What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

soward

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
forgive me all you fellow sowie fans but ffs this guy needs to take a trip to the hardware store and buy some cement and u know what.
this guy for all his talents needs to steer this ship big time.
how do we have 40 tackles in the opposition 20 on not post any points?
run the ball to the line ffs and put the defence in 2 minds, site a gap and be greedy and go for it, chip over the top and regather set up the outside backs, grubber the f#$&ing ball once in a while and get repeat sets, im sick of high kicks every 6th tackle. cmon sowie u have it in ya.
on a positive, luv your defence u must have bought at least half a bag from bunnings.
thats my rant, i have spent 5 days in hospital on morphine so forgive me.
still luv me dragons, watch out newcastle sowie will read this and smash u up.
PS ditto ben hornby. :crazy:
What disappoints me the most with him is he has pace to burn and if he would just run some angles im sure at times he would leave the opposition for dead...maybe he feels that its his job alone to hang back and wait to kick....thats where imo he would flourish along side a half back with a good kicking game as well......anyway mate get well and I hope they didnt have to increase your morphine dosage whilst you were watching the Sharks game.........

God-King Dean

Immortal
I wouldn't listen to the media.

One week. It's Campese, next it's Maloney, next it's Carney. If Soward plays well against Knights, then it will be him.

Devout Saint

Juniors
forgive me all you fellow sowie fans but ffs this guy needs to take a trip to the hardware store and buy some cement and u know what.
this guy for all his talents needs to steer this ship big time.
how do we have 40 tackles in the opposition 20 on not post any points?
run the ball to the line ffs and put the defence in 2 minds, site a gap and be greedy and go for it, chip over the top and regather set up the outside backs, grubber the f#$&ing ball once in a while and get repeat sets, im sick of high kicks every 6th tackle. cmon sowie u have it in ya.
on a positive, luv your defence u must have bought at least half a bag from bunnings.
thats my rant, i have spent 5 days in hospital on morphine so forgive me.
still luv me dragons, watch out newcastle sowie will read this and smash u up.
PS ditto ben hornby. :crazy:
Jamie Soward is a coward tra la la la la lar lar lar.

Devout Saint

Juniors
i will point out four things that have contributed to Sowards form:
1. he is playing mainly on the left side now, when he prefers the right..
2. playing on the left next to Ben Creagh who is our best ball runner in the forwards he now is doubting whether to run himself or pass... Hornby should play on the left as he is not a ball runner and his passing game suited Creaghs ball running style more..
3. there is no Bennett factor anymore to get Sowards head right mentally before a match.. this has always been sowards demise..
4. i think Soward doesnt get on with Price.. this was evident several times last season when Price was running the water bottle and had several heated discussions with soward throughout the year under the goalposts... surely the rest of you saw this?
this is exactly what would shatter Sowards confidence...
Keep making excuses for the little coward. He never really did much besides kick the ball when Bennett was here anyway, he was just playing in a consistent winning team and the media picked him for origin, he did have his best game ever for Saints against Parra just before origin. Please tell me what Soward does on the field that makes you like him, besides his long kicking game.

Devout Saint

Juniors
Soward has been awesome until the Sharks game. He has totally played himself out of the NSW No.6 jumper with that performance up against the guy that is gunning for his jersey.

Hopefully he did it on purpose so he does not play for NSW this year. I would be happy with that. We need him more than they do.
What does he do on the field besides his long kicking game that you think warrants him being picked for origin?

Devout Saint

Juniors
No if Soward played next to a good half with a good kicking game Soward would be obsolete, just as he was in the first origin last year when Pearce was kicking, Soward did absolutly nothing. The reason he just stands behind play and kicks the ball is because he is scared, I know girls tougher than him.

Bring back choc

Juniors
Keep making excuses for the little coward. He never really did much besides kick the ball when Bennett was here anyway, he was just playing in a consistent winning team and the media picked him for origin, he did have his best game ever for Saints against Parra just before origin. Please tell me what Soward does on the field that makes you like him, besides his long kicking game.

Listen, if you are going to have a crack at a player like that you need to have a clue pal. I get stuck in to Matt prior but he's lack of potency and impact is there for all to see. Jamie soward is crucial to what we do. Manly would have beaten us at kogarah if he it wasn't for sowards control and very very smart kicking game. You obviously have no clue at the importance of a kicking game. Sure he doesnt run the ball as much as he should. But that's not the way the dragons play. We've seen him run and we know he can do it.

Idiot.

Father Ted

First Grade
Soward still has chance: Daley

SAM HALL
17 Apr, 2012 04:00 AM
St George Illawarra's Jamie Soward has one finger clinging to the NSW Blues No 6 jersey.
Beaten to the Country Origin pivot spot by Cronulla's Todd Carney, Country coach and Blues assistant Laurie Daley has challenged the State of Origin incumbent to show his stuff in upcoming club games against the Sydney Roosters and North Queensland.
Soward's slim hopes will now come down to direct showdowns against former Blues No 6 and Roosters veteran Braith Anasta and star Cowboys playmaker Jonathan Thurston, with Daley rejecting claims the Dragon's Origin hopes were already dashed.
"Not at this stage, no," he said.
"To be honest, I don't think anyone has [been forgotten]."
The Country axing leaves Soward with the challenge of putting together two big games before Blues selectors name their side on May 13 for Origin I.
Outplaying either playmaker could yet catapult the 27-year-old into the lead for the Blues five-eighth role, according to Daley.
"You're leading by five metres, I suppose, by being in the [City-Country] game, but you still have to put your best foot forward," he said. "I think that Rick's [Stuart, coach] probably got about six players he definitely knows he's going to pick and I reckon 11 [are still up for grabs]."
Carney will partner Newcastle Knights halfback Jarrod Mullen in the Country halves, while Parramatta's Jarryd Hayne has been elevated to five-eighth alongside Mitchell Pearce for City - squeezing Soward out of the equation.
Daley said selectors steered clear of the Blues incumbent for Country because his early season form was not up to scratch.
"We spoke about Jamie and we just felt that he hadn't been playing as well as he was playing last year and Todd's been going pretty good," he said. "We also spoke about [James] Maloney and we spoke about [Terry] Campese, but at the end of the day we felt that [Carney and Mullen] was the right way to go.
"We had a meeting on Wednesday and we discussed all the options and at the end of the day, when I discussed with Ricky which way we wanted to go, he was okay with that and we made that decision."
Soward's representative demise stands to be Carney's gain, with Daley admitting the 2010 Dally M winner was in a "prime position" to stake his claim for the Blues against City on Sunday.
Daley said: ‘‘For me, that’s what this game is all about, for [Carney] to play well and increase his chances,’’ Daley said.
‘‘He probably knows he’s made mistakes in the past but I think he’s shown us what he’s capable of doing and it’s great to see that he was given an opportunity by the Sharks.
‘‘He has played really well for them and they’ve won five in a row - things are quite exciting out there. It’s a good story but he knows he can play a lot better and he knows he can continue to work hard on his game.
‘‘I’m glad to see him back here, I want to see him play well and eventually play for NSW.
‘‘Todd’s in a great position and I think you’ve just got to move forward - you can’t afford to look back.’’
Soward said he wouldn’t lose any sleep over his Country omission, vowing to press hard for his Origin bid through solid club performances.
‘‘That’s not the end of my chances, Ricky might be looking to give the other guys a chance to see how they go in that arena,’’ he said.‘‘I’d like to think that as the NSW incumbent, I’d be a chance [for NSW]. Whether that happens or not, I’ll wait and see. Ricky knows how I play in that arena, it’s not like I’m auditioning for the first time. He understands the kind of bloke I am and how I perform in those circumstances.’’

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/soward-still-has-chance-daley/2523500.aspx?storypage=0

Devout Saint

Juniors
Listen, if you are going to have a crack at a player like that you need to have a clue pal. I get stuck in to Matt prior but he's lack of potency and impact is there for all to see. Jamie soward is crucial to what we do. Manly would have beaten us at kogarah if he it wasn't for sowards control and very very smart kicking game. You obviously have no clue at the importance of a kicking game. Sure he doesnt run the ball as much as he should. But that's not the way the dragons play. We've seen him run and we know he can do it.

Idiot.
The reason we have been playing that boring predictable style of play is because we have shit halves, everything comes from your halves, put Cherry and Foran ion Saints halves and our style of play would be much better. You are the idiot. What are you happy with our style of play, just look how few tries we have scored latley. So would pick Coward just for his kicking game?

evil_p091280

Juniors
The reason we have been playing that boring predictable style of play is because we have shit halves, everything comes from your halves, put Cherry and Foran ion Saints halves and our style of play would be much better. You are the idiot. What are you happy with our style of play, just look how few tries we have scored latley. So would pick Coward just for his kicking game?

Add in the 3 disallowed tries (all legit tries) over the last 2 weeks and the Soward try against Manly on half time that was called back for a 'knock-on' that wasnt, and their attack isnt looking that bad.

I know they are 'what ifs', but they indicate the team isnt going that bad in attack.

I just love how the selectors and the media are saying Soward is out of form and being outplayed by Carney/Mullen. If you look at the stats on nrl.com and the Daily Telegraph website, Soward's stats are actually pretty good. Ahead of both of those two in try assists, kicks better, and has been defending as good if not better than them as well. (Add into that a more dominant kicking game than them as well).

The only thing the other two have over him:-

- Mullen has scored more tries.
- Carney has run the ball more times.

But neither of these two's statistics punches you in the face and says, pick me!!!

Fire

First Grade
Add in the 3 disallowed tries (all legit tries) over the last 2 weeks and the Soward try against Manly on half time that was called back for a 'knock-on' that wasnt, and their attack isnt looking that bad.

I know they are 'what ifs', but they indicate the team isnt going that bad in attack.

I just love how the selectors and the media are saying Soward is out of form and being outplayed by Carney/Mullen. If you look at the stats on nrl.com and the Daily Telegraph website, Soward's stats are actually pretty good. Ahead of both of those two in try assists, kicks better, and has been defending as good if not better than them as well. (Add into that a more dominant kicking game than them as well).

The only thing the other two have over him:-

- Mullen has scored more tries.
- Carney has run the ball more times.

But neither of these two's statistics punches you in the face and says, pick me!!!

Fingerbang

Bench
Unless I am mistaken, did we not hear all the negatives about boring attack, strangling defence, over the 3 years we had Bennett as coach? Where was all this crying about poor attack then while we were winning minor premierships, and a premiership....with Soward and Hornby?

big pat

Coach

listen f**kwit, its one thing to have an opinion on what you think maybe wrong with the team, but calling soward a coward is not what i would expect, from a true saints supporter, the only coward is you, because i doubt you would have the balls, to say it to his face, supporters like you we don't need.

dragondad

First Grade
Well done, Big Pat. It's bad enough listening to other teams' supporters bagging Jamie. I'm over Devout Saint. Please head over to your lounge, DS, and stay there.

Minh

First Grade
Im just glad we have Jamie Soward in the team, from the moment we jagged him from the Roosters he always had that bit of X Factor about him. Soward is a champion.

big pat

Coach
Blues need me, says Jamie

TIM BARROW
19 Apr, 2012 04:00 AM
Exiled NSW five-eighth Jamie Soward still believes he is the man to help NSW to their first State of Origin series win since 2005.

Soward’s chances of a Blues jersey this year appear remote after he was overlooked for Country in the annual clash with City in Mudgee on Sunday.

However, the 27-year-old NSW incumbent told the Mercury he could get the job done this year and stop Queensland winning a seventh straight series.
‘‘I don’t want to float my own boat, but I like to think when the season started, everyone was saying how close we were [to winning] last year,’’ Soward said.
‘‘That’s why Queensland’s had success, they stuck with their team.
‘‘Whatever NSW decide to do, it’s out of my control and there’s plenty of candidates to play six.’’
Soward said it was important he focused on leading St George Illawarra to victories over the Roosters and Cowboys, games which precede the naming of the NSW team.
Soward said: ‘‘We need to get the next two wins to start setting up our year, especially coming into Origin.
‘‘By the looks of things we’re going to have a couple out for [the] Origin [period].’’
Country selectors opted to pick Todd Carney as their five-eighth for Sunday’s game, making him the front runner for Origin selection.
However, Country coach Laurie Daley - part of Ricky Stuart’s NSW brains trust - said on Monday Soward still remained on the radar for Origin I in Melbourne on May 23.
Canberra halfback Josh McCrone was brought into the Country squad after Danny Buderus, the favourite to be picked as NSW hooker, and then Dragons’ dummy-half Mitch Rein were ruled out through injury.
Soward said he wasn’t insulted at being snubbed for the Country interchange utility role.
‘‘Josh is a great player, I’ve watched him for the last couple of years,’’ Soward said.
‘‘He’s probably going to jump on and play hooker there, it’s honestly not a drama.
‘‘If I miss out, I miss out, I enjoyed having a couple of days away [from football].’’ While adamant he can still find the form which made him NSW’s first choice last year, he conceded Newcastle playmaker Jarrod Mullen’s and Carney’s form had been superior to his own after the first seven rounds of the NRL season.

‘‘[They] have probably been playing a little bit better at the moment,’’ he said.
‘‘If I don’t make it, I don’t make it, I’ll just move on.’’
The goalkicking ace also admitted adjusting to new St George Illawarra coach Steve Price’s game plans has had an impact on his form, with Brett Morris moving from wing to fullback and Soward changing sides in defence for the Dragons.
‘‘We’re all still adjusting,’’ he said.
‘‘Brett’s still fairly new at the fullback position, I’m still adjusting to life on the left side [in defence].
‘‘We scored some good tries to get back [in front in the 12-4 win over Newcastle], especially after being 4-0 down.
‘‘So now we’re getting ready for Anzac Day.’’

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-league/blues-need-me-says-jamie/2526797.aspx

Last edited by a moderator: