What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speeding up the Game

denis preston

First Grade
It appears that the drums are beating to speed the game up to introduce more fatigue ( eg lower interchange , reduce stoppages ) , which will benefit the smaller player. With that in mind how do you think the Dragons are positioned with their current roster ?

BLM01

First Grade
It appears that the drums are beating to speed the game up to introduce more fatigue ( eg lower interchange , reduce stoppages ) , which will benefit the smaller player. With that in mind how do you think the Dragons are positioned with their current roster ?
I'll believe when I see it. They will add more time clocks, tea breaks, conversations to balance out the reduced interchange and any other stoppages they come up with.
Heaven forbid we cant get rid of the wrestle now and large body shaped players + reality TV suitable referree chit chat with em being mic'd up..now could we.
Back to your point. Dragons would be fine.....we dont posess too many 110Kg + bohemiths who are good for 15 minute stints

blacksafake

First Grade
Roster wise i think it'll be an advantage for us.
We have forwards who are able to play long minutes, speed & skill out wide would be a plus.

possm

Coach
I'll believe when I see it. They will add more time clocks, tea breaks, conversations to balance out the reduced interchange and any other stoppages they come up with.
Heaven forbid we cant get rid of the wrestle now and large body shaped players + reality TV suitable referree chit chat with em being mic'd up..now could we.
Back to your point. Dragons would be fine.....we dont posess too many 110Kg + bohemiths who are good for 15 minute stints

It should be that the captain may respond to a ref but not initiate a conversation or criticise at any time.

possm

Coach
If its true and the small , faster players will benefit , why are we trying to off load Dufty ?????

I think only because Dufty wants 700k a year in his extension contract. He is not quite ready for first grade right now and he must buld his frame, rectify his defensive skills and learn to take a high ball under pressure.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
As far as reduced interchange is concerned, we are in a very good position. Our props regularly churn out good minutes and our edge players almost 80 mins.
The days of the hulking prop are almost over imo and its almost a return to the good ol days.
Time waste has always been an issue but i dont want to see an NFL type scenario where the clock stops for everything just about and an hour game last tor 4. Scrums are the biggest problem and the "scrum" clock basically useless. Maybe 30 secs from when the ball goes out or an infringement would speed things up with the offending side given a differential penalty. I think goal or penalty kicks are ok with the shot clock as goal kicking is a skill which we dont want to lose due to reduced time.

hazzbeen

Bench
As far as reduced interchange is concerned, we are in a very good position. Our props regularly churn out good minutes and our edge players almost 80 mins.
The days of the hulking prop are almost over imo and its almost a return to the good ol days.
Time waste has always been an issue but i dont want to see an NFL type scenario where the clock stops for everything just about and an hour game last tor 4. Scrums are the biggest problem and the "scrum" clock basically useless. Maybe 30 secs from when the ball goes out or an infringement would speed things up with the offending side given a differential penalty. I think goal or penalty kicks are ok with the shot clock as goal kicking is a skill which we dont want to lose due to reduced time.
Really the scrums in the game are are complete joke , either do it properly or scrap it , turn it over just play the ball , that will certainly quicken up the game ....

BLM01

First Grade
It should be that the captain may respond to a ref but not initiate a conversation or criticise at any time.
It simple possm, it is called referees getting back full control of the game on field, not letting the players and outside people influence how the game goes. At the moment it's the players, coaches and outside voices that dictate what and how they officiate. Let the refs ref to the rules and how they would like and you would not need all these time & money wasting conventions, coach & CEO + games committee NRL funded, high class, wine sipping, caviar eating pow wows and meetings on how to fix the game "on field".

Last edited:

Fire

First Grade
"Speeding up the game" to "benefit smaller players" is a bit of a myth in my opinion.

Do you know how easy it is for a male professional athlete >35 years old to adapt to (what are simply small increases in endurance performance) to a work load that consists of:

~40 minutes of exertion (with rest and hydration periods)
~10 minute break
~40 minutes of exertion (with rest and hydration periods)

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Old Timer

Coach
Scrums are about structure though rather than scrumming for the ball.

I would like to see it mandatory to put forwards into the scrum as intended rather than whomever
Excellent post let's engage the forwards in the set play to allow the backs some freedom.
Easy to make it work just enforce the rules.
  • The first players that pack into a scrum will continue to pack into a scrum until such times as they are replaced in the game.
  • That rule then applies to the interchange players as well.
  • If you don't bind a penalty.
  • If the lock doesn't put his head in and hold onto the second rowers a penalty.
  • The loose and feed goes to the same side and there is no striking for the ball although a shove after the ball is put in is acceptable. (This keeps the forwards engaged and not breaking quickly)
  • If the scrum collapses then a penalty.

Belta

Juniors
I know it’s been spoken about a lot and Sorry for my ignorance, but is the interchange from 8 to 6 confirmed for 2019?

If so it can only benefit the Dragons, who have mobile and athletic forwards. We also have the Duffman at back. it also could see Field as an interchange?

I really hope that’s the direction, the game needs refining

Hawkins

Juniors
The best team to use speed will be north Queensland.

The new recruit Ben Barba is gunna hit that white line running.

He likes cocaine

BLM01

First Grade
I know it’s been spoken about a lot and Sorry for my ignorance, but is the interchange from 8 to 6 confirmed for 2019?

If so it can only benefit the Dragons, who have mobile and athletic forwards. We also have the Duffman at back. it also could see Field as an interchange?

I really hope that’s the direction, the game needs refining
No like always for some reason it takes the NRL another year to implement such a hugh dynnamic drastic change it seems. ppfffttt. If you want make a change, make it, stop procrastinating instead of spending loads of money in meetings and reviews to consult every known medical professional who likely have not played the sport to get their opinion.

Every club will cope with it, they could go to their eventual goal of 4 now and with those that will play the "what about player welfare card", I can assure NRL clubs look after their players better likely than they do their own offspring, certainly better compared to yesteryear with loads of money put into that part of club admin. It just requires changing in coaching attacking and defensive structures, game plans and HPU regimes. Not rocket science

possm

Coach
It simple possm, it is called referees getting back full control of the game on field, not letting the players and outside people influence how the game goes. At the moment it's the players, coaches and outside voices that dictate what and how they officiate. Let the refs ref to the rules and how they would like and you would not need all these time & money wasting conventions, coach & CEO + games committee NRL funded, high class, wine sipping, caviar eating pow wows and meetings on how to fix the game "on field".

Back in my days the referee used to address or call you by your jumper colour and number. Players addressed the referee calling him Sir. No arguments or discussion to be had. Players had to just listen to the ref and/or linesman and accept the decision.

I like the idea of having 10 ISP players on the bench. No sin bin no resting players to come back on later. When you come off you stay off. A yellow card and you can be replaced. A red card and no replacement.

Back chat the ref, foul play and any action that has a player put on report automatically is a Yellow Card.

Dangerous play and a punch automatically is a Red Card.

BLM01

First Grade
Back in my days the referee used to address or call you by your jumper colour and number. Players addressed the referee calling him Sir. No arguments or discussion to be had. Players had to just listen to the ref and/or linesman and accept the decision.

I like the idea of having 10 ISP players on the bench. No sin bin no resting players to come back on later. When you come off you stay off. A yellow card and you can be replaced. A red card and no replacement.

Back chat the ref, foul play and any action that has a player put on report automatically is a Yellow Card.

Dangerous play and a punch automatically is a Red Card.
Ist paragraph. I know and agree wholeheartedly. 2nd to 4th paragraph you lost me as a fan as we dont need cards and 10 on a bench. Your idea has merit about once off / stay off but for me needs more tweeking / thought as 10 may not be enough with everything that goes on you will run out players including concussions / injuries etc