What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spoiler: Anyone thinking......

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
tbh everyone used to put the blame squarely on Grothe, and ever since Grothe got injured we have seen that side leak points, whether it be Inu or Uaisele on the wing.... Kinda obvious that the problem must be with Reddy. Nothing a bit of hard work won't fix, but it's definitely not as simple as the winger coming in.

I also felt a little sorry for the grilling Loko was getting from the commentators when Soward and Gasnier made us look silly out there. With the break Soward made on that side to put Hornby in, I actually thought it was Mortimer who wasn't quick enough to come across and cover him. I thought Loko did the right thing and stuck to Gasnier.

Lasalo (and later Horo) was marking Soward; Mortimer was marking Beau Scott all game.

That's how it works - wingers and centres mark their opposite numbers, while the half and the back-rower swap in attack and defence. Fullbacks chime in to complicate things requiring one of the central defenders to shift across.

Actually I didn't see much of Stanley attacking our left side. He seemed to be parked on our right.

Suitman

Post Whore
tbh everyone used to put the blame squarely on Grothe, and ever since Grothe got injured we have seen that side leak points, whether it be Inu or Uaisele on the wing.... Kinda obvious that the problem must be with Reddy. Nothing a bit of hard work won't fix, but it's definitely not as simple as the winger coming in.

I also felt a little sorry for the grilling Loko was getting from the commentators when Soward and Gasnier made us look silly out there. With the break Soward made on that side to put Hornby in, I actually thought it was Mortimer who wasn't quick enough to come across and cover him. I thought Loko did the right thing and stuck to Gasnier.

You are correct.
At the moment though, Gould has a hard on for Mortimer, and even feel's sorry for him?? WTF??

Suity

Parra Guru

Coach
Lasalo (and later Horo) was marking Soward; Mortimer was marking Beau Scott all game.

That's how it works - wingers and centres mark their opposite numbers, while the half and the back-rower swap in attack and defence. Fullbacks chime in to complicate things requiring one of the central defenders to shift across.

Actually I didn't see much of Stanley attacking our left side. He seemed to be parked on our right.

Well something went wrong then because it was definitely Mortimer next to Loko. Either way, Loko copped it from Gus and Sterlo.

You are correct.
At the moment though, Gould has a hard on for Mortimer, and even feel's sorry for him?? WTF??

Suity

Matt Cooper will get jealous then... Did you hear him raving on about how Cooper has made himself unavailable for Origin and what a shame it is??

strider

Post Whore

not on the try PG is talking about - Morts rushed across covering soward and actually pushed too far then got left for shit on the ground cos soward pisses all over him

Parra Guru

Coach
Also TE... watch in the highlights... Cooper sh*t all over Reddy and tell me what else Etu could have done?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well something went wrong then because it was definitely Mortimer next to Loko.

Nothing went wrong - that's where he's supposed to defend.

You might've noticed the Dragons' attack had Scott inside Gasnier. That's who Mortimer was marking.

Either way, Loko copped it from Gus and Sterlo.

I thought Loko defended well in the second half. Especially his torpedo dives at Gasnier's legs. Good stuff.

Our worst defenders in that game were Lasalo and Burt. On the right there was obviously no communication which has been a problem all year. You'd have to say Robson, Smith and Reddy are all responsible for that.

Parra Guru

Coach
fair enough.... I was only pointing out that Loko seemed to be the easy target for the commentators to blame... I thought he did OK under the circumstances... Gasnier was in full flight today too.

Eelementary

Post Whore
My two cents:

I never played at a high level, and even then I was a prop. But our coach always told our three-quarters that they had to be communicating ALL game. Pointing, shouting, high-fiving...Whatever. They needed to be constantly communicating, so that when the time came to make good defensive reads, they were on the same page.

I don't see this happening when Joel Reddy defends at centre. I love the bloke, but as the senior player the onus should be on him to take Etu under his wing and encourage him to talk on the field. Hell, Joel himself should tell Etu, "I'm marking Cooper - you take the winger!" r whatever.

Grothe copped a lot of crap here. But when he was partnered with Benny and they talked and communicated well, it was a fairly successful side in attack and defense for us.

Parra Guru

Coach
A good point you raise Eele is the body language of the team...

I think it's been pretty sh*t all year, regardless if we are losing or not. The only time I can remember the boys looking fired up was after Shack's try last week. Other than that, there's not much going on when we force a mistake etc... That's when you want them in encouraging eachother... it sends a message to the opposition too.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
not on the try PG is talking about - Morts rushed across covering soward and actually pushed too far then got left for shit on the ground cos soward pisses all over him

No, Mortimer rushed across covering the man outside Soward - it's called slide defence, maybe you've heard of it?

When the defence slides the inside guys have to work hard to stay with them - Lasalo let Soward get so far outside him he assumed Mortimer would take him but he wasn't Mortimer's man. Mortimer was covering the back-rower.

So when Soward stepped he got inside Mortimer but outside Lasalo (who was supposed to be marking him). If Mortimer was supposed to be marking Soward, as you infer, he would have been facing him, and coming from the outside in he would have made the tackle easily. Instead Mortimer was running toward the sideline, covering Beau Scott, which is how Soward was able to straighten up behind Mortimer and run through the gap that wouldn't have been there if Lasalo had worked harder to follow his outside defender out on the slide.

Eelementary

Post Whore
A good point you raise Eele is the body language of the team...

I think it's been pretty sh*t all year, regardless if we are losing or not. The only time I can remember the boys looking fired up was after Shack's try last week. Other than that, there's not much going on when we force a mistake etc... That's when you want them in encouraging eachother... it sends a message to the opposition too.

I agree!

I noticed it during the Dogs game, too. Fui came back from his binning and looked to belt anyone standing in his way in an effort to get us fired up, but it seemed to have no effect.

Parraren

Bench
Our backrow is massively overrated. Out outside backs are not really first grade standard.

Spot on.

There's been alot of talk about our halves but really there are massive problems all over the place apart from front row and fullback.

Latest posts