What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spida to Sydney

CyberKev

Staff member
The AFL's worst kept secret became public earlier today when Peter Everitt confirmed he was leaving Hawthorn.

Sydney will almost certainly be his new club and I expect the Swans to offer a three-year contract.

I was actually among the minority who wanted this trade to be made last year, when we could have snared a first round draft pick for him. The naysayers were aghast, of course, saying that we desperately needed his skill and experience.

Unfortunately, that skill and experience hasn't been much use to us this season, with Spida being off the park injured for much of the year and showing a distinct lack of enthusiasm during the times he was on it.

I'm hoping we can draw Sydney's second round pick + a solid player (Luke Ablett or the like) in exchange. I'd also be happy to throw in another player for Sydney (i.e. Nick Ries, who I believe they have an interest in, but is very surplus to need at Hawthorn).

Under this arrangement, we could send the second round pick + Michael Osborne north to Brisbane for Mal Michael; and Ablett plus another player (possibly Harry Miller) to West Coast in exchange for Michael Gardiner.

CyberKev

Staff member
Twizzle said:
they'd be better off keeping Spida

Not really.

He'll be 33 next season and is becoming more and more injury prone.

I believe he is being paid $700k per year, and were Hawthorn to obtain Michael & Gardiner by using the trading of Spida as the stimulant then they'd probably only have to pay out $450k for those players as a pair.

I'm more than happy to move Spida on, particularly as he's made it clear that his heart lies elsewhere.

You would surely have noted the enthusiasm and vibrance of the Hawk players (particularly the younger ones) on Sunday. Spida lacks that, and it doesn't really matter how good the player may be (and he's certainly not getting any better these days) if he lacks commitment to the cause.

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
I'm more than happy to move Spida on, particularly as he's made it clear that his heart lies elsewhere.

Yet you're prepared to recruit Mal Michael? :?

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
Yet you're prepared to recruit Mal Michael? :?

Michael has stated publically that Hawthorn is the club he wants to be at.

My commitment comment on Everitt was aimed more at his lack of commitment to the club than any comment on his devotion to the game.

There are queries over Michael on whether he remains truly devoted to the game. That makes him a risk, but one worth taking given our current lack of FB depth and from a standpoint of the money we'd be saving overall from moving Spida on.

CyberKev

Staff member
Hmmm.

Looks like Collingwood are now in the race for Everitt's signature.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
CyberKev said:
Not really.

He'll be 33 next season and is becoming more and more injury prone.

I believe he is being paid $700k per year, and were Hawthorn to obtain Michael & Gardiner by using the trading of Spida as the stimulant then they'd probably only have to pay out $450k for those players as a pair.

You would surely have noted the enthusiasm and vibrance of the Hawk players (particularly the younger ones) on Sunday. Spida lacks that, and it doesn't really matter how good the player may be (and he's certainly not getting any better these days) if he lacks commitment to the cause.

he's not worth $700K, thats for sure, but age is irrelevant

surley he's worth a one year, but not at that money

he has the ablity to lift and inspire his team

CyberKev

Staff member
Twizzle said:
he's not worth $700K, thats for sure, but age is irrelevant

surley he's worth a one year, but not at that money

he has the ablity to lift and inspire his team

The point is that he was offered a one-year deal, but wouldn't accept it.

philstorm

Juniors
Great to finally see him go. He was becoming a cancer at the club and it'll now give Robbie C and Matty B and chance to develop!

lockyno1

Post Whore
Only if Mitchell stays fit the whole year and Hodge doesn't get injured. Probally 2 yrs in my opinion.

CyberKev

Staff member
Yesterday's performance by Sydney was, indirectly, great news for Hawthorn.

Jolly & Doyle were absolutely destroyed by Cox in the ruck.

Doyle, put simply, isn't up to standard and nor is Paul Chambers (who didn't play).

Jolly is fine most of the time, but I have a query over him in big matches.

Sydney's desire to snare Everitt could only have grown yesterday and I believe they would offer him a three-year contract.

With interest growing from several clubs, Hawthorn's chances of getting something reasonable for him have grown.

Everitt has been talking about another Melbourne club, but given he is unwanted by the Bulldogs, he's only serious prospects if he genuinely wants a flag next year (among the sides needing ruckmen) are to go to Sydney or Adelaide.

Alba

Coach
i had a drink wit him last night i had no fkn idea who the hell he was but goddamn he has alot of groupies.. i was like wtf who are u?! but yeh dunno about his playing abilities as i cannot stand afl but he is a nice guy .. and he also said he goes for the rabbitohs now .. lol :p

CyberKev

Staff member
Alba said:
i had a drink wit him last night i had no fkn idea who the hell he was but goddamn he has alot of groupies.. i was like wtf who are u?! but yeh dunno about his playing abilities as i cannot stand afl but he is a nice guy .. and he also said he goes for the rabbitohs now .. lol :p

Well, he always has been a bit of a 'Wally with water', if you know what I mean. :p

When he's fit and has his head in the right place he goes alright on the paddock though.

Now that he's in the opposition camp, I like to hear talk of him hanging out boozing with groupies and thinking wistful about the Rabbitohs (if they fire up in 2007 he'll probably be pushing hard to the hoop for a transfer to Redfern for 2008)... I only hope that I get to hear a lot more of this type of talk and that I get to be hearing it during the on-season, as well. :twisted:

Alba

Coach
jus for the record im no groupie .. i had no idea who he was til he told me .. :)