What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sportal preview for this Saturday

Nickeel

Juniors
Eels v Knights

VENUE & TIME: Parramatta Stadium, Saturday night - 19:30 AEST
COVERAGE: Fox Sports, ABC Radio (Newcastle only)
LAST TIME: Eels 50 - Knights 0 at EnergyAustralia Stadium, round 14, 2005

WALKING WOUNDED
For the Eels, fullback Wade McKinnon returns from a hamstring injury, while prop Michael Vella is out for a further two weeks with a broken hand. Winger Matt Petersen has been ruled out for the season with a broken leg, suffered last week against the Raiders. There is still no word on when utility Daniel Wagon (shin) will make his return.
The Knights were hoping to get experienced centre Matt Gidley back from a groin injury, but he requires another week. Brother Kurt may join him on the field next week against Bulldogs if he is the given the all-clear to resume playing from a similar injury.

FORM
A minor hiccup for the Eels last week when they unexpectedly struggled against the Raiders. Canberra decided to throw it around and the Eels were caught napping with their big forwards tiring in the latter stages. Still good things to remain in second position come finals time.
The Knights were strong against the Sharks, but failed in golden point to get the cash. It was their fifth loss by four points or less for the season which isn't too bad for a side resigned to finishing with the wooden spoon.

WHO'S HOT
Eels second-rower Nathan Hindmarsh just doesn't know when to stop. But last week it wasn't a marathon defensive effort that caught the eye, it was his damaging ball-carrying. From 21 hit-ups, he made 214m on top of the usual 40-50 tackles. People tend to forget Hindmarsh can be just as devastating in offence as he can be effective in defence.
Hindmarsh's clash with Blues Origin teammate Steve Simpson should be a highlight of this match with both players in top form. Simpson was unstoppable at times for the Knights last week in a strong two-try performance.

WHO'S NOT
Eels winger Matt Petersen may have played his last game for the club after suffering a season-ending injury in Canberra last Sunday. It's common knowledge the Eels have allowed him to negotiate with rival clubs for next year.

KEY MATCH-UPS
Tim Smith v Andrew Johns
Nathan Hindmarsh v Steve Simpson
Mark Riddell v Danny Buderus

LIKE TO SEE
The rookie take it up to master. Boom Eels halfback Tim Smith has been a bit quiet of late and will need to find his best to counter one of the greatest of all time in Andrew Johns. If ever Smith is to learn the finer arts of halfback play, it will be this week. Let's hope he gives as good as he gets.

WE THINK
With Johns, Buderus and co. available for Newcastle, don't expect a 50-point win to the Eels this time around. The Eels' superior forward pack and bench should give them the impetus to etch out a comfortable victory, but not before the ever-improving Knights give a bit a cheek. Eels by 14.

Looking forward to it... particularly the 7 vs. 7 battle! Hope Timmy kills his idol! (though not literally)

Incidentally, didn't Wade play last week?

Nick

yy_cheng

Coach
It was good to see Timmy kicking near the opposition goal line last week. He has been trying to run more rather than kick. I haven't seen a kick out to grothe for a long time.

Kornstar

Coach
Timmy was good last week against the Raiders, i thought it was probably his best game in a month, unfortuantaley it was overshadowed because we lost. This week will be a great test for Timmy, i hope Brian lets him play the way he wants to..........no holding back, we want to see the old versus the new this week, hopefully they will both show brilliance (although not too much from Johns)

yy_cheng

Coach
Over the last few matches prior to the Raiders, alot of the play has been shifted to Morris and earlier piggy.

Last week timmy got back into it a bit more.

Maybe BS was trying to see how we would go if Timmy was injured.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Timmy has been looking forward to playing against Joey, and nhe will be very keen to put in his best game for the year imo

Looking forward to it

Haynzy

First Grade
yeah I can't wait.
If there is a game where he is likely to freeze up or be awestruck it'll be against joey.

Johnny_Eels

Juniors
Hope Timmy kicks alot more to the Wings this week i love seeing Ben and Eric leaping 6 ft in the air and grabbing those kicks. If Timmys confident we got this wraped up.

yy_cheng

Coach
He sets up 3 trys against the Raiders and they call him quiet. What do they want blood????

I guess everyone is expecting alot from him now that he has set such a hi standard. But if we had won against the raiders, QUIET might not have been the adjective used.

Stagger eel

Staff member
eloquentEEL said:
i thought Petersen was supposed to be right in a few weeks?

he more than likely is, it's obvious the author of the review thought otherwise.