What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spoiler: Kiwis vs GB

Azkatro

First Grade
I think Tony Smith is on the right track, particularly with his halves. For so long the Brits have mucked around with ordinary halves combinations but I think watching that match today that he needs to build England's World Cup team around Leon Pryce, who has really evolved into a complete player. I would compare him to Ellery Hanley in that he is starting to develop the confidence to take a game by the scruff of the neck if need be.

I just hope he can continue to show that sort of confidence and leadership in attack against quality opposition.

ucantseeme

Juniors
I was really impressed with GB's grit in defense. They tackled relentlessly for the full 80.

Their attack though is the real talking point and shows that Tony Smith is a coup for GB. The 2nd phase play by GB was awesome and continued throughout the full 80. Lots of support, bodies in motion and players looking for the offload. That is the strategy GB need to use to compete against OZ.

Again, Tony Smith has the nous to make selection changes that other GB coaches haven't such as dropping Terry Newton for Jon Clarke and the inclusion of Maurie Faa'sulvo.

As for NZ, they were never in it and can expect a similar result next week. I think the NZRL will scrap the rule about the NZ coach living in NZ for 2008. I reckon OZ, NZ & GB will all have Aussie coaches for the RLWC.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Why would we want an aussie coach? We have plenty of good coaches available to us. The only time we tried an aussie coach was Daniel Anderson and he didn't set the world on fire.

D

Deleted member 10972

Based on what i have seen so far:

8. Burgess
9. Clarke
10. Morley
11. Peacock
12. Ellis
13. Sinfield

14. Roby
15. Gilmour/Wilkin
16. Fa'asavalu
17. Graham

Would be the strongest pack GB can offer. Get rid of O'Loughlin. I rate Moz & Jamie highly, but one of them in the backrow would be better, with Burgess starting at prop. You could even go another step, & have both Moz & Peacock in the backrow, Ellis on the bench & drop Wilkin/Gilmour, bring in Andy Lynch at prop?

Danny Mcguire & Rob Burrow should be the halves.

Backline im not sure about, Pryce (wing or centre), Raynor (wing) & Wellens (fullback) are the only definites. Still not sold on Gardner, Senior or Gleeson. Yeaman & Atkins will stake claims too.

Iafeta

Referee
Sam_the_man said:
Why would we want an aussie coach? We have plenty of good coaches available to us. The only time we tried an aussie coach was Daniel Anderson and he didn't set the world on fire.

He did have some good moments. He defeated Australia in end of year test, and drew a test series with Great Britain... I think Gary Kemble would give anything to have those listed on his resume.

blacksockguy

Juniors
Wow - Awesome Great Britain - Best I'v ever seen them - Played liked a Team and deserve all the credit they get. They will have to lift to beat the Aussies in the world cup but after a Series like that Im sure the belief has been instilled. Watch out Australia because that belief is a dangerous thing. The Kiwis looked liked they were a School Team - Rugby League is pretty Basic really - And when you do the basics right; things will flow. Kiwis lacked Direction, Motivation, Passion and Desire. Pretty Sad really. But what can we expect? Realistically speaking it is hard for NZ to compete against such big nations - We may be the biggest country in the South Pacific but we are still very small compared to the rest of the world. Dont moan so and so wasnt fit, or released or had to have surgery or whatever - Rugby League is a Team game. Play like a Team and support each other and we will do well. We certainly havent looked like doing that for sometime. I wonder if Stacey Jones would be interested in providing some guidance from a Coaching perspective...
We as a nation have a belief we are consistent over achievers when we arent. We have our moments and we will cherish them forever but we cannot seriously expect to win ALL the time... Well done Great Britain - You will be Australia's Biggest challenge at the world cup if the Kiwis dont get their sh*t together in time - Im not convinced Kemble is being succesful at knitting his players together as a team. Anybody can win the world cup if they play as a team.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
The Mack said:
Danny Mcguire & Rob Burrow should be the halves.

Backline im not sure about, Pryce (wing or centre), Raynor (wing) & Wellens (fullback) are the only definites. Still not sold on Gardner, Senior or Gleeson. Yeaman & Atkins will stake claims too.

You cannot be serious!

Leon Pryce is the best stand off GB have had in years and it is his natural position. Why play him elsewhere? He wouldn't be as good as Gardner on the wing and he CANNOT play fullback. Centre is an option he could probably do well in, but as he's not playing there for club, why make him for country. Danny McGuire is a finisher, a guy who takes the last pass in a move. He is not going to create anything through either his passing or kicking game.

6.Pryce and 7. Burrow should be set in stone now.

1. Wellens
2. Raynor
3. Gleeson
4. TBC
5. Gardner
6. Pryce
7. Burrow
8. Peacock
9. TBC
10. Morley
11. Ellis
12. Gilmour
13. Sinfield

14. Roby
15. Burgess
16. Fa'asavalu
17. Graham

Only the 2 positions up for grabs me thinks. In reality we will have to drop one of those forwards out as O'Loughlin has to play.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Fairleigh Good! said:
You cannot be serious!

Leon Pryce is the best stand off GB have had in years and it is his natural position. Why play him elsewhere?

I agree. I think people sometimes believe that because a player isn't a natural organiser that they shouldn't play in the 6 or 7. Leon isn't a traditional stand-off, but his running game is second to none, and he can still set up the outside men more than adequately. He is the type of player that you want to give early ball to in space and just see what happens. More often than not with Leon it is good. I'd give anything to see him in the NRL, but he prefers Blackpool apparently. :)

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
I want Burrow to play for Souths, lol the play on words would be too appealing. Otherwise i would obviously love that standard of halfback at parramatta.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
He would mate. As would Price and Civo coz both Mozza and Peacock can play in the back row, but Gilmour and Ellis have been good, soo. hmm.;

8.Price
10. Civo
11. Morley
12. Peacock

15. Asotasi
16. Burgess

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Fairleigh Good! said:
You cannot be serious!

Leon Pryce is the best stand off GB have had in years and it is his natural position. Why play him elsewhere? He wouldn't be as good as Gardner on the wing and he CANNOT play fullback. Centre is an option he could probably do well in, but as he's not playing there for club, why make him for country. Danny McGuire is a finisher, a guy who takes the last pass in a move. He is not going to create anything through either his passing or kicking game.

1. Wellens
2. Raynor
3. Gleeson
4. TBC
5. Gardner
6. Pryce
7. Burrow
8. Peacock
9. TBC
10. Morley
11. Ellis
12. Gilmour
13. Sinfield

14. Roby
15. Burgess
16. Fa'asavalu
17. Graham

Only the 2 positions up for grabs me thinks. In reality we will have to drop one of those forwards out as O'Loughlin has to play.

If ball grabber is the best 5/8 you have then you have as many problems as the Kiwis. He looks very limited.

D

Deleted member 10972

Fairleigh Good! said:
You cannot be serious!

1. Wellens
2. Raynor
3. Gleeson
4. TBC
5. Gardner
6. Pryce
7. Burrow
8. Peacock
9. TBC
10. Morley
11. Ellis
12. Gilmour
13. Sinfield

14. Roby
15. Burgess
16. Fa'asavalu
17. Graham

Pryce is NOT a natural 5-8. He is like Inglis at 5-8, almost just an extra outside back. Put him at centre, let him roam.

McGuire at 5-8, he is not a better player then Pryce IMO, but is a better 5-8.

Inglis doesn't play centre/wing for club, yet plays there in Origin & Internationals. Perrett plays centre/wing mostly for Roosters. Halatau plays lock mostly for Tigers.

Means nothing.

Azkatro

First Grade
The Mack said:
Pryce is NOT a natural 5-8. He is like Inglis at 5-8, almost just an extra outside back. Put him at centre, let him roam.

McGuire at 5-8, he is not a better player then Pryce IMO, but is a better 5-8.
McGuire has been tried at 5/8th for Britain and he just isn't good enough. You watch the first two tries today unfold again.. in the plays leading up it is Pryce really running the show. And his second try was brilliant, because he'd been running second man plays leading up to that point so the Kiwis thought he'd do it again of course, but instead he took the line on and they fell for it. Classy play, I personally never saw McGuire show any of that kind of organisation or effectiveness in attack at international level.

Iafeta

Referee
Fairleigh Good! said:
Asotasi is the world's best prop we've been told so many times over the past few months.

Asotasi is a fine prop, not the world's best. Clearly at the moment that is a certain Steven Price. I haven't got the stats, but he got about 4,200 metres with ball in hand this year, two or three times made over 300m per game which were both records for a forward in the NRL.

Peacock and Morley are good, but Price is unbelievable.

taste2taste

Juniors
Iafeta said:
Asotasi is a fine prop, not the world's best. Clearly at the moment that is a certain Steven Price. I haven't got the stats, but he got about 4,200 metres with ball in hand this year, two or three times made over 300m per game which were both records for a forward in the NRL.

Peacock and Morley are good, but Price is unbelievable.

Yes Price is excellent, but he is just a hit up merchant.
Asotasi has a wicked step he puts on just before he hits the line which enables him to get quick play the balls, he can stand in tackles and offload, and can pass before he hits the line, often putting runners in holes. All skills Price dosnt have. Stats can sometimes tell a lie. Asotasi is still the best prop going round.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Have you actually watched Price play? He has footwork before the line, he passes before the line, he offloads. While making 200m a game.

Roy is one hell of a prop but right now I think Pricey has just got the edge on him.

hutch

First Grade
S.S.T.I.D said:
Leon isn't a traditional stand-off, but his running game is second to none, and he can still set up the outside men more than adequately. He is the type of player that you want to give early ball to in space and just see what happens. More often than not with Leon it is good. I'd give anything to see him in the NRL, but he prefers Blackpool apparently. :)

which is why i think he would be an unreal centre. no complaints with him at 5/8th though. i think gb have a few world class players these days.

-roby
-pryce
-burrow
-peacock
-ellis

Knight87

Juniors
Just wondering, what have been the crowd attendances in both tests of this test series so far? And how do they compare to the ones that occured when GB won against NZ last time in 1993?

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
1st: Wembley 36,131 - GB 17-0 NZ
2nd: Wigan 16,502 - GB 29-12 NZ
3rd: Leeds 15,139 - GB 29-10 NZ

1st: Huddersfield 16,500 - GB 24-18 NZ
2nd: Hull 20,000+ GB 44-0 NZ

Latest posts