What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spoilers- Wm Play By Play

lotm

Juniors
i'm with pete and thuga on this one.

I'm just over these mediocre pay-per-views
wasn't no way out the best brand ppv in years? and from what i've been reading, new years revolution and the royal rumble were good also.

i suppose expectations were the primary drawback for this year's wrestlemania. it's always going to be a subjective element, but if you didn't expect much, you'd have been pleasantly surprised.

Instead we had a borefest as a mainevent
how would you know? you were doing your 'shopping'.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Well they are obviously doing something because you are buying their PPV's.

It's called having nothing better to do on a Monday morning. I don't work Mondays, and $10 isn't exactly going to break the bank. It's two less overpriced beers at The Brewery on a Friday night.

I've just read through 200+ posts of crying! Talk about a thread hijack!

I call bullsh*t. I didn't start going pro TNA until after the show.

wasn't no way out the best brand ppv in years? and from what i've been reading, new years revolution and the royal rumble were good also.

Royal Rumble was a f**king sh*tfest. Two ordinary, boring main events and the Royal Rumble was relegated to the midcard. NYR was ordinary with the exception of Edge's swerve title win. Take that out, and you had a PPV whose highlight was a mediocre Elimination Chamber.

Big Pete

Referee
Great, enjoy TNA...

Pfft locky the match wouldn't of done any better, no one really cared about Mysterio winning it, there were some good spots but they weren't going to offer anything else.

I will admit Cena winning shocked me. It shocked me because King was saying how will Cena win now? He's used all his moves blah blah blah. Then he applies the STFU again and wins...a bit WTF but hey I still thought the match was solid, not the end of the world.

Besides I think they've got big plans for HBK, I think a stable or a heel turn is in the works.

lotm

Juniors
this is even more off-topic than the thread is already, but i think that the wwe being a publicly listed company is having an effect on the product. rather than wanting to put on an entertaining product, the wwe's main concern has to be making money. cena, a huge merchandise draw, wouldn't bring in as much money if he were a heel, or not wwe champ. risque storylines would be far more risky with public backlash and even when they try to do something risque, they get shot by a faction of fans. no wonder they're gun-shy.

sure, the wwe's been off the boil for a couple of years, but i'm still being entertained. i think the wwe's taking a lot of undeserved heat.

lockyno1

Post Whore
lotm said:
i'm with pete and thuga on this one.

i suppose expectations were the primary drawback for this year's wrestlemania. it's always going to be a subjective element, but if you didn't expect much, you'd have been pleasantly surprised.

how would you know? you were doing your 'shopping'.

I watched the main event when i got back (fast speed) and it was as boring as bat s..t!

Misanthrope

Staff member
The major problem for the WWE is just a lack of legitimate competition. In the 'good old days', WCW would have been all over WWE if they'd put on a mediocre PPV. Fans would have jumped in droves to see what WCW was doing. TNA aren't that, they're not even anywhere near that.

As long as there are no repurcussions for bad booking or stupid pushes, which there won't be as long as there is nowhere else to go for pro wrestling in the mainstream, things will continue to feel a little mediocre.

Great, enjoy TNA...

I am...

thuganomics

Coach
lotm said:
sure, the wwe's been off the boil for a couple of years, but i'm still being entertained. i think the wwe's taking a lot of undeserved heat.

Could not agree more with that last statement.

lotm

Juniors
Royal Rumble was a f**king sh*tfest. Two ordinary, boring main events and the Royal Rumble was relegated to the midcard. NYR was ordinary with the exception of Edge's swerve title win. Take that out, and you had a PPV whose highlight was a mediocre Elimination Chamber
alright, how about addressing nwo, now?

i'll assume that tna hits every ppv out of the park? how about during the tiresome jarrett title run?

i'm not trying to criticise tna, but i think you're being a bit unfair on the wwe. i expect you're just trying to disillusion people to convert them to tna.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Big Pete said:
Pfft locky the match wouldn't of done any better, no one really cared about Mysterio winning it, there were some good spots but they weren't going to offer anything else..

At least we would have had 3 people that could wrestle in the main event!:?

lockyno1

Post Whore
lotm said:

i'll assume that tna hits every ppv out of the park? how about during the tiresome jarrett title run?

i'm not trying to criticise tna, but i think you're being a bit unfair on the wwe. i expect you're just trying to disillusion people to convert them to tna.

A Jarrett title runs still s..ts on Cena's title run!

Misanthrope

Staff member

No Way Out was very good. WWE last year had a good Wrestlemania, Vengeance, and One Night Stand. It's not all bad, it's just not what it could or should be. Raw and Smackdown are becoming increasingly pedestrian. Characters like Hassan, Cena etc are being botched or misused and the same feuds are being rehashed over and over again (Stone Cold/McMahon, Bischoff/Cena, McMahon/HBK).

TNA isn't always good. They have better match quality, largely, but that's it. Their storylines aren't great, some just plain suck. Jarrett annoys the f**k out of me.

I'm not trying to make people abandon WWE and jump to TNA, since I've clearly not done that myself. I'm just a disgruntled WWE fan wishing for the good old days. The only way we're going to get them is through competition, and the only way that'll happen is if Ted Turner suddenly feels lucky again or if TNA makes a fist of it.

lotm

Juniors
that's a more reasonable opinion than i inferred from you other posts.

personally, i think sd! is still quite good. raw is where the most improvement could be made, considering the talent pool.

what credence do you give to my argument that becoming a publicly listed company limits the wwe in several ways?

PARANoIR

Bench
Big Pete said:
Besides I think they've got big plans for HBK, I think a stable or a heel turn is in the works.

I agree. Seeing the DX sign from both HHH and HBK on the same night, has to mean something imo.

On the PPV as a whole, I don't think it was completely crap.

Mick Foley v Edge was sensational. That match made the purchase worth it for me. It was great.

The triple threat match was short, but still a good match.

Money in a the bank, was good, definitely not as good or as long as last years, but it was good, just didn't have that sort of feeling about it.

I thought the Womens title match was good, one of the better matches of the night aswell.

HBK v McMahon wasn't too bad, not a great wrestling match, but it was cool to watch.

JBL winning the US Title surprised me a bit, i genuinely thought that Benoit would retain.

Clearly the Boogeyman isn't as bad as he was, he's a little better than he used to be and Book carried him through to some decentcy.

HHH v Cena wasn't as bad as it couldve been, the crowd made it better, and for once I can say that the WWE genuinely surprised me, but not for the better though :p

No run ins disappointed me, no in ring promos disappointed me. Cenas entrance was gay, but CM Punks little cameo was cool.

Personally, majority of the matches were decent. The tag match was crap, sure. The pillow fight atleast had candice michelle in it, and shes hot. But the rest of that matches really weren't that bad as far as I'm concerned.

But maybe I'm just not as picky as some of you..I'm not entirely pissed off at it. RVD and Rey both winning made it worth it for me.

Did anyone else not think anything of Henry having Taker in the casket? Surely no one in their right mind thought Henry would win.

I'm looking forward to Raw and Smackdown this week, as there alot of openings still left in certain storylines. Especially McMahon v Michaels.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I initially gave the night 5/10, but having cooled down a bit I'll nudge it up to 6/10. Far from brilliant, but it had some good matches and a few amusing moments. I guess I'm just pissed off that it was so predictable and there weren't any shock appearances like last year.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I have had a rethink. I might give the PPV 5/10. Barely a pass. Edge winning and a good womens and WHC match were the saviours! The rest was bat s..t!

lockyno1

Post Whore
PARANoIR said:
Pft, hardly batshiit locky. Get a grip dude.

Why not?

US Title- too short
Boogeyman- do i need to say any more
Tag titles- crap
WWE Title- rubbish
pillow fight- why is this at WM!

Have i missed one! Every one of those was crap!