What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Vlad59

Bench
a proposed 40k stadium isnt an opinion its a fact. Being the smallest proposed venue in over 100 years, by some distance, isnt an opinion its fact.
Where opinion comes in is if you think a 40k temp stadium is a fitting venue for the worlds biggest sporting occasion. Personally I dont and it would seem from recent media comments from others that I'm not alone. In fact Id go as far as to say it somewhat embarrassing for Australia to be the Olympic host in such a limited venue.
If people took off their AFL hate gasses for a moment most would probably agree.
Im not agitated, it wont make any difference to my life lol
Definitely agitated and triggered. Why else would you endlessly advocate for a stadium that advantages the afl on a nrl stadium discussion. Yep. Triggered and agitated. Critical analyst? Naahhhh

Perth Red

Post Whore
Definitely agitated and triggered. Why else would you endlessly advocate for a stadium that advantages the afl on a nrl stadium discussion. Yep. Triggered and agitated. Critical analyst? Naahhhh
Im advocating for a stadium that is befitting of the Olympics that wont make Australia look like some hick backwater, AFL usage I dont care one or the other, it wont make a jot of difference to RL and so I leave to the loonies on here to get triggered about.

Vlad59

Bench
Im advocating for a stadium that is befitting of the Olympics that wont make Australia look like some hick backwater, AFL usage I dont care one or the other, it wont make a jot of difference to RL and so I leave to the loonies on here to get triggered about.
Sure mate. Go whinge about something else. But try and stay on topic hey?

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
a proposed 40k stadium isnt an opinion its a fact. Being the smallest proposed venue in over 100 years, by some distance, isnt an opinion its fact.
Where opinion comes in is if you think a 40k temp stadium is a fitting venue for the worlds biggest sporting occasion. Personally I dont and it would seem from recent media comments from others that I'm not alone. In fact Id go as far as to say it somewhat embarrassing for Australia to be the Olympic host in such a limited venue.
If people took off their AFL hate gasses for a moment most would probably agree.
Im not agitated, it wont make any difference to my life lol
Nauuurrrr - be real - your comments weren't just "the plans are for a 40k stadium" - you were bleating on - "40k iS a JoKe" and "WoRsE [sic] sTaDiUm iN oVeR a CenTurY". Those were opinions. My opinion is a packed 40k will be fine. The President of the IOC shares that opinion, and that is all that matters.

Don't forget, the showpiece stadium (and most popular at that) at the Paris Olympics was actually a temporary 'ScAfFoLdiNg' stadium.

Would you prefer that only cities with a fully functional 60-80k stadium for athletics gets the games? So we should just rotate it around Paris, London, Beijing, Berlin, etc?

And when that is not enough, and we are bored of those stadiums, or they are seen as unfit to host by people like you, we can just rely on Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt to have slaves build huge stadiums and wash sport?

Is that what you really want?

Back to the 40k iSsUe - luckily at this stage the IOC doesn't mind that. They want the games to be sustainable, and with that, fun new cities will have the chance to bid and hopefully host the Olympics, like Brisbane, and some of the cities preparing bids for 2036, like Santiago.

My god, once you see the potential bid from Copenhagen you will dye your hair pink and ask for a short bob.

Wb1234

Referee
Pvl needs to get on top of this and ensure not a single cent goes towards the gabba

Peter Beattie and Kate jones have strong backgrounds in qld state politics

the best result for the state will be all of that budget going to Suncorp and the rest to the athletics track

Santino Patane

Juniors
Gold Coast is an obvious choice. We've already shown an athletics track fits in the ground (doesn't fit into the Gabba in current configuration) and temp seating brings it up to 40k as it was during the commonwealth games. Minimal spending and 45 mins south of QSAC, not too bad.

Then put $600M into Suncorp to bring it up to 70k with a new western stand and filling the corners in for opening and closing ceremonies plus soccer. Money will have to be spent on Suncorp anyway so may as well use this opportunity.

Put $400M into modernising the Gabba as a 35k stadium (sustainable size for the footprint the Gabba has to work with) which is more than enough for cricket and Fitzroy). Again, the Gabba is going to need money spent on it anyway so may as well use this opportunity.

Spend $500m on a new 30k rectangular venue at Perry Park, Ballymore, Showgrounds or Redcliffe for Rugby 7's and Olympic Soccer.

Brisbane Olympics then leaves a legacy for NRL, NRLW, AFL, Cricket, Soccer and Union.

Brisbane has a 70k Suncorp for events like NRL GF's, Magic Rd, Origin, Concerts, big NRL derbies, Wallabies, Socceroos, Matildas.

A modern, state of the art oval for cricket and fumbling.

A much needed mid sized rectangular venue for Reds, Roar, some Dolphins games, smaller Wallabies tests, NRLW Origins and Finals games and magic round overflow once we hit 20 teams.

1.5m spent to actually set the city's stadium infrastructure up for the next 30 years.
A very common sense approach and exactly what should happen. That’s probably why it won’t happen in reality….

i0Nic

Juniors
Yes Paris showed that scaffolding stadiums can not only be perfectly fine, they can be amazing. Beach volleyball, equestrian, etc. Even their bigger venues like Swimming use a significant amount of 'scaffolding' to reconfigure a rugby stadium into a swimming venue.

We are seeing a change in venue strategy for Olympic Games.

Gone are the days when bid cities were expected to build from scratch massive showpiece stadiums for each major sport. Not only putting their city in massive debt but also not creating the right legacy for the host city.

Brisbane building a huge $3B oval is a total waste of money beyond the 2 weeks. It's a simple as that. Fortunately, the IOC is on the same page and does not want this to be the case either.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nauuurrrr - be real - your comments weren't just "the plans are for a 40k stadium" - you were bleating on - "40k iS a JoKe" and "WoRsE [sic] sTaDiUm iN oVeR a CenTurY". Those were opinions. My opinion is a packed 40k will be fine. The President of the IOC shares that opinion, and that is all that matters.

Don't forget, the showpiece stadium (and most popular at that) at the Paris Olympics was actually a temporary 'ScAfFoLdiNg' stadium.

Would you prefer that only cities with a fully functional 60-80k stadium for athletics gets the games? So we should just rotate it around Paris, London, Beijing, Berlin, etc?

And when that is not enough, and we are bored of those stadiums, or they are seen as unfit to host by people like you, we can just rely on Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt to have slaves build huge stadiums and wash sport?

Is that what you really want?

Back to the 40k iSsUe - luckily at this stage the IOC doesn't mind that. They want the games to be sustainable, and with that, fun new cities will have the chance to bid and hopefully host the Olympics, like Brisbane, and some of the cities preparing bids for 2036, like Santiago.

My god, once you see the potential bid from Copenhagen you will dye your hair pink and ask for a short bob.
actually yes I think the games should only be held in cities with a suitable showcase 70-80k stadium. There is in fact some strong viability reasoning to have rotational Olympics across fewer host cities instead of small cities like Brisbane scrambling around to find money they dont have to create facilities that are inferior.
Its the Olympics not some shamateur event. Imagine the Superbowl being hosted in a high school football stadium or the soccer world cup in a 30k temp stadium.

i0Nic

Juniors
If cities were to do like what Perth Red is suggesting moving forward, may as well just rotate the games between LA and London and maybe Sydney/Melbourne as they'll be the only cities that can host.

Vlad59

Bench
actually yes I think the games should only be held in cities with a suitable showcase 70-80k stadium. There is in fact some strong viability reasoning to have rotational Olympics across fewer host cities instead of small cities like Brisbane scrambling around to find money they dont have to create facilities that are inferior.
Its the Olympics not some shamateur event. Imagine the Superbowl being hosted in a high school football stadium or the soccer world cup in a 30k temp stadium.
I thought you’d run off to have a good cry? Stick to whinging about crowds. It’s all you are good for.

Vlad59

Bench
If cities were to do like what Perth Red is suggesting moving forward, may as well just rotate the games between LA and London and maybe Sydney/Melbourne as they'll be the only cities that can host.
He considers himself to be smarter than the rest of us but comes up with these utterly stupid ideas.

Wb1234

Referee
How many days of the Olympics would the athletics stadium be full ?

15 mins for the men’s finals and ?

SLRBRONCOS

Referee

Rotating the Olympics will just kill them - so we all should be glad that we've found the conclusion that you want.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Eh? There would be dozens of cities in the world that have, or could afford, the right infrastructure for the Olympics. Given its only every 4 years you could have a dozen cities with the right infrastructure and they would only host every 50 years or so!
Personally Id build it all in Greece and host it there very time if the IOC is really serious about doing it cheaply. Greece could do with the revenue.

Last edited:

Latest posts