What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sportal preview: Dragons v Eels

Hurriflatch

Referee
Dragons v Eels

VENUE & TIME: Oki Jubilee Stadium, Sunday afternoon - 15:00 AEST
COVERAGE: Channel 9, ABC Radio (NSW), 2GB
LAST TIME: Eels 40 - Dragons 14 at Parramatta Stadium, Round 18, 2005.

WALKING WOUNDED
Dragons centre Matt Cooper (hamstring) has dropped out, but prop Jason Ryles (groin) will return after missing last week. Any thoughts of halfback Matt Head (knee) making a surprise return were put to rest during the week by the coaching staff.
The Eels' chances of challenging for the minor premiership suffered a blow when form centre Timana Tahu (broken hand) went down. He is tipped to return in the second week of the finals and will be replaced by Daniel Wagon. Fullback Wade McKinnon (hamstring) and prop Michael Vella (broken hand) will both miss another week, while lock Glenn Morrison will miss the remainder of the premiership season with a broken finger.

FORM
The Dragons made it five wins in succession with their comfortable away victory over the Broncos. Their big forward pack easily accounted for its Brisbane counterpart, leaving Barrett, Hornby and co to do the rest. They have shortened even further as premiership favourites following the easy win over the competition leaders.
The Eels ran rampant over the depleted Bulldogs to record one of their biggest wins of 2005. The massive 56-4 drubbing improved their for-and-against to the point where they can now seriously challenge the Broncos - who they play in Round 22 at home - for the minor premiership.

WHO'S HOT
Dragons skipper Trent Barrett blew the Broncos away with a brilliant solo try to break the deadlock in the 32nd minute. Showed plenty of pace to dash past Broncos fullback Karmichael Hunt to score in the right corner. After a rather forgettable performance in Round 18 against the Eels which resulted in a suspension, the former Test pivot will be looking for revenge this week.
For the Eels, hooker Mark Riddell deserves a mention for bringing the post-try celebration back into vogue against the Bulldogs. His little jig at the conclusion of his determined solo four-pointer had the enthusiastic Eels crowd in raptures. He also killed them every time he took the ball up or made a dash from dummy-half. This match will be his first at Kogarah since leaving the Dragons for the Eels at the end of last season.

WHO'S NOT
Tahu. After two weeks of exceptional centre play, the exciting former Test back must now watch Parramatta's charge for the minor premiership from the sidelines due to injury.

KEY MATCH-UPS
Trent Barrett v John Morris
Lance Thompson v Nathan Hindmarsh
Mark Gasnier v Ben Smith

LIKE TO SEE
This match live up to its billing as one of the blockbuster clashes of the year. Hopefully both sides can continue with their attractive brand of footy and maintain the intensity levels for most of the 80 minutes.

WOULDN'T LIKE TO SEE
Fans turned away from blockbuster games such as this in the future. All 17,000 tickets have been sold well in advance for this match, stopping many people from attending. This match was definitely one for a much bigger stadium than the boutique Oki Jubilee.

WE THINK
The home ground advantage will be crucial for the Dragons in what should be a closely-fought contest. They should also have a slight advantage in the forwards with Ryles returning to partner Bailey in the front row. There are still question marks over the Eels halves, particularly the inexperienced No.7. Dragons by 8.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
There are still question marks over the Eels halves, particularly the inexperienced No.7

they'll still be rolling out this tired old cliche the day after we win the GF

Nickeel

Juniors
Twizzle said:

Yeah, but then the question marks will pertain to the question "Where is he?" or "How did he pass out on the roof of the grandstand?" :lol:

Nick

Stagger eel

Staff member
Kornstar said:
I don't think this match will be close, whoever wins will win convincingly IMO

I can't see us romping home!..if we win it'll be a grinding victory within 8 points. At worst, I'm affraid it may get a little ugly.

Anon

Bench
I don't think this match will be close, whoever wins will win convincingly IMO

I'm a Dragons supporter and I agree (I hope it is the Dragons who win :)) It usually happens in games that are hyped up by the media though.

sparkeel

Juniors
Same old quotes from the media about our halves.............We have scored the most points out of any team and there are still questions. If Morris and Smith played for the Dragqueens they would probably be rated the best halves combo in the league. Most players are overrated there!

mickdo

Coach
sparkeel said:
Same old quotes from the media about our halves.............We have scored the most points out of any team and there are still questions. If Morris and Smith played for the Dragqueens they would probably be rated the best halves combo in the league. Most players are overrated there!
In defence of those media people (I can't believe I am doing this), they seem to be pointing more towards the finals pressure aspect of it. Will our half be able to perform under finals pressure? It's completely unrelated to how many points we can score during the regular season, and probably a fair enough point to make when there are some players like Kimmorley for example who can carve up the poms and win a GF, but can't perform in Origin.

Different players perform differently in different types of pressure. Our number 7 is an unknown quantity in finals football. Personally I think he will be up to it, but I can understand the media morons making that point, epsecially when they have to find something to write about.

Kornstar

Coach
I think Brian will really try and shield Smith from the finals, i think he will try and make Riddell, Marsh and even Morris take more responsibilty, which i think is a big mistake! Of course they should have some fallback plans but i say in the finals let Timmy lose and see if he is up to it. I mean this year we have already done what most people said we couldn't so if we don't make the GF is it really a bad thing? Timmy will be better for the experience and if he fails then he knows what will need to be done to make it work next year.

I know i will be attacked for this but i really think we need to let Timmy be tested come finals time........if he really is to be our future then there will be plenty more finals campaigns for him to be in.

That is my opinion anyway

mickdo

Coach
Kornstar said:
I think Brian will really try and shield Smith from the finals, i think he will try and make Riddell, Marsh and even Morris take more responsibilty, which i think is a big mistake! Of course they should have some fallback plans but i say in the finals let Timmy lose and see if he is up to it. I mean this year we have already done what most people said we couldn't so if we don't make the GF is it really a bad thing? Timmy will be better for the experience and if he fails then he knows what will need to be done to make it work next year.

I know i will be attacked for this but i really think we need to let Timmy be tested come finals time........if he really is to be our future then there will be plenty more finals campaigns for him to be in.

That is my opinion anyway
No argument from me. Brian's attitude all year is to leave TS on a reasonably loose rein, and I reckon that will continue.

Grail

Juniors
I don't think Brian will go into a game looking to shield Tim, but if things go poorly, it wouldn't surprise me to see Tim yanked and PJ to slot into 7 for a bit so that the kid can get composed. Getting smashed in the finals might not do his long term prospects anygood. But otherwise I think Smith will let them play as they have been.

Kornstar

Coach
I really hope he doesn't change what has been working, but you never know with Smith now do you?

I agree with yanking him if things go poorly, not for the entire match but for 10-15 minutes or so to get himself together and get back out there and show what he is made of........that wouldn't be a bad thing if needed.

Brian Smith wont do any harm to the team at all, at this time with injuries and some teething problems, i couldn't think of a better coach to get us thru the next couple of weeks, brian has waited three years to be back in this position and will make sure he wont muck it up again. If we get our fair share of calls on the field and no major injuries im sure their will a lot of happy parra fans at the end of this year.

St George Illawarra Dragons v Parramatta Eels at Oki Jubilee Stadium at 5pm on Sunday.

Head to head: Played 10, Dragons 2, Eels 7, drawn 1.
Last match: Eels 40 bt Dragons 14 at Parramatta Stadium (Rd 18, 2005).

It's not often the Prime Minister and NSW Premier rock up for an NRL regular season game. But it's not often an NRL regular season game comes along like this.

The Dragons are outright title favourites after five straight wins. The second-placed Eels are full of confidence after embarrassing premiers the Bulldogs 56-4 last round.

Throw in their last clash controversy - the infamous Trent Barrett-PJ Marsh stoush - and the return of former Dragon Mark Riddell to Kogarah and you have all the ingredients for a blockbuster.

Eels have been wounded by the loss of centre Timana Tahu (broken hand), ending a much anticipated showdown with Dragons matchwinner Mark Gasnier.

And Parramatta backrower Glenn Morrison is out for the regular season with a broken finger.

But the Eels - armed with the likes of in-form halves Tim Smith and John Morris - will still fancy their chances of an upset after winning five of their last seven away games.

Key: Can Parramatta overcome the Dragons' firepower with the loss of Tahu?

Tip: Dragons by 2.

Avenger

Immortal
I think Burty will finally prove me wrong and win the game for us and end up playing for Australia in the Tri Nations tour.

rebecca_wilson.jpg

Glenn

First Grade
Twizzle said:

It will be
"Parramatta inexperienced half/five-eight comibination, will not be able to cope woith the pressure of defending the title." :roll:

Latest posts