What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sports Tonight pisses me off

forward pass

Coach
Hoops has hit the nail on the head.

Sports Tonight is seen right across Australia. AFL is the major code whether we like it or not so you can't blame them for showing that first. Unfortunately, every state except NSW and QLD couldn't give a stuff about the NRL so why would you lead with that.

Most Friday nights they do lead with League.

shadow grinder

First Grade
thats like when i watch bert newton and he has a sports wrap up with some malthouse chick....and they never do league...and if they do bert doesnt listen .....i know the show is done down there but dammit

Hindyscrack

Bench
I watch sports tonight most nights, it is a national program!!!

And league and afl have about 50/50 split in the first story of the night.

Stupid thread...

Razor

Coach
Sports Tonight is a Melbourne produced show.

Channel 10 does their national news and sports shows from Melbourne. 7 & 9 do them from Sydney, but not 10, hence their bias. Same as SportsWorld on 7 have more League than AFL.

forward pass

Coach
I don't think the Channel 10 nightly news is National. Maybe on the weekends but not during the week. They always start with League and do very little AFL so I would be surprised if it is the same news as Melbourne.

Even the weather report is NSW based so it must be local.

choc_soldier

Coach
It can be frustrating sometimes, but you get used to it when you consider that Channel 10 has broadcast rights to the game. Also, it's a national program, and has to cater to what they believe would be of most interest to their audience. And usually it's AFL. But I have seen it quite a number of time where NRL is treated first.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
You're right FP, Ch 10 5.00 news is the local news. Rugby League is sometimes first mentioned, with that imposter Tony Peters. The late night news is national, based in Melbourne.

Razor

Coach
I don't think the Channel 10 nightly news is National. Maybe on the weekends but not during the week. They always start with League and do very little AFL so I would be surprised if it is the same news as Melbourne.

There are 2 news bulletins each night.

Local news/sport - 5pm
National news - Around 10:30-11:00pm
National Sports Tonight - After National News

The national news and sport is done out of Melbourne

melon....

Coach
lucablight said:
I'm forced to sit through 10 minutes of AFL news before they move onto the rugby league. They really need to get their priorities straight. Don't they know what the major football code is in this state?
You know what...The Footy Show pisses me off. So you know what I do?

DONT WATCH IT!!!

Hoops

Juniors
Game_Breaker said:
For some reason on saturday Sports tonight have NRL first
Thats probably because Sports tonight is not broadcast into AFL areas on Saturday due to an AFL game being telecast, On Friday night They probably realise that the AFL FNF on Ch9 is usually still going.

Hoops

Juniors
Razor said:
There are 2 news bulletins each night.

Local news/sport - 5pm
National news - Around 10:30-11:00pm
National Sports Tonight - After National News

The national news and sport is done out of Melbourne
Pretty sure that Sports Tonight is from Sydney,
As with the national news I'm under the impression it changes, Sandra Sully = Melbourne, Jessica Rowe or that black haired chick = Sydney, but am less certain about that

lemon rabbit

Juniors
Sports Tonight is filmed in Sydney. It is NATIONAL show however, ie - it goes to Melbourne. So the argument is flawed in the sense that in Melbourne, people could go "hey, what is the NRL doing on first".

Sportsworld is also a National show.

Both programs give fair treatment to both codes.

Nuke

Staff member
I used to watch Sports Tonight religiously. Not anymore. The nights I really wanna see it (Friday, Saturday, Sunday - the days the majority of the sports Aussies care about are played), it's not on. I can't even remember the last time I saw it.

I had noticed a while back when I did see it occasionally that the NRL was the leading story usually when there was something negative happening in our game. Some club did this, some player got caught drink-driving, some club's fans did that, ect. Rarely was it because of the good stuff on the field.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Nuke said:
I had noticed a while back when I did see it occasionally that the NRL was the leading story usually when there was something negative happening in our game. Some club did this, some player got caught drink-driving, some club's fans did that, ect. Rarely was it because of the good stuff on the field.

Thats wat annoys me about Channel 10, they dont give a stuff about Rugby League so whenever something bad happens off field, they focus on it. Typical Channel 10. :roll: