What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soward Or Carney...?

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I've seen Carney play a bit but yesterday was the first time I have seen Soward play and I've got to say that how the Raiders didnt do everything in their power to keep this guy is beyond me. He had a great game and looks to have the organising skills and the kicking game to take him to the top. We all know how much Carney has impressed but if you could pick one player out of the two who would it be Carney or Soward.

A Soward/Carney halves combination would be close to the best in a few years time IMO if we could of hanged on to both of them.

Anonymous

Juniors
*SIGH*

As much as I hate saying this, Soward impresses me more than Carney.

However, Carney is a loyal player...I'd take him any day of the week and twice on weekends.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
i must've been watching a different game...

it was a JERSEY FLEGG game after all.

Sure he kicked the winning field goal (and go-ahead one) but gee wizz he is so overhyped it's not funny.

Todd Carney is the future of the Raiders in the playmaking stakes - get behind him and don't buy into the hype around a guy who scored a motza of points. Matty Gafa scored 350pts last year and was hyped (not to the extent of Soward - honestly had he not been 'darren lockyer' for that Blues session - no way youd have heard about him before this game, heck all he did was kick a ball with what happened to be his left foot).

If you've read my other posts on Soward you know what I think of his future.

brenno

Juniors
soward looks to have the kicking skills of a great player. Some of the things he did in the flegg final were amazing. Still, i think Carney is a good player and should make his mark in 1st grade next year. Would have been nice if we kept Soward though. Suprised yawnion haven't gone after Soward with that great left boot of his.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Carney, he has already shown he can make the step up to first grade, Soward hasnt made the step to PL yet and thats a big step, NRL is an even bigger step so Carney

Raider Ultra

Bench
About to say, Carney is proven in PL, Soward is playing in Flegg. Hard to compare the two when they're not on an even footing.

Anonymous

Juniors
Soward played several times in PL this year, I witnessed it on about 4 occasions. He looks right at home let me assure you.

Kris_man

Bench
Soward's kicking game - i can only compare it to Johnny Wilkinson. to me, Carney looks like a ball-player, his strength lying mostly in his running and passing, whereas Soward is a kicker/organiser (and what a kicker!)

Mal Meninga

Bench
Carney's not a organiser to you? The guy continually talks, directs his team mates to spots where they can run off his hip etc..

Soward's a good player, and in a perfect world i'd take both in a flash, but Carney looks the better. Defensively, Carney looks alot better, which no-one has seemed to touch on, the guy took it to the Grand final medalist in his debut. Soward has the wood on Carney in kicking(general play and conversions), but just look at them both, and physically atleast Carney looks ready for full-time First grade.

SOULS 04

Juniors
i cant say too much id have to see more of both of them

i'm gonna try to get to more games next year so i can watch PL. i had a shocker this year but hopefully carney will be in first grade

soward looked good and seems to have a top kiocking game but it takes more than one game and thats all ive seen of him

i really like the look of carney from what ive seen

raiders_boy

Juniors
Kris_man said:
Carney's not a organiser to you?
no-one suggested that Carney's not an organiser.

Thats completely untrue there kris man...

Now had u said "no one SAID that Carney's not an organiser," then that may have been correct, but when comparing two players and saying one is a good organiser, it is safe to assume that u were indeed SUGGESTING Carney was not a good organiser...

Kris_man

Bench
yeh i mean sowards a heaps better player

all wilko can do is kick
well said :lol:

and raiders_boy: you're confusing qualtitatve analysis with quantitative analysis. i was suggesting that Soward may be a better organiser than Carney. This is a qualititative analysis, comparing two players. you are claiming that i made a quantitative analysis and that i suggested that Carney is not a good organiser, which is completely false. Carney may be an inferior organiser to Soward, yet still be a top organiser, and that's exactly what i was implying. and please note also that i was using the word "organiser" to basically mean "leader". when i saw Carney play, he was doing about 10% of the kicking, and that is not what i call "organising". when i say a player is an organising halfback, i mean that he leads the team around - does most of the passing, most of the kicking and gets involved in most plays. carney seemed to do the first and third of these, but not the second. soward did all of them.