What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soward Or Carney...?

LeagueisNo1

Juniors
Todd Carney is a great player. He's only 18 and if Mark McLinden does not improve in the next couple of years Carney will more than take over the halfback spot, he will make it his own.

Magpie Nick

Juniors
If you guys had kept Soward, you could be looking at something like this:

6. Soward
7. Carney
13. Campese

In the Flegg Grand Final, Soward didn't do a lot of the work, Peter Taylor was doing a lot more, maybe because Soward got a heavy knock to the head, but when Soward did inject himself, it was at the right time and always produced something.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Magpie Nick said:
If you guys had kept Soward, you could be looking at something like this:

6. Soward
7. Carney
13. Campese

geez, forget the rest of the team, that alone would score us a premiership IMO

thickos

First Grade
It'd have been a nice set of halves but lets face it, you can't keep everyone you want to in today's open market. Especially with the young kids coming through, I'd guess 50% of them move on looking for an opportunity. Nick Kouparitsas is a prime example.

Raider_69

Post Whore
thickos said:
It'd have been a nice set of halves but lets face it, you can't keep everyone you want to in today's open market. Especially with the young kids coming through, I'd guess 50% of them move on looking for an opportunity. Nick Kouparitsas is a prime example.

good point

Raider Azz

Bench
Well said thickos. There's no point wallowing over "what might have been". The fact is we do, and always will produce great juniors and the fact is there is no way we will ever be able to keep them all.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
But it is up to the coaching staff to keep the gifted ones and it just astounds me how we offer people like Booga and Tyran Smith contracts and then let go of players like Kouparitsas and Soward.

I dont know bout you guys but I would have Koupa ahead of Smith in my team.

SOULS 04

Juniors
if carney and zillman are that good do you really think we have a hope in hell of keeping them both in the next few years or so

both half backs arent they?

could they work a half 5/8 combo?

if so which way?

sorry for being neive but i havent seen zillman

Raider_69

Post Whore
Zillman is a quicker type player, he could find himself somewhere in the backline depending but if thew half combo was carney- zillman i would have zillman playing 5/8th and carney half

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Didn't Carney play 5/8th in the SG-Ball team?
My brother keeps telling me he is a natural 5/8th and that where we should be playing him.

Anonymous

Juniors
Chief_Chujo said:
Didn't Carney play 5/8th in the SG-Ball team?
My brother keeps telling me he is a natural 5/8th and that where we should be playing him.

That was my understanding aswell. But he's a gun in the 7 aswell so who cares really!

SOULS 04

Juniors
ahh sounds good good

hopefully they can be the next great halves combo

weve needed one for a while now

Sully

Juniors
Carney is a great player for the future.

Think back to when we played the Dogs at Gosford.

We had a chance of winning the game when Carney but a grubber in behind the defence. yes it just went dead in goal but at least he had a go.

He is a talented footballer who can read the game.

I look forward to seeing him get a run next season if Macca does not set up.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Sully said:
Carney is a great player for the future.

Think back to when we played the Dogs at Gosford.

We had a chance of winning the game when Carney but a grubber in behind the defence. yes it just went dead in goal but at least he had a go.

dint go dead in goal, from menmmory it El mazri got to it jusyt in time, about 1 metre more to the left and it was try time, but i thouyght it was the wrtong option anyways, we had the numbers through the hands, but i forgave him cayse he had a go :clap:

SOULS 04

Juniors
hopefully in not too long that'll be the next stuaryt-daley combination allthough thats asking alot