What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*Spoiler* First Try Tigers vs Dragons

Mayor West

Juniors
try, same rules as a drop-kick

seemed obvious it bounced first before connecting with his foot but others seem to disagree

I don't disagree with that. But from now on if a player drops the ball and kicks it after it bounces, do the same rules apply?

JoeD

First Grade
Can someone who doesn't think it should've been a try explain how what Benji did is any different to any dropkick seen in a game?

Mong

Post Whore
Can someone who doesn't think it should've been a try explain how what Benji did is any different to any dropkick seen in a game?

He wasn't going for a field goal. If it had bounced sideways and not hit his foot it would have been a knock on, what is the difference? The hitting of his foot after hitting the ground should mean nothing, as as far as i can remember anytime a kick in general play is missed it's a knock on.

Strange ruling but these things happen

aussie7798

First Grade

So you think he was attempting to kick a drop goal in the first 3minutes with his body facing towards the opposite corner flag

Fair enough if they are going to rule that when the ball is dropped if you can kick it before it bounces a second time then its play on but i dont think anyone here want to see that can of worms opened up.

cleary89

Coach

Didnt mean to, wasnt aiming for one, missed the ball and hit his foot after. Could find 1000 examples of a player dropping the ball and kicking it away in disgust which is a knock on.

Mayor West

Juniors

If you are going to play that card can u tell me how what Benji did is different to a guy dropping the ball and it striking his leg before the second bounce is any different?

If a guy drops it cold from a pass but it hits his leg before the second bounce is that now ok? Maybe if he follows through with his leg? There is nooooooooooo way that what Benji did was an attempted drop kick and there is no way it should have been awarded the try.

He went to kick the ball, he missed. He only got a touch on it after a convenient bounce after the first bounce. Utterly ridiculous in my view.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
Try, just clipped his leg on the way down. But the video ref f*cked up calling the drop goal attempt on the 3rd minute when he's running at the line. Same outcome though. If you check the behind view it clips the outside of his calf (just) so due to recent rule interpretations where you don't need control, just to hit the boot, it's a try. Bloody lucky one though.

JoeD

First Grade
But how is what he physically did different to a dropkick? Id be interested in the wording of the rule that excludes a dropkick from being a knockon if anyone knows.

Mayor West

Juniors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NrJP7Q-aWQ

Crappy video but an Aussie player drops the ball at 52 seconds. If he drops that and it rebounds into his leg after the first bounce is that a drop kick?

In all honesty this is one of the worst video ref decisions i've seen in a few years because there is absolutely no common sense behind the decision.

Mong

Post Whore
But how is what he physically did different to a dropkick? Id be interested in the wording of the rule that excludes a dropkick from being a knockon if anyone knows.

If common sense is taken into account the difference would be intent.

Jose93

Juniors
This is an area where the NRL has created a serious problem, through the poor application of the knock on rule. We have countless knock backs, ball dropped back etc, ruled as knock ons.

It was a mis-timed kick by Marshall, but a genuine Field Goal attempt wouldn't be possible any other way. It had to be a Try.

Mayor West

Juniors
If common sense is taken into account the difference would be intent.

Exactly. They seem to be able to differentiate between a careless high tackle and a reckless high tackle due to various factors indicating intent. I'm pretty sure everyone watching the game new Benji's intent wasn't to kick a drop goal, he just missed the ball. Sucks to be him but thats a knock on. Not some special Benji ruling which suggests OH BENJI FOOLED EVERYONE WITH HIS FAKE BOMB! ridiculous.

Latest posts