What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

spoiler alert - forward passes

hutch

First Grade
Those frames prove the ball actually went forward by a couple of metres, but yeah, I've seen thousand balls like that let go in the past.

IMO, the whole floating forward with momentum rule is stupid, if it goes forward it goes forward. We let enough flat balls go as it is which is fine. Does anyone know how he actual rules are worded?

beave

Coach
sigh..............it's not stupid. Because morons like BM think that if you are running and pass a ball on say the 10m line and the pass has some distance to travel, and the guy who catches the ball is over the 10m line, then it has to be forward.............................. but it's not.

hellteam

First Grade
Those frames prove the ball actually went forward by a couple of metres, but yeah, I've seen thousand balls like that let go in the past.

IMO, the whole floating forward with momentum rule is stupid, if it goes forward it goes forward. We let enough flat balls go as it is which is fine. Does anyone know how he actual rules are worded?

Next time you're in a car throw something out the window backwards, and see if it lands in front of where you threw it.

You may be surprised.

Apey

Staff member
Time to get the educational video out again for BunniesMan...

We've scored 19 or more points every game so far...after this round we'll have 2nd or 3rd most point scored. It's not like we're the Dragons or Eels or Titans.

they're also going to be 1st in points conceded with 86 now thats pretty exciting. So actually souths are very much like the titans, well in defence anyway because they will be 2nd on 80 after this round :)

Nemesis

Bench
Get ovet it... you'd think this was the first time a try has been disallowed off a forward pass. Even the Eels captain admitted that it was forward in the post match press conference. Harden up ffs.

adamkungl

Immortal

It's basic physics. You have to pass the ball backwards in relation to yourself, not in relation to the field. If you're running at 8m/s, and throw a long flat ball, it is going to continue travelling forward at 8m/s, looking horribly forward when it is in fact fine. Even thrown slightly backwards it is going to travel a fair bit forward in relation to the field.

You have to look at the direction it travels from the player. Look at where the passer and receiver are standing. Ignore the line markings.

beave

Coach
the only time the lines on the field should be used in reference for forward passes is when the pass is from dummy half and the dummy half has passed from the ground straight away and not run forward at all.

Nemesis

Bench
bullsh*t, take a look at the pics/video above. Until Hayne stopped because of the hit, he was in front of the receiver the whole time.
Decisions tend to even out over the season dude..... swings and roundabouts. Although I suspect you spend most of your time on the swings.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Your bullsh*t float theory is BS because Hayne wasn't running forward ffs, he was running sideways and how the f**k do you experts to know which way it left his hands?

adamkungl

Immortal
Decisions tend to even out over the season dude..... swings and roundabouts. Although I suspect you spend most of your time on the swings.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming this for Parra losing, they were f**king incompetent in the second half. I don't like how forward passes are the only thing that can't be reviewed on the video. It makes no sense.

As for swings and roundabouts, what was your opinion on the penalty which led to the final try in the Roosters v Souths game last year?

Apey

Staff member
has anyone got the link to that vid????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMlDy2jP9s

Your bullsh*t float theory is BS because Hayne wasn't running forward ffs, he was running sideways and how the f**k do you experts to know which way it left his hands?

You don't have to be moving that fast for it to occur. As someone else said, the only time the lines are a good indication is for the dummy half passes where the player is standing still.

We get it, you're an idiot - why do you always drag the point out so much?

BunniesMan

Immortal
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming this for Parra losing, they were f**king incompetent in the second half. I don't like how forward passes are the only thing that can't be reviewed on the video. It makes no sense.

As for swings and roundabouts, what was your opinion on the penalty which led to the final try in the Roosters v Souths game last year?
And how would a video review of that changed anything? How is the video ref supposed to decide which way it went out of the hands when it's impossible to tell. The ref has a 1000 times better view than anyone sitting at home watching it on tv.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMlDy2jP9s

You don't have to be moving that fast for it to occur. As someone else said, the only time the lines are a good indication is for the dummy half passes where the player is standing still.

We get it, you're an idiot - why do you always drag the point out so much?
I'm not saying balls can't be caught further up field from where they were passed without it being an illegal pass. I'm say it didn't happen here.

Hayne wasn't running forward for one.

And everyone's calling me an idiot when it's all of you saying you know which way it went from his hands when you dont know sh*t.

Latest posts