What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sparkles in court

carcharias

Immortal
I have a "friend" who used to live with him...just flatmates! just flatmates!

And my " friend" says he was always a complete gentleman toward her and she assumes this chick is some nutjob.

and that's all I've got...not much really when you think about it.

gavin_miller

Juniors
King of the Hill said:
FMFF
He went to Souths, so what?
I dont know about that Gavin Miller thing
The Mal Meninga thing was a joke, Mal was just as involved in it as McGaw was yet somehow Mal came out of it looking like the victim. If Mal hadnt started the whole fight then McGaw wouldnt have needed to retaliate
As for the assault allegations, he got involved with some psychotic woman who wanted to smear him. Cant blame a man for that. Most women are nuts and he just wanted her out of his car.

He's a good man.

oh, I know...I'm just saying its a shame to see a bloke I consider a legend get get so much alleged grief... Was Sparkles kicked out of the Sharks like we have a habit or did he get a better offer from Souths?

sharkadelic

Juniors
Sparkles was a champion. Indifferent personal and team form saw him find new lows at Penrith followed by Souths. I always hoped he would come back. However in Penrith colours, he hit I think it was Paul Clark or Paul Dunn with the biggest shoulder charge I have ever seen. Nobby or Dunny flew 3 meters over the sideline. FLEW. Bow Down Sonny Bill. The Hammer was the man....

gavin_miller said:
oh, I know...I'm just saying its a shame to see a bloke I consider a legend get get so much alleged grief... Was Sparkles kicked out of the Sharks like we have a habit or did he get a better offer from Souths?

As far as I'm aware it came down to dollars, the club could keep ET or McGaw but not both, they chose ET.

Yep, money, those were sad days for the Sharks. In 1993, we had to let Sparkles go to Penrith, where he was never a happy chappy, and we let Speechley go to Parramatta for a "top up the Superannuation" year.

gavin_miller

Juniors
tom of poland said:
Yep, money, those were sad days for the Sharks. we let Speechley go to Parramatta for a "top up the Superannuation" year.
I should know this as I am of a good enough age but how long did Speechley last at the eels?like two years or so? I cannot recall a better defender.the guy was a freak!

Henson

Juniors
yeah nobby clarke was a pussy compared to our sparkles!!knock him out anyday,he works for mcguigans,i'll give it to him when i see him.

Sparkles has done alot of good around the shire,and should damn well be remembered for that,stuff that woman,she's unstable.

coolumsharkie

Referee
gavin_miller said:
I should know this as I am of a good enough age but how long did Speechley last at the eels?like two years or so? I cannot recall a better defender.the guy was a freak!

too right gm...

I remember a tackle he did on (cant remember his name, bulldogs fullback for a couple of seasons) he would have made a great NFL defender.... cut this guys legs off before he got going, SACKED!!... The whole crowd went "ooooooh" before raptious appluase. Great view from beer hill.

Take note you pea heart celebrety backline!!

shaggs

Coach
vulcan is actually a really nice bloke. trained with weights and boxed with him for a while. always helpful in the gym when someone needed guidance with something.

Meninga returns to centre stage

• By Natasha Wallace
    November 22, 2005
It is a case which has rolled out the big guns in business, sport and law, while airing the kind of dirty laundry normally reserved for a Jerry Springer episode. Or a current affairs program.

Yesterday the former rugby league player Mal Meninga flew up from Canberra for a testimonial. Already, in a week of hearings, the NSW Supreme Court had heard from the rugby league boss Steve Rogers, the broadcaster Alan Jones, and the former NSW Liberal Party leader Kerry Chikarovski.

In one corner is the rugby league international Mark McGaw, 41, who is seeking compensation after being defamed by Today Tonight, which alleged that he repeatedly bashed a woman, his former Bellevue Hill flatmate and business manager, Louise Boucheron.

In the other, is Tom Hughes, QC, the former federal attorney-general, who is leading the fight for the Seven Network against a potential multi-million-dollar payout.

A jury has found Mr McGaw was defamed, and Mr Hughes must establish the defence that the allegations are true.

Yesterday Ms Boucheron, who has changed her surname to Reed, told the court that during an argument in Mr McGaw's Mercedes she began to "panic" when he drove up an "isolated street" alongside Queens Park.

"I said, 'Mark, pull over the car, I want to get out, pull over the car, or I'm going to jump out'. I was getting afraid," she said.

In June 2003 he pleaded guilty to assaulting her - dragging her out of the car - and was put on a 12-month good behaviour bond, but maintains he did not hit her.

Their versions of events, and the kind of relationship they shared, differ markedly.

Ms Boucheron told the court that after the car incident she "fell" onto the footpath and Mr McGaw "held me down and hit me and hit me". On another occasion during an argument, she said, that he "picked me up off the ground and threw me on the footpath and started hitting and kicking me".

She also said the pair had an "open", sexual relationship, which he denies. They went to out-of-town weddings together and stayed in a motel at Terrigal and again for the Melbourne Cup, she said.

Mr Meninga told the court that Mr McGaw was respected both on and off the field and he was surprised by the allegations in the TV interview, for which Ms Boucheron was allegedly paid $10,000.

"I couldn't fathom whether he would do these sorts of things … I just shrugged my shoulders and said perhaps it's right," Mr Meninga said.

"Mark was a fierce competitor, very intense on the football field but certainly a great player. Off the field he was a fantastic bloke."

The hearing continues.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/meninga-returns-to-centre-stage/2005/11/21/1132421603603.html

Latest posts