What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SPortal Preview : v Panthers

yy_cheng

Coach
Eels v Panthers

VENUE & TIME: Parramatta Stadium, Sunday - 15:00 AEDT
HEAD TO HEAD: Played 73, Eels 47, Panthers 25, draws 1
COVERAGE: Channel 9, 2GB, ABC Radio
LAST TIME: Eels 32 - Panthers 22 at Penrith Stadium, round 13, 2005

WALKING WOUNDED
Round four wasn't kind to the Eels in the injury department with PJ Marsh and Ben Smith both suffering ankle ligament damage to be out for up to six weeks. Interchange player Peter Lewis damaged his ribs and will miss up to a month. Lock Glen Morrison will miss another week with a knee injury, but the club will regain centre Timana Tahu (hamstring).
Five-eighth Preston Campbell (calf) and winger Luke Rooney (back) picked up minor injuries last week but should be right for the Panthers.

FORM
The Eels blew a 14-0 lead, eventually surrendering to the Cowboys at home last week. As the Cowboys began their charge, the Eels became frustrated and virtually self-destructed. One win from four starts so far this season.
The Panthers suffered their first loss in eight matches, spanning back to last season when they lost in extra-time to the Raiders last week. Led 20-14 with one minute to go, but couldn't hold Canberra out.

WHO'S HOT
For the Eels, second-rower Nathan Hindmarsh continues to astonish with the amount of defensive work he gets through. Made a staggering 63 tackles last week and is the leading tackler in the NRL so far this season.
Panthers forward Frank Pritchard has the potential to be one of the games most damaging ball running forwards if he can just overcome the injury curse. Came off the bench last week and made an immediate impact, setting up a try for winger Luke Lewis and scoring one himself.

WHO'S NOT
Eels prop Paul Stringer. One of several Parramatta players who lost the plot in the second-half last week. He struggled to hold onto the ball and was eventually reported for a high shot. Fellow forward Chad Robinson was no better.
Panthers halfback Craig Gower. Nothing wrong with his general play, but his field goal attempts in Penrith's two golden point games over the last few weeks have been nothing short of ordinary.

KEY MATCH-UPS
Tim Smith v Craig Gower
Mark Riddell v Luke Priddis
Nathan Hindmarsh v Tony Puletua

LIKE TO SEE
Eels winger Eric Grothe in full flight yet again. Watching him stand up Matt Sing and out-pace Matt Bowen last week in racing 75 metres for a try was a sight to be seen for any league fan, especially those lucky enough to be sitting in the Ken Thornett stand at Parramatta Stadium. For a big bloke Grothe Jr is mighty quick.

WOULDN'T LIKE TO SEE
Hindmarsh spend all his energy defending. The Eels have an extremely damaging ball runner on their hands if they can somehow use him a little more sparingly in defence.

WE THINK
The Eels have done nothing so far this season to encourage punters to back them. The loss of some key players through injury for this gives Penrith the edge in what should be close contest. The Panthers look more likely to score tries and have a strong enough pack to hold what the Eels have on offer. Panthers by 8.

http://www.sportal.com.au/league.asp?i=preview&id=2183

The Colonel

Immortal
I find it interesting they say the Panthers look more likely to score when they have only scored in effect three more points than us..... the bye does help but they haven't looked anymore likey than we have.

Nickeel

Juniors
I agree with some of the points they've made, but I think we will win, is all.

I just feel that there are some Eels wanting to atone, and others wanting to step up their attack... couple this with having played so well and lost... I think they will be pretty keen. And the Panthers are beatable.

I hope I'm right.

Nick

Nickeel

Juniors
Hurriflatch said:
It's getting to the stage where Parra have to start winning

It's not panic stations yet. We're only at Round 5. But a win this weekend is definitely in order. It's a long season, but we should be looking for a solid platform at this stage, which up to the present moment we haven't got. I think it starts on Sunday - may have even started last Friday, to be honest.

I don't think we've been playing that badly, and when we start winning it is not going to rain but pour.

Nick

Latest posts