What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sports Tonight 31/01/2007 - Johns Considering SOO Comeback?

Alex28

Coach
Did anyone catch this at the end of Sports Tonight?

What on earth is he thinking? Looks like we are set to be stuffed around by him again...

foetus_head

Juniors
http://svc002.wic104cx.server-web.com/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/3882/Default.aspx

:O

Damn it, I'm afraid this article backs it up.

Johns to return for the Blues: reports
Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 10:32 PM

Rugby league great Andrew Johns is reportedly considering a comeback to State of Origin football.

The Daily Telegraph reported on Thursday that Johns had been telling friends of his desire to return for the Blues in what is expected to be his last season of league in Australia.

The champion halfback, thought by many to be the best player of all time, retired from representative football in 2005.

NSW coach Graham Murray said if Johns was available "I'm sure the selectors would take a real close look at him."

The 32-year-old did not comment on the speculation but it is known that he would require a release from his NRL club Newcastle because his current contract states he can not play representative football.

Source: AAP

Ben

Bench
Although i love to see him play for the Blues, if it means that he has to be released by the club. I'm saying a big NO!

Alex28

Coach
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21151888-23214,00.html
Joey wants Origin finale: reports
By Dean Ritchie
February 01, 2007
ANDREW Johns is privately considering making himself available for a shock comeback to State of Origin this year.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Johns is telling friends of a burning desire to return and represent NSW again in what could be his final season in Australia.

Johns was not commenting yesterday but sources indicate he desperately missed playing Origin last year and wants to help NSW avenge the 2006 series loss to Queensland.

But there are some obstacles to leap before a possible Johns comeback - his individual form and that of the Knights.

If Johns' form is strong over the first six weeks of the premiership and Newcastle are winning, then he is a real chance to return.

If his form is down, his body is struggling and the Knights are battling, he would remain in representative retirement.

Johns' Knights contract states he cannot play representative football but, given his standing in Newcastle, he would have little trouble gaining an exemption.

Rated by some as the greatest player of all time, Johns retired from representative football after the 2005 Origin series.

He received an exemption last year to represent Australia in the April Test against New Zealand.

This year will almost certainly be Johns' last in the NRL - although he is contracted until the end of 2008 - before he heads to England for a probable stint with Warrington.

"I think if a player like Andrew is still capable of playing State of Origin, then it would enter his head that he has pulled the pin too early," brother Matthew said.

But Matthew warned: "Andrew could be feeling tired through the middle stages of the season and it will depend whether he has the energy mentally and physically."

One source close to Johns told The Daily Telegraph: "Origin has certainly entered Joey's mind."

NSW coach Graham Murray added: "If Joey does make himself available, I'm sure the selectors would take a real close look at him."

ARL chief executive Geoff Carr said Johns is officially retired from rep football.

"He has retired from rep football and we respect his decision," Carr said.

"We're not in a position to comment (on a comeback) because he has in fact retired."

Knights football manager Steve Crowe confirmed the clause in Johns' contract forbidding him to play rep football.

"We won't consider that (relaxing the clause) until it becomes an issue or an official request," Crowe said.

"It wouldn't be something we would discuss in January, only if and when it becomes an issue."

There are no suggestions that Johns wants to return and play for Australia in the Anzac Test against New Zealand in April.

Johns' manager John Fordham said his client had not committed to Origin this year.

"There's no player more passionate about Origin than Andrew Johns," Fordham said.

"He really missed playing Origin last year and when he was approached to cover injuries on the eve of Origin I he thought about it long and hard before declining the invitation.

"You would, however, have to say the likelihood of him making an Origin comeback in 2007 are extremely remote, especially as he has been formally granted an exemption from representative football as well as having a clause in his Knights contract ruling him out of playing Origin from 2006 onwards."

Alex28

Coach
It's just more of the usual - what Joey wants, Joey gets and damn the good of the club...

No! NO!No!...state of origin is glorified club game now..no one really cares until it comes around then its gone.As a player you can understand wanting to test your skills against the best but fans really just want thrie players to get thru it without injury.
Its the premireship that matters to each fan.

Im sure others clubs and fans would just LOVE to see Johns in a blues jersey.hes everyones hero then..but if he injurs himself they will be rubbinmg their hands together and laughing.

Its the games in september that count...stuff origin!

CJKnight

Juniors
I think the selectors will bite the bullet and pick Orford this year. They danced around him last year and look what they got.

Bicey_18

Bench
christopherjon said:
I think the selectors will bite the bullet and pick Orford this year. They danced around him last year and look what they got.

Not if Joey is available....

I laugh at other supporters say we are selfish for saying he shouldnt play, that we have no "state pride".. well I ask them, What would you rather win? A State of Origin or a comp?

No contest imo

Wally4Ever

Juniors
les norton said:
people won't be pleased....

If people ar True RL fans they should be happy. How many truly great players has Stellar SOO Careers and Club Careers?

HE should be able to play for both Club State and Country - if he's tough enough - which he is.

If he gets injured its the luck of the draw. How many SOO players have played till their final year and not ended up injured. Dont be so precious you Knights die hards. Be happy that Joey is back! SOO is the ultimate - Let him go out in a blaze of glory would ya.

Wally4Ever

Juniors
Bicey_18 said:
Not if Joey is available....

I laugh at other supporters say we are selfish for saying he shouldnt play, that we have no "state pride".. well I ask them, What would you rather win? A State of Origin or a comp?

No contest imo

Answer IMO - BOTH :)

antonius

Coach
Same old same old from Johns, does he ever keep his word? Local radio reported in this story that "Johns was keen to play SOO this year before seeing out his career at Warrington in 2008!!!!!" I thought he was contracted to us in 2008??? I suppose that's anther thing he'll worm himself out of. I see another year of pussy footing around Johns is ahead of us. So despite all the rhetoric from him about "Nows the time to put the club first" it all turns out to be BullSh!t, and it's more of what Johns wants Johns gets.

IanG

Coach
Lucky we have Jarrod Mullen. I can't help but feel as if we'll need him a fair bit this season

Yosh

Coach
Let the man play, would be awesome to see him back in the Blues jersey. Also, people do say its just a spectacle, but when we lost last year.... ZOMK I nearly cried, then again I have never been more horrified during a rugby league game then when we lost to the Broncos in the finals....

In addition we have Mullen now. FULL STOP.

IanG

Coach
Yeah well he was on Lawsie this morning saying that this sin't the case. Stating the clause in his contract with the Knights stating that he had to retire from Rep footy

antonius

Coach
Yosh said:
Let the man play, would be awesome to see him back in the Blues jersey. Also, people do say its just a spectacle, but when we lost last year.... ZOMK I nearly cried, then again I have never been more horrified during a rugby league game then when we lost to the Broncos in the finals....

In addition we have Mullen now. FULL STOP.
Mullen isn't Johns, besides which he gave the club an assurance he would devote his time to the club if they released him for that stint with Warrington and that included standing down from rep football, it's about time Johns fullfilled his part of the deal, him playing SOO disrupts the side too much, we'll need him more than ever next year with the backline we've got and like I said Mullen is no Johns.

B-dos

Referee
well that was short-lived...

Johns rules out Origin return

February 01, 2007

ANDREW Johns today ruled out a State of Origin comeback for New South Wales and said he was only committed to his NRL club, Newcastle Knights, this year.

The halfback denied a report in Sydney newspaper, The Daily Telegraph, this morning which said he was contemplating a return for the BLues in the 2007 Origin series.

Johns retired from representative football prior to last year's Origin series, which was won by Queensland.

While he admitted it was difficult watching the Blues surrender the Origin trophy, the 32 year old confirmed he was not interested in playing for them this year to try and reverse the result.

Johns said his Knights' contract has a clause preventing him from playing representative football and his main concern will be winning another Premiership with the club.

"There's a clause in my contract saying I cannot play rep football which pretty much puts it to bed," Johns said on Southern Cross Radio today.

"I'm more interested in just playing for the Knights and hopefully winning a Premiership in one of my last years."

Johns is contracted to Newcastle until the end of 2008, although it is possible he could retire at the end of this year and finish his career in the UK.

The Knights last won the NRL Premiership in 2001, and have only won one other title previously to that, in 1997.

and stop bloody talking of this being his last season!!!..he is contracted till 2008..so let him play this one out.happpens all the time..talk of retirement and .BAM! they are out!..stop it..