What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spoonwatch 2017

soc123_au

Staff member
Getting rid of Geoff Toovey to bring in Trent Barrett
Was there ever a more stupid coaching move?
Punting John Lang for Matt Elliott is up there, but not quite at this level. Barrett for Toovey will take some serious stupidity to knock off the all time derp list.

The other thing that is very telling is there is a fair few players from that gun 20s side that have had to change clubs for a shot at first grade. I don't think any went to Manly.

Last edited:

Knight76

Juniors
I still think the Knights just lack that bit of depth that they will need to avoid the spoon.

Yes, they've looked good the first two weeks and played with a lot of heart but they have a pretty average lineup at best and they're really only one or two injuries away from having a terrible team.

Hate to say it because I don't mind the knights but I think they're still a couple of quality players short as a squad and I think that lack of depth will get them in the end.

This is my concern also, especially at half and 5/8. Cogger is our backup half and he is out for 14 weeks, Pearsall is next in line but isn't NRL ready at all. If anything happens to Hodkinson then we are in trouble. not that I rate Hodkinson very highly as a half.

At 5/8 we already have a young player with Lamb, he is going well, but if he is injured, we really don't have much there to replace him with. Pearsall again realty.

Manly and Souths are specials. Both awful. Newcastle will finish above both.

If Adam Reynolds is injured for any large period of time, we will go close.

Can't see Cody Walker playing in 7. Luke Kelly is a dead set bum and we really don't have any other serious options considering the North Sydney 7 - Eli Levido is contracted to Norths only. Maybe Farah or Cook... But that would really leave us in a hole.

In saying that, the Roosters are going well at the moment but if some attractive looking Dog takes Mitch Pearces eye again, like last year, then that could all change.

If Adam Reynolds is injured for any large period of time, we will go close.

Can't see Cody Walker playing in 7. Luke Kelly is a dead set bum and we really don't have any other serious options considering the North Sydney 7 - Eli Levido is contracted to Norths only. Maybe Farah or Cook... But that would really leave us in a hole.

In saying that, the Roosters are going well at the moment but if some attractive looking Dog takes Mitch Pearces eye again, like last year, then that could all change.
Oh, snap

Valheru

Coach
and yet they were brilliant in defeat the week before against the cows in Townsville so they have already shown they have the cattle to challenge anyone if they turn up with their heads on.

anyone tipping the Raiders for the bottom 4 after 2 rounds
has NFI
none !! : )

Calm down champ, no need to get upset.

I predicted months ago that the Raiders wouldn't make the 8 this year and nothing I have seen has changed my mind thus far.

As I said, it will take injuries for them to be in the bottom 4 but there is not one single positive from last week's game. They had everything to play for and every reason to turn up and put in a strong performance against the premiers but failed miserably. You raiders fans can say it happened last year all you want but this is different and you know it.

Just FYI, only once that I can find in the NRL era has a team made the finals after conceding 40 in their first home game of the season let alone won the comp which was St George in 2005.

So good luck with that.

blaza88z

Coach
and yet they were brilliant in defeat the week before against the cows in Townsville so they have already shown they have the cattle to challenge anyone if they turn up with their heads on.

anyone tipping the Raiders for the bottom 4 after 2 rounds
has NFI
none !! : )

"brilliant in defeat" counts for f**k all, we were "brilliant in defeat" too, yet didn't win the premiership in what was one of the greatest grand finals of all time

Owen, owen 2

gitano

Juniors
Can I get your thoughts on the Dragons performance last night, they played well, no?

Out the other side of a heavy training block. I don't subscribe to the usual LU circle jerk mentality of over hyping one game. Too much real footy experience for that.

Raiderdave

First Grade
"brilliant in defeat" counts for f**k all, we were "brilliant in defeat" too, yet didn't win the premiership in what was one of the greatest grand finals of all time

Owen, owen 2

all the same
id prefer they be brilliant in one defeat rather then serve up the tripe they did against the Sharks ... twice !!

Incorrect

Coach
how many wins should be enough to avoid the spoon? maybe six?
Depends how bad the worst team is... Last year 2 wins would have been enough to avoid the spoon.... whereas the year before in 2015, you needed 9 wins to avoid the spoon (or 8 and hope your points differential was better than Newcastle's)....

no name

Coach
I still think the Knights will get it.
I hope they can shake it off to someone else (anyone but the Titans thanks!)
The vigour of a full season will take it's toll on such an inexperienced side.
The Titans need to wake the f**k up or they will give it a good shake.
Injuries are pretty bad at the moment, but the attitude shown has been more detrimental than the injuries.
Stupid errors and weak defence has been prominent.

T.S Quint

Coach
Has any team ever won it in FG, NSW Cup and u20s in the same year?

I think the Eels got the spoon in both FG and u20s a few years ago. But that year I believe Wenty finished top 4, so I guess that doesn't answer your question at all.
Sorry.

T.S Quint

Coach
2 rounds in now and the race for the spoon is well underway.

The Knights won the last two and are working towards avoiding the dreaded three-peat but can they do it?

I figured we should have a thread for commenting on the race to the bottom lol.

So far, after two rounds we have the Bulldogs, Titans, Raiders and Sea Eagles on zero points.

Of the teams on 2 points probably the Knights and Dragons are the most likely contenders for the bottom. Any teams off to a flyer that you reckon are still a chance of taking the spoon home?

Who's going to win it?

Hopefully Canterbury.