What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spiteri scores 7 in a day

roopy

Referee
Just thought i'd relate a story from the Newcastle Herald about Malta player Danny Spiteri.

He holds the record for number of tries scored in a season in the Newcastle comp - which has been running since 1910 - just two years after Sydney - and he was a try scoring freak in PL for the Knights for a few years. He is also one of the gun players in the Malta Knights 7s side.

Anyway, he was dropped to reserve grade for Newcastle Souths on the weekend and scored 6 tries - and backed up with the match winning try for firstgrade as well.

Misanthrope

Staff member
He was a hooker at Newcastle, but I always thought he was a little small. Somewhere in the backline would suit him.

Are you still wetting yourself over him roopy?

I thought that AVO his got out against you after the kidnap attempt would have been enough lol.

Philby

Juniors
Im pretty sure Rohan Spiteri is his brother and he is playing for Goulburn in Group 6. He is a pretty handy player to playing usually in the outside backs. I think he may have played a few games for Malta at some stage?

roopy

Referee
Danny left his run too late.
He was a very ordinary front on defender when playing PL for the Knights.
He was one of the best i've ever seen at cover defending. He could run anyone down from behind. I saw him spoil Nathan Blacklocks day on more than one occasion by basically running him down every time he made a break - but front on a halfback was a good chance to run over him.

He mostly played winger for the knights and scored some of the best trys you will ever see - but right at the end of his time they tried to turn him into a hooker - and he still scored some classics running out of dummy half.

He is a little guy who is built low to the ground who can change direction four times in four steps and seems to be at top speed in 3 metres of running.

If League had a professional 7s circuit, he would be the star of it, but he was never going to make it in firstgrade because of his size and poor in line defence.