back rower in our team. However, the real strength lies in the likes of Tyrell, Lowe, T.Burgess etc. who are very good squad players. Also, Chris Grevsmuhl looks like a real barn storming back rower; I would start him for sure as he looked a real handful when he came on vs. Parramatta. In saying that, I really admire the likes of Josh Jackson and James Graham. Also, Greg Eastwood is a terrific player as well. The game will definitely be decided in the forwards; if South Sydney's pack can get the upper hand they will be create enough space for us to utilise our outside backs and make the game more open - something which Canterbury don't like. In saying that, if Canterbury are able to turn the game into a war of attrition then I think they will win.

I also find it interesting that you mention the battle of the hookers. I think Issac Luke could be the key as his scurries out of dummy half could prove a real handful for those big Canterbury forwards who aren't exactly the most mobile. I've also got a massive question mark over Michael Lichaa; I think some of decision making from dummy half has been questionable to say the least. I'd go so far as to say that I think Canterbury would be a far more intimidating prospect if Michael Ennis is still in the team. The reality is that this South Sydney team has won 3 games and lost 1 this season and haven't hit anywhere near their top form. I think the game will be decide

ouwet

Bench
Do you reckon Brett Morris and Tim Lafai who were injured the other night will play?

Also do you reckon Josh Reynolds will be ready to return on Friday?

I reckon the crowd will be 60,000.

Morris and Lafai should be sweet... Let's hope Reynolds isn't ready to return, we cannot afford to give a team like South Sydney stupid penalties, you guys will make us pay!!!

Should hopefully be a cracker of a game! IF the weather is fine, should be 50,000, if it's raining, around 40,000! May the best team win!!

<LI class=item>

Last Time Against the Bulldogs

Words: Tom Skolarikis I Video: Nrl.com
Mon 30th March, 10:16AM A A http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/_jcr_content/par/newslist_95ce.rss

The South Sydney Rabbitohs were declared 2014 NRL Premiers when they defeating the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in last years’ Grand Final by 30-6 – the last time the two sides met.
After waiting 43 years to qualify for a decider, the Rabbitohs repaid the loyalty of their fans with victory by putting on a controlled performance to down the Belmore club in front of a ground-record 83,833 spectators.
Re-live all the magic of the Rabbitohs’ 21st Premiership victory by following these links:
Sam Burgess Named 2014 Clive Churchill Medallist
Rabbitohs Lap of Honour
Rabbitohs Arrive at Souths Juniors for Premiership Celebrations
Massive Crowd Celebrates Premiership Win
Rabbitohs Honoured with Parade & Keys to Randwick & City of Sydney
Rabbitohs lock, Sam Burgess, etched his name into Rugby League and South Sydney folklore when the big Englishman became the first Rabbitoh to take out the Clive Churchill Medal for being man of the match – playing through the entire 80 minutes with multiple fractures in his cheek-bone and eye-socket.
The one-on-one battle between Burgess and fellow-countryman, James Graham, was always going to be one for the ages, but few could have predicted just how early in proceedings the matchup would come to a head – James Graham’s to be precise.
With Burgess taking the opening hit-up of the game, the lock-forward collided with the head of Graham – Burgess’ eye closing almost instantaneously to match a depression in the side of his face courtesy of the blow.
Fellow Rabbitohs leaders, John Sutton and Greg Inglis, praised Burgess for his courage to play on post-match, citing that the big forward helped to inspire victory.
As though the opening tackle drama wasn’t enough, Lote Tuqiri seemed to score a try against the run of play inside the first ten minutes, but the four-pointer was disallowed owing to a high tackle from Adam Reynolds earlier in the piece.
Tony Williams then made his third mistake of the match inside the first 20 minutes, gifting the Rabbitohs possession. With a penalty helping the side up-field, the red and greens opened their Grand Final points account for the first time in 43 years when Alex Johnston slid over in the far corner. Adam Reynolds’ touch-line conversion attempt was waved away, leaving the score at 4-0 with 16 minutes in the opening stanza remaining.
Greg Inglis made a massive break that saw him streak 90 metres, evading almost the whole of the Dogs’ defence, bringing the capacity crowd to its feet. From the ensuing tackle, a penalty to the Rabbitohs right in front of the sticks for hands on the ball allowed Adam Reynolds to kick his side to a converted try lead.
The red and green’s dominated possession in the first half and seemed to have the ascendency. But despite the weight of possession and a couple of opportunities, the Bulldogs’ defence held strong until half-time, the score reading 6-0 at the break.
The second half started poorly for the Dogs when Josh Reynolds knocked the ball backwards off the kick-off – putting the blue and whites under pressure. But while the Dogs recovered, by the end of their set, a charge-down saw the Rabbits with the ball on Canterbury’s 20 metre line. Two repeat sets to the Rabbitohs on the Belmore club’s line put them under immense pressure, but Canterbury would survive the early Rabbitohs onslaught.
Canterbury hit-back 10 minutes into the second half when Josh Reynolds put in a grubber kick to the in-goal that was picked up by Tony Williams, planting it over the stripe. Trent Hodkinson converted from close range to level it up at six apiece.
But the Rabbitohs would hit back in a very big way, when George Burgess steamed onto a pass at close range before powering his way through the Dogs defence to score directly under the posts. Adam Reynolds converted from right in front to make it 12-6 in the Rabbitohs’ favour.
A penalty to Souths on the Bulldogs’ 40 metre line gave Reynolds another opportunity to post points, but the halfback’s radar was off. But Reynolds would get another opportunity less than a minute later from 44 metres out on a slight angle – the Souths Junior making no mistake to make it 14-6.
With twelve minutes on the clock remaining, Rabbitohs prop Dave Tyrrell was stretchered from the field after a head clash with James Graham – the injury halting proceedings for five minutes.
With the clock reading just over six minutes remaining, a Greg Inglis kick into the in-goal found Kirisome Auva’a, who planted the ball inside the dead-ball line to all but seal the Grand Final. Reynolds added the extras from the side-line to make it 20-6.
Reynolds bagged a four-pointer of his own inside the final two minutes after a kick hit the upright. Reynolds converted to make it 30-6, before Inglis added his own long-range try in the dying minutes to round out the match and the Premiership amid scenes of euphoria from Rabbitohs Members and supporters everywhere.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2015/03/30/last_time_against_th.html

alien

Referee
i prefer souths forward pack with sutton and turner in the 17, but without them i think its about even. dogs have a good bench. i think souths need 4 forwards (not a backup dummy half) on the bench against the dogs

Rabbits20

Immortal
Morris and Lafai should be sweet... Let's hope Reynolds isn't ready to return, we cannot afford to give a team like South Sydney stupid penalties, you guys will make us pay!!!

Should hopefully be a cracker of a game! IF the weather is fine, should be 50,000, if it's raining, around 40,000! May the best team win!!

I really think the occasion deserves 60,000. Probably won't get that many though.

But realistically like you say around 50,000. Will be a great atmosphere. Let's hope controversial refing decisions don't influence the match.

Rabbits20

Immortal
i prefer souths forward pack with sutton and turner in the 17, but without them i think its about even. dogs have a good bench. i think souths need 4 forwards (not a backup dummy half) on the bench against the dogs

Yep. McInnes has been playing back row off the bench the last couple of weeks, but I reckon he's too small.

I hope Clark is going to play. I'm not sure why he didn't last week???

Brown is also an option for the interchange in place of McInnes. Definitely need a bigger body.

Latest posts