What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*Special Match* Pink Floyd vs The Sex Pistols

Who is better?

• Pink Floyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Sex Pistols

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Anonymous

Juniors
First note: this isn't a part of the mighty duel going on at the moment, but I know its a hotly disputed debate so after a request, here's a special little battle.

In the blue corner, the operatic, self indulgent kings of Prog Rock, its....
Pink Floyd

p15758a50k1.jpg

Genre: Prog Rock
First release: 1967 (The Piper at the Gates of Dawn)

Key CD:
e90917w9hct.jpg

Dark Side of the Moon

Key Songs:
- Money
- Another Brick in the Wall part. 2
- Comfortably Numb

And in the red corner, the abbrasive, trash talking pioneers of punk rock, its...
The Sex Pistols

p16812y8foh.jpg

Genre: Punk Rock
First Release: 1977 (Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols)

Key CD:
g40130e1tkg.jpg

Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols

Key Songs:
- Anarchy in the UK
- God Save the Queen
- Pretty Vacant

May the best band win.

c_eagle

Juniors
The creators of 2 of my favourite songs (Comfortably numb and Pretty Vacant) come head to head. I dare not choose.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Pink Floyd by about 15.75 million light years, Pink Floyd one of the all time most talented bands.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Floyd, simply because I've got a soft soft for unashamedly indulgent music and "Wish you Were here" is an all time fave album. Don't mind the Pistols either though.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Two very good bands here, this is a tough one for me

The longevity and legendary status of Pink Floyd, gets my vote

Rexxy

Coach
Having a week off from the Bluebags but still needing practice for the semi finals of the Forum 7s, Rex runs onto the field for The Pistols.

Title : The Year My Punk Broke

I remember the Summers of the late 70s. There wasn't much else in a young man's life but footy and music and finding out more about the opposite sex.

The bands around included acts as predictable and stage managed as the WWF.

Sherbet, Ol 55, Dragon, JPY, Marcia Hynes. Even Skyhooks were just a bunch of glam androtops.

Then on Countdown, which had an interest in manufacturing such safe and sterile pap, Molly came on one night and looked as if he'd just been ask to cut his left ball off.

He played 14 seconds of snarling, angry, loud grainy black and white footage of Johnny Rotten. Then he made a pronouncement as monumental as Churchill's We Are At War speech.

Something called Punk had arrived and it made Molly sad :cry:

Anarchy In the UK, the first single is easily one of THE best songs ever written. If mothers remember babies first words, the Pistols snarled their arrival. "I am an Anti-Christ, I am an Anarchist". May seem pale today but that one line said everything a disillusioned nuclear threatened generation felt about church and state, men and women, love and war.

Cut to :- 25,000 kms away and a show for the Queens Jubilee. Lots of horses and coaches and old people cooing "Isn't she loverly" and "God Save Your Majesty". Well, there were lots of people who didn’t think the old tax bludger and her hundreds of freeloading cronies were worth saving. The Pistols second single opened with "God Save The Queen, the fascist regime". If words were bombs, this line blew the palace apart and Steve Jone's sledge hammer riff was a flame thrower turned on the injured.

Pretty Vacant the third single was arguably the best. Great jangly guitar pop opening, snarling vocal, lyrics about disorientation and a life on the scrap heap. It was no longer enough to get stoned listening to bands such as Tangerine Dream, ELP, Gong and Marillion, it was time to take up arms and revolt.

Then came Holidays In The Sun, a little ditty about East West friction, and two ideologies separated by not just a metaphorical wall, but a physical one.

Everything else, the album, the US tour, the live appearance of Thames TV, Sid and Nancy, were just side shows to the main event. The media not the message. The porridge, not the sheep's eye floating in the middle of it.

The band for me musically is those four three minute blasts of icy fresh, clean, angry pop.

As for their legacy. The Pistols started a whole new world of do it yourself, stripped down, guitar fuelled bands, that went from garage to stage in a few short rehearsals.

In Sydney the coming of punk was the only reason most of our "heritage" pub rock got a start. The Angles went from an Adelaide jug band to a tight, loud three cord attack almost overnight.

Bands like Midnight Oil, Radio Birdman, The Saints, Sunnyboys, Sekret Sekret (Cruel Sea), Nick Cave, The Rifles, Hunters and Collectors, Hoodoo Gurus, INXS would all have had a different career if it wasn’t for the Sex Pistols.

In the City there were venues for live music everywhere. The Stagedoor tavern, The Civic Hotel, Manzil Room, Piccadilly Hotel, New York tavern, Sydney Cove, Strawberry Hills, etc etc all had lots of live music, that you could see ANY night of the week. Around St george there was the Bexley Hotel, Forrest Inn, Bexley Hotel, Seabreeze, Millers at Brighton, Caringbah Inn, Cronulla Tradies, St george leagues, Cronulla Leagues, all with pumping sweaty loud fast guitar driven bands.

Punk created the quintessential Australian pub rock sound. Its on your radio and at places like the Big Day Out today. Its who were are and where we are from. And if Oz Rock was created by punk, then punk was created by the Pistols.

http://www.innercitysound.com.au/KillerSounds.html

word count : 610 words.[/b]

Sex Pistols easy, ill dispute that the pistols were the pioneers of punk as they were nothing more then the band that made punk famous worldwide and were bought together in a spice girls fashion, yet the pistols songs will live on where as punk floyd are nothing more than a headache that never goes away.

millersnose

Post Whore
Rex said:
Having a week off from the Bluebags but still needing practice for the semi finals of the Forum 7s, Rex runs onto the field for The Pistols.

Title : The Year My Punk Broke

I remember the Summers of the late 70s. There wasn't much else in a young man's life but footy and music and finding out more about the opposite sex.

or off course fashion whores like johnny rotten and dreaming of the day mum would allow you to get a mohawk

The bands around included acts as predictable and stage managed as the WWF.

Sherbet, Ol 55, Dragon, JPY, Marcia Hynes. Even Skyhooks were just a bunch of glam androtops.

Then on Countdown, which had an interest in manufacturing such safe and sterile pap, Molly came on one night and looked as if he'd just been ask to cut his left ball off.

perhaps he heard the "music" produced by the sex media whores

He played 14 seconds of snarling, angry, loud grainy black and white footage of Johnny Rotten. Then he made a pronouncement as monumental as Churchill's We Are At War speech.

Something called Punk had arrived and it made Molly sad :cry:

something called dreadful out of tune music perhaps gave him a headache

Anarchy In the UK, the first single is easily one of THE best songs ever written.

except of course if you compare its sales to some of the best songs ever written

If mothers remember babies first words, the Pistols snarled their arrival. "I am an Anti-Christ, I am an Anarchist".

wow

gee wiz

May seem pale today but that one line said everything a disillusioned nuclear threatened generation felt about church and state, men and women, love and war.

no

it was poorly written trash manufactured to capitalise on shock and a pathetic grab at the low end of the market

the tone death fashion junkies

Cut to :- 25,000 kms away and a show for the Queens Jubilee. Lots of horses and coaches and old people cooing "Isn't she loverly" and "God Save Your Majesty". Well, there were lots of people who didn’t think the old tax bludger and her hundreds of freeloading cronies were worth saving. The Pistols second single opened with "God Save The Queen, the fascist regime". If words were bombs, this line blew the palace apart and Steve Jone's sledge hammer riff was a flame thrower turned on the injured.

if good music was a bomb the pistols wouldnt be able to blow a decent fart

Pretty Vacant the third single was arguably the best. Great jangly guitar pop opening, snarling vocal, lyrics about disorientation and a life on the scrap heap. It was no longer enough to get stoned listening to bands such as Tangerine Dream, ELP, Gong and Marillion, it was time to take up arms and revolt.

most people cant tell the difference

one pistols song is exactly the same as another

after 90 seconds you have seen their entire scope

Then came Holidays In The Sun, a little ditty about East West friction, and two ideologies separated by not just a metaphorical wall, but a physical one.

Everything else, the album, the US tour, the live appearance of Thames TV, Sid and Nancy, were just side shows to the main event. The media not the message. The porridge, not the sheep's eye floating in the middle of it.

or the horrible noise from out of tune guitars

The band for me musically is those four three minute blasts of icy fresh, clean, angry pop.

the band for me is that awful noise nobody listens to anymore

A
s for their legacy. The Pistols started a whole new world of do it yourself, stripped down, guitar fuelled bands, that went from garage to stage in a few short rehearsals.

in other words they were amatuer crap

In Sydney the coming of punk was the only reason most of our "heritage" pub rock got a start. The Angles went from an Adelaide jug band to a tight, loud three cord attack almost overnight.

Bands like Midnight Oil, Radio Birdman, The Saints, Sunnyboys, Sekret Sekret (Cruel Sea), Nick Cave, The Rifles, Hunters and Collectors, Hoodoo Gurus, INXS would all have had a different career if it wasn’t for the Sex Pistols.

lets not let hyperbole get in the way of a good story

In the City there were venues for live music everywhere. The Stagedoor tavern, The Civic Hotel, Manzil Room, Piccadilly Hotel, New York tavern, Sydney Cove, Strawberry Hills, etc etc all had lots of live music, that you could see ANY night of the week. Around St george there was the Bexley Hotel, Forrest Inn, Bexley Hotel, Seabreeze, Millers at Brighton, Caringbah Inn, Cronulla Tradies, St george leagues, Cronulla Leagues, all with pumping sweaty loud fast guitar driven bands.

my goodness rex

the sex opistols invented rock and roll and live gigs?

Punk created the quintessential Australian pub rock sound. Its on your radio and at places like the Big Day Out today. Its who were are and where we are from. And if Oz Rock was created by punk, then punk was created by the Pistols.

punk alas is long dead as are the record sales for the sex pistols

Anonymous

Juniors
I'm sorry millers, at no point did you say why Pink Floyd are better than the Sex Pistols. Its easy to tear a band down, why don't you instead say why you think PF deserve to win this title?

millersnose

Post Whore
sorry cap'n

1. versatility - every sexpistols song sounds like every other sex pistols songs

2. longevity - pink floyd first charted in 1966 and their members are still a major box office concern - who from the sex pistols has sold out earls court recently?

3. they could actual play their instruments - even pink floyds detractors are not going to touch this one

4. record sales

5. concert sales

7. respect from peers - eg. paul mc cartney begs david gilmour to play on his stuff

8. humility - when the sex pistols started they advertised their presence with what they hated and bagged pink floyd as dinasours -the press joined in panning pink floyd as has beens - pink floyd then released the wall which topped album and single charts in the US and UK and didnt need fashion or media stunts to do so

Rexxy

Coach
I thought you might of enjoyed a different style of debate, Millers.

Looks like you prefer the tear down to the build.

That's fine. But anyone can pull the wings off a butterfly.

Why dont you tell us what it is about Pink Floyd you like.

millersnose

Post Whore
bagging the sex pistols is not pulling wings off a butterfly rex

(lovely imagery though)

it is just reality