What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sprint training

Broncos93

Juniors
All through primary school, when I was about 9-12 years old i was a quick sprinter, mostly middle to long distance sprints (200m-800m) although I wasn't bad at the 100m either. I was the quickest player in my whole comp in league, and made a few state carnivals for athletics. You get the point, I wasn't a bad runner.

BUT

When I went to high school, due to compulsory sport I had to drop my athletics. Since then, it's been all downhill for me speed wise. I'm now in year 10, almost 16 and most of the forwards in my team can keep up with me, which is quite embarrasing :eek:. I also had a bad hamstring injury I carried all through the season which never healed properly, so I never really sprinted at 100% for all the 7 months of the season. So 2 weeks ago I started sprint training in an effort to get my speed back up. The plan is, in 4 months time when footy season rolls around again I can work up some pace again. I've been doing 3 sessions a week, and have seen a slight improvement in averages, however I'm running the 100m in the 15's at the moment. Quite depressing when I think 4 years ago my PB was 14 flat. Over the two weeks my average has improved from high 15's to low 15's. I'm guessing if I can almost improve a second over two weeks, then four months of hard slog should get me down to low 14's or better, but I'm just checking to be sure.

So, if you're still with me, if anyone can help me with some training drills or anything to improve speed over 100m I would greatly appreciate it.
At the moment I'm doing three sessions a week. 5x100m sprints, 5x50m sprints, 5x25m sprints. Not a long recovery, just jog back to the line and go again to work up a bit of offseason fitness while I'm at it. I also go to the gym for weight training 1-3 times a week.
Will this work for me? Or is there anything else I should be adding to it to see faster/better results.

And yes I know it's hillarious that I'm running 15's when I'm 16 years old. Cut me some slack, I've only just started sprinting again after a 7 month break =P. If it at all matters, I'm 6 foot and 75kg.

Johns Magic

Referee
Or haven't really hit puberty yet?

Sorry about the personal questions but it's definitely a possible factor in what's happened.

simmo1

First Grade
You made state carnivals running at only 14? Kids must be fatter these days.

adamkungl

Immortal
you're routine sounds pretty good. i'm not expert on sprint training or anything but the best way to get better at something is to train for it.

Build up your leg strength at the gym. Hammies and calves most importantly. Focus on strength and power rather than size, ie. 3-5 sets x 4-8 reps of the highest weight you can do that amount on.

adamkungl

Immortal
i'm interested in what I can run. I never placed higher than 3rd in school carnivals, but in u19s footy i was one of the fastest across all grades (21s and A grade included). I need to time myself somehow

Broncos93

Juniors
You made state carnivals running at only 14? Kids must be fatter these days.

I never qualified for 100m, like I said before, I was better at 400m and 800m. They're the only two I made state for. 100m I never went anything further than the 1st external competition with a 14. Don't worry, we're not all fat sh*ts these days.

Ohhh, and I wasn't 14 at the time, I was 12 when I was in my quicker days...

You need to train to be explosive. Gym work as outlined by AdamKungl is good but you need to do plenty of sprinting drills as well.

Get some witches hats or a couple of footies or something and spread them out say 20 metres apart. Start from one and sprint as hard as you can to the other. Flat out. Walk back around to the first marker, taking your time to get your breath back and then do it again. Do that about 10 - 15 times. Take a short break and then move the markers about 60 - 100 metres apart and then do the same thing. Remember to do that flat out as well.

When sprint training you should try not to do too much distance running. Maybe just a lap or two of an oval to warm up but thats about as far as you should run distance wise. You should focus on sprint.

Another good tool is to get yourself some rope and something large and heavy like an old tyre. Tie the rope around your waist and to the tyre giving yourself about 5 metres lead. Then do the same sprints above with the tyre tied around your waist and dragging behind you. This will add some resistance.

Other than that, a Pilates class would be good if you can afford it. Core strength leads to better stability and also more explosive pace.

Other good exercises are squats and also, I can't remember what they are called but the exercise involves you standing side on next to a bench and leaping onto the bench and then back down again. Do as many reps of these and squats as you can, then try to improve on that number the next time. Explosive pace is all about leg drive. Remember that if you do any upper body work you should focus on work to make you lean. If you put bulk on upstairs, then your legs have to carry that extra weight and propel it forward.

adamkungl

Immortal
Remember that if you do any upper body work you should focus on work to make you lean. If you put bulk on upstairs, then your legs have to carry that extra weight and propel it forward.

However, given he's playing footy it might be more beneficial to have some strength and size rather than shaving an a fraction of a second off his sprint time

watatank

Coach
On a very basic level, to be a good sprinter all you need is power and good technique. If you can get someone to coach you on how to do (or failing that try and find the best runner you can and see how they run) and of course hit the gym.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i reckon right now (i'm 30 and unfit) it'd take me about a minute to go 100m and i may not get there :lol: you'd be lapping me if we had a race. i'd just like to get some general fitness back but dont wanna do the work to do it...if only there was a pill i could use

hey AK, i reckon that how fast you run also depends on whetehr someones chasing you or you're afetr someone. ir eckon psychologically you can push yourself a little bit further if you have to. it's like when people who are generally unfit can run like hell from a bogan or a dog chasing them down the street

backdoor

Juniors
Find the Bullies who chased you when you were 9-12 and abuse them.
Do this every day for several weeks and you will get regain your speed rather quickly.

thuggdogg

Juniors
OP are you black?
Black genes really help.

I hae another nugget of advice.
Do you find that when you run now its not in sync and that one leg drags a bit.

when i was trying to be a sprinter (before i started doing meth) i used to train on the road (quick bursts power to power pole) and that threw my leg balance out and i eventually had to go to a chiro. it took them a long time though to diagnose the issue.
i still have knee troubles from all that road sprinting.

does one leg feel really heavy as you run?

Broncos93

Juniors
No, my legs feel fine and normal. Even when I'm in full flight I can't understand how I'm running slower than 4 years ago. One would think with a longer stride and more muscle on the legs I would be a hell of a lot faster, but I guess not.
Thanks for the people that have actually offered up some helpful advice, I'll keep you posted in here if you at all care.
I'm also hopefully getting onto an old coach who can hook me up with some of those weight sleighs used for resistance sprinting.

Sir Biffo

Bench
OP are you black?
Black genes really help.

I hae another nugget of advice.
Do you find that when you run now its not in sync and that one leg drags a bit.

when i was trying to be a sprinter (before i started doing meth) i used to train on the road (quick bursts power to power pole) and that threw my leg balance out and i eventually had to go to a chiro. it took them a long time though to diagnose the issue.
i still have knee troubles from all that road sprinting.

does one leg feel really heavy as you run?

:lol:

Latest posts