What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sports star feared drowned at Bethells

Martli

Coach
My favourite Sonny Memory is the first try he scored, can't remember who against, but he got the ball down the side line and bolted in a really upright stance, put the blinkers on and just ran. It reminded me of a Forrest Gump touch down. Was the funniest thing to watch, and I was happy as to see him score.

Dave Q

Coach
I dont know about anyone else but I am still waiting for the rescue or recovery.

If he has left us, I hope it was a quick and painless numbers up kind of departure.

Hopsital spinal units are full of beach swimmers dumped by clandestine rogue waves with forces greater than 50 front rowers.

The sadness is still with me.

blain

Juniors
i loved watching him in the lions a season ago, where he and solomona would absolutley dominate!! it was amazing attacking league, man im gonna miss looking forward to his games... everytime id watch the warriors i was hoping for swann to be gone and see Fai there :D

i wonder what the club is gonna do in his memory? (im pressuming he will be gone :( )

Iafeta

Referee
My favourite Sonny Memory is the first try he scored, can't remember who against, but he got the ball down the side line and bolted in a really upright stance, put the blinkers on and just ran. It reminded me of a Forrest Gump touch down. Was the funniest thing to watch, and I was happy as to see him score.

It was against the Bulldogs, broheim.

That Falou moment, was that when he crashed over in the corner to score our only try of the game, a try that ultimately helped us beat the Storm?

He had some very good moments for a young kid, strong and fast, and I'm sure if his workrate and line running improved a real champion for us in the making.

I'm glad to see him being commemorated so beautifully by our fans. Our community is so fantastic. He'll always be part of our community for showing true bravery in risking everything for his family.

Dave Q

Coach
It was against the Bulldogs, broheim.

That Falou moment, was that when he crashed over in the corner to score our only try of the game, a try that ultimately helped us beat the Storm?

He had some very good moments for a young kid, strong and fast, and I'm sure if his workrate and line running improved a real champion for us in the making.

I'm glad to see him being commemorated so beautifully by our fans. Our community is so fantastic. He'll always be part of our community for showing true bravery in risking everything for his family.

I was thinking about that in the car today.

The thing was that he didnt hesitate about the risk. He saw the danger and whooska....he just went for it.

It was decisive and selfless.

People crap on about courage and being heroic, but its taken this kid to show us what these words really mean.

He paid the ultimate price, he cant be beaten or bettered by any person who has lived or who will live.

No tribute is adequate, all we can do is try.

He may never be found, Im trying to get my head around that atm.

He belongs to the seas and to the oceans now, he is an inseperable part of them.

I am sure that his spirit will save many people.

For me anyway, the 2009 comp can never be what it could have been. Thats a bit awkwardly worded but you get my drift.

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee
I know what you're saying Dave. At this time of year my mind is usually racing with selection quandries and looking at the first five rounds and how we may beat them et al, but I can honestly say all of that is the furtherest thing from my mind right now. The thought of the season feels a bit empty really.

Geez, the first home game is going to be very emotional.:(

As tough as this past week has been, I can see us coming through it as an even tighter and stronger team unit.

Dave Q

Coach
I know what you're saying Dave. At this time of year my mind is usually racing with selection quandries and looking at the first five rounds and how we may beat them et al, but I can honestly say all of that is the furtherest thing from my mind right now. The thought of the season feels a bit empty really.

Yeah, Im talking up Souths, but it is only with gritted teeth atm.

I feel a bit closer to him in some ways through my own experience.

His brother is probably wondering why he lived and not Sonny. Sometimes I even think I shouldnt be here either. Borrowed time etc. His brother will be saying that he gladly would trade his life for Sonnys-and he would mean it too. He will feel responsible, when of course, he is not.

There is no rational explanation, none that I can find.

I care more about his loved ones than the footy at the moment, rolling in the sand as they were, trying to come to grips with it.

It will take a lot of courage from them to lead anything like a semblance of a normal life.

They need time, respect and love and then thats only a grain of sand in a whole beach of sadness to overcome.

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee
That's about it mate, more care for his family than anything else to be frank. Logging into these forums and seeing Te Kaha's thread my heart skipped a few beats, and I really hoped and prayed it was true. The more it goes on without closure, the more I feel for the Fai family.

Dave Q

Coach
That's about it mate, more care for his family than anything else to be frank. Logging into these forums and seeing Te Kaha's thread my heart skipped a few beats, and I really hoped and prayed it was true. The more it goes on without closure, the more I feel for the Fai family.

Yeah thats it.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Warning: Tear-jerker ahead...

http://www.stuff.co.nz//4814816a1823.html

'I'll never forget you, Sonny'

Brisbane Broncos forward Ben Te'o remembers his friend Sonny Fai, the young Warriors player believed to have drowned tragically at an Auckland beach last weekend.

I am just lost. I am shattered, and my family are all shattered because they knew him.

I expect that he's gone. I know those beaches out there on the West Coast, those beaches are notorious.

So I have prepared myself for the fact Sonny is gone.

It's just so hard to believe this is all real, it just won't sink in. It's pretty hard for me, being here in Brisbane. I feel like I should be there on the beach looking for him. I have talked to my family in New Zealand. We'll just wait and see how long it is before they find him, and then I will have to make arrangements and I'll go over.

I knew Sonny very well. We both came on the scene around the same time and made rep sides together. We played in the New Zealand under-16s side and went on a tour to Australia, then we were both in the Warriors development squad and toured with the Junior Kiwis also.

I got to know Sonny very well. Just before I went to the World Cup with Samoa, I spent a few weeks in New Zealand and I caught up with him. He was still the same Sonny, smiling and laughing as we cracked our little personal jokes.

He didn't start playing league until quite late compared to other kids. Just like me, he was 13 or 14 when he took up the game seriously but he had all the natural physical attributes for league and got picked up by the Warriors.

Even though he was younger than me, he was someone that I looked up to a lot and admired. He was also Samoan and very proud of his culture and religion.

To me, he was really charismatic, a really outgoing guy who was always smiling. He was never sad, he was always joking and laughing.

If we were in a team environment, he would never stick in one group. He always joked with everyone and was really loud.

He liked to laugh a lot, and there was never silence when he was around. He was a very good dancer and could always have everyone in fits of laughter with his stripping routine.

But on the other side, he was really dedicated to footy. He would always train hard and put in extra. At that beach, he was doing extra work, and that was Sonny.

He was a freak of nature. He was always the fastest, strongest and fittest in every group. Someone with that much potential, who was just about to play international and burst onto the scene … I just can't believe it. There has always been a lot of hype around Sonny, and I've always followed his progress, waiting for my mate to show everyone what he can do, as I have always bragged to people about how talented he is.

I have lost family members and loved ones, but I've never lost someone that young. I've lost aunties and uncles but I've never had to deal with losing someone so young, someone with so much life in them. It makes it so much worse.

I just feel for his family. Sonny was all about his family, and always wanted to make them proud, and he did just that.

He will always be a hero to me, saving his brother that day at the beach, but that's just the person he was. There is nothing he wouldn't do for his family.

I know Sonny is in a better place right now, and in his short time with us he's touched so many people. The last few days, every time I'm alone I think of Sonny and all the fun we had. And I am truly grateful that I knew him and that he was a part of my life.

I get comfort knowing he is with the Lord now, probably smiling and making everyone up there laugh.

I will never forget you Sonny.

Love you uso (brother).

JTR

Juniors
:(

Some more details. He actually had a lifesaving floation aid with him, but tossed it to the rest of the group.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=717160

Fai's cousin details beach drama

A cousin of Sonny Fai has spoken of how the New Zealand Warriors player saved him and other family members from an ocean rip before disappearing in the surf.

Fai, 20, disappeared off Bethells Beach near Auckland late last Sunday after going to the aid of family who got into trouble in the surf.

Cousin James Kaisarika, 24, from Sydney, was among a group including Fai's brother Gillesbie, 13, James's brother Tom, 16, cousin Lafoga Faraimo, 21, and Lafoga's brother Tone, 19, who went to the beach to join in training with Fai, the Sunday Star Times reported.

After training in the sand dunes, the group ended up in the surf with Fai, who had a lifesaving flotation aid.

"We were just trying to catch some waves, and then it started getting deeper and deeper," Kaisarika told the newspaper.

"Sonny was saying to us he could feel the rip was taking us in. He was telling us to go back ... to get out. We turned around but it was too late, we were getting sucked out."

He said Fai and Tom made it out, but returned to the surf when they realised the others were still in trouble.

Fai threw his floatie to the group, who used it to help them swim to shore, but Gillesbie continued to struggle.

"The waves were smashing into us, they were massive," Kaisarika said.

He said Fai, who was yelling at the others to get out of the water, managed to grab Gillesbie and try to swim him back to shore with one arm but both eventually disappeared in the surf.

It took an estimated 10 minutes for the distressed foursome to get to shore and they eventually discovered that Gillesbie had also managed to escape the waves and reach the shore about 50 metres along the beach.

Gillesbie later told his family how Fai had encouraged him to keep fighting, and when they parted he said he would find his own way back to shore.

The family has resolved to keep returning to the beach to search for Fai until he is found.

Iafeta

Referee
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4815245a1823.html

The Sonny Fai tribute: NZ league loses a favourite son

By STEVE KILGALLON - Sunday Star Times | Sunday, 11 January 2009
When Mangere East development officer Dave Pearce first saw a 12-year-old Sonny Fai kicking a ball around Walter Massey Park, he was certain.
"You knew from the moment you saw him that he was going to be a future Kiwi," he says.
Four years later, when coach Dean Hunter threw Fai in with the grizzled veterans of Manukau's national premiership team, he knew too.
"He was miles ahead of anything I had ever seen, and I had been around a long time," Hunter says.
There are two things everyone seems to remember about the first time they saw Sonny Fai play a game of football. First was how much bigger than his peers he was. Second, how much better he was.
"He stood head and shoulders above the rest," says Pearce. "Not just in stature, but in his presence in the game."
It is easy to say when a player is lost so young that he would have been a star, but in Fai's case, it is true. Auckland's tightly-woven league community knows when the next big talent comes along, and they knew for a long time about Fai.
When, at 14, Fai played for Counties-Manukau under-16s and destroyed Canterbury, Christchurch league stalwart Jeff Whittaker rang his old mate Frank Endacott, the former Kiwis coach and player agent, to tell him he had seen something special.
"I only had to look at him once," says Endacott. "We signed him up straight away."
He was easy to spot.
"He never looked like a normal teenager," says Pearce, who was involved with Fai's emergence at Mangere, and then as a development officer for Auckland as Fai made every rep side going.
"He was 192cm, 100kg and ran like Carl Lewis."
Fai's first contract with the Warriors, a three-year scholarship was dated January, 2003. He was still two months from his 15th birthday. He became accustomed to doing things early: he was just three years younger than his teammates when he debuted for the Junior Kiwis in 2004.
He played only one senior club game for Mangere before he was thrust into the national Bartercard Cup with the Counties Manukau Jetz.
"I didn't know much about him," says Hunter. "He came along and he made an impression from the moment he set foot on the field.
"We were 10-8 down against Wellington five minutes before halftime. I put him on the field and he went 70 metres to score the first time he touched the ball."
Most 17-year-olds would have the talent, but not the wherewithal to cope with the old heads of the Bartercard Cup. Not Fai. "When he stood next to other boys, you had trouble believing he was 16 until you had a conversation with him and realised he wasn't 22," says Hunter.
Everything kept coming ahead of time. In 2003, player of the tour for New Zealand under-16s on their trip to Australia; in 2004 and a Junior Kiwi for the first time. In 2005, a regular starter for the Jetz, missing their semifinal playoff defeat to be the Warriors' 18th man against Manly in the final round of the NRL.
By the time he played for the Junior Kiwis a second time the following year, he was, says coach Paul Bergman, "the first player picked ... he was like Ruben Wiki was in the Kiwis Sonny had that mana that Ruben brings".
"He was a very worldly boy he'd been around a lot of football sides already and around a lot of men and he matured not only as a footballer but as a young man. He was a leader, there was no doubt about that.
"Picking an international team to play the Aussies, you want a couple of rugged customers who put fear in the Aussies' eyes. He was one of them."
That year, Fai stepped up into the New Zealand A team. The next, he cracked the NRL reserve grade competition, scoring 14 times in 21 games for the Auckland Lions in the NSW Cup. Last year, it was 15 games in first grade and player of the year in under-20s.
Everyone interviewed for this story agreed: this year was surely going to be Sonny Fai's year.
Instead, early on Friday morning, a group of 2005 Jetz got together and took an early morning drive to Bethells Beach to pay their respects to their old teammate.
"The best thing about him was you'd be proud if he was your son," Hunter says.
"He was a lovely kid. A lot of boys get a big head and turn arrogant, but he didn't.
"When I finished coaching, he would always come and see me at work what I liked about Sonny was he would always come up and shake your hand.
"Everything I've been reading this week was very true."

-----

Great story, amazing how far advanced he really was. From what I'm reading even about the day he perished from our sight that he was out training extra before preseason training began, I really believe this was going to be his coming of age year. Sounds like a very good bloke, it's not the footy that makes this a devastating tragedy but it's what he meant to his friends, team-mates and most importantly family.

Big Mick

Referee
I am still in shock and i'm just so taken back...with what this spectacular individual did.

I'm making a note to give a tribute to him in my season preview i'm writing

Dave Q

Coach
The irony that the one who had the floatie at the start, dissaqpeared.

People cant say he was an idiot, he took all neccessary precautions.

Outstanding individual, role model for sure.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
the extended version of what JTR posted, from stuff.

Sonny Fai's 'a hero, he gave me my life'

Sonny Fai's griefstricken cousin has told how the missing New Zealand Warriors star saved him and four others from death in the treacherous rips of Bethells Beach.
"He gave me my life. My cousin's a hero," a weeping James Kaisarika said yesterday.
Kaisarika, 24, holidaying from Sydney, was part of a family group at the Auckland west coast beach last Sunday.
Also in the group were Sonny's brother Gillesbie, 13, James's brother Tom, 16, cousin Lafoga Faraimo, 21, and Lafoga's brother Tone, 19.
Kaisarika said the younger three joined Fai for a training run in the sand dunes, before all six ended up in the surf, Fai armed with a lifesaving flotation aid.
"We were just trying to catch some waves, and then it [started getting] deeper and deeper," he said.
"Sonny was saying to us he could feel the rip was taking us in. He was telling us to go back... to get out. We turned around but it was too late, we were getting sucked out."
Kaisarika said Fai and Tom made it out of the water but the other four were caught in a rip. "Tom and Sonny... turned back. They saw us struggling, so they came back into the water.
"Tone started to sink, he was going under water so were trying to lift him up."
Fai swung the floatie to the group and they grabbed it and started to paddle back to shore, when Gillesbie "slipped away".
"The waves were smashing into us, they were massive," Kaisarika said.
Fai told them to, "get back to shore, get out of the water", and then he swam out after his younger brother.
"We were trying to struggle back still, trying to call for help," Kaisarika said.
"We were looking back and they were getting further and further [away]. We were just screaming out Sonny, Gillesbie.
"We could see Sonny trying to struggle back. He was holding on to Gillesbie and Gillesbie was trying to dog paddle, and Sonny was trying to swim with one arm. And there was this massive wave..."
Kaisarika said it took the group up to 10 minutes to get to shore as they battled pounding waves and vicious rips. Eventually escaping the surf they called out Sonny and Gillesbie's names and began crying. Miraculously the 13- year-old emerged 50m along the beach.
Gillesbie is still too traumatised to publicly discuss the ordeal but Lalelei Fai said Sonny told their teenage brother: "You've got to be strong, don't give up."
"And my brother Gillesbie said, `No, I can't do it. I've got no strength.' [But Fai replied] `No come on, we'll survive brother.' And [then Fai said] `Don't give up, you can do it, you've got to do it, you've just got to swim. Be strong.' Gillesbie said that [Fai's] last words were, `Don't worry about me, I'll find my own way home.'
Lalelei believed his brother could still be found.
But if he hasn't survived, it was vital to his family his body be found.
"That's closure for us," Lalelei said. "And he deserves the best burial... if this is worst-case scenario.
"Even if it means waiting for weeks or months, we'll be out at that beach every day looking for him. He gave everyone the best that he had... and he deserves to get the best back."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4815238a1823.html

that one really got me.

Latest posts