What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad for 2021

WA Tiger

Bench
Madge should have stuck with Walters and Benji at 6 and 7. They were both so different yet solid. They could have been something else..I know Walters got injured but trigger happy Madge had shown his hand before that injury. He had already pulled the plug on that before it even started. He couldn’t resist playing Walters as back up when some of the plays he came up with (I’d rate in the top 2, if not top spot) deserved better.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Yes he did ..Of players we would rather have kept than scared off to another club..

It’s funny when the talk on Madge starts the language becomes hallucinatory, vague, at best hopeful, and things like “our recruitment has improved” - Madge has been barred from final recruitment decisions. Likely since AD and before that Brooks ...Hartigan is in charge of recruitment now. Madges opinion is just that nothing more.
- And yes he’s dropped players! - if that results in an improvement then ok, but it hasn’t..And then he didn't have the balls to actually drop Brooks when it was huge news in the media that he did. Instead he creates a ludicrous position on the bench especially for Brooks that made things worse. Seriously that one is worth a laugh it’s so fked up.
- and Madge won a premiership in 2014 ...A lifetime ago and fired since
All I want to hear is one thing that he has done as a coach of WT that indicates he’s clever and would help make me support him.. You know, any of the usual stuff..He caused that player to improve because he just gets him ..He picked such and such out of the blue and he exploded in that position. He didn’t at first but he stuck with him. He just knows how to get the best out of players. There has to be those kind of things going on for a coach to be great and to turn a club.. Even with non Oz rep players there can still be things done that are clever and makes a difference or results in a win / unlikely win (ala Gold Coast) ..Ive only seen the opposite from Madge or bad things left for too long, including him
Muzgrove stated that he resigned on a lower offer because of the way Madge has looked after him over his time with Souths and us.
There are a lot of players who say similar about the guy, that he constantly checks up on them, current WT players or not. AD & JTJ come to mind as well.

I guess if you don’t want to read these types of stories, then you won’t know. You probably won’t get a lot of those stories from blokes he has cut, but that’s just way it goes.

But I, like all of us, crave success, I think the club is building nicely to that end and I hope Madge is the man to get us to the promised land, sooner rather than later.

Tigerm

First Grade
Muzgrove stated that he resigned on a lower offer because of the way Madge has looked after him over his time with Souths and us.
There are a lot of players who say similar about the guy, that he constantly checks up on them, current WT players or not. AD & JTJ come to mind as well.

I guess if you don’t want to read these types of stories, then you won’t know. You probably won’t get a lot of those stories from blokes he has cut, but that’s just way it goes.

But I, like all of us, crave success, I think the club is building nicely to that end and I hope Madge is the man to get us to the promised land, sooner rather than later.
In saying above, not saying he hasn’t made mistakes, but who hasn’t, but we have a new recruitment system now that should fix a few things.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
Hartigan is in charge of recruitment now. Madges opinion is just that nothing more.

Correct but Madge is head coach and he would definitely have a say in recruitment. Compare the recruitment of the Ivan era to the Madge era. It's a pretty extreme example because I've never seen such atrocious decisions than the ones made when Ivan was in charge but there is a big difference.

- And yes he’s dropped players! - if that results in an improvement then ok, but it hasn’t..And then he didn't have the balls to actually drop Brooks when it was huge news in the media that he did. Instead he creates a ludicrous position on the bench especially for Brooks that made things worse. Seriously that one is worth a laugh it’s so fked up.

Two points:-

1. This proves the point that I'm and I assume others are making. We don't have the cattle. You sack players but you aren't replacing them with better players hence you don't get results. It's a lose lose position because you don't have the cattle.
2. You argument against Brooks just doesn't add up. He dropped Brooks.

All I want to hear is one thing that he has done as a coach of WT that indicates he’s clever and would help make me support him..

I understand this point but I haven't seen many coaches do something special. Players have the ability and work hard and maximize their ability via not losing their shit. The guys mention Luciano and Matterson but I think those guys just have the talent. The only coach I've seen come up with smart plays was Sheens. He was a genius. The thing is he did heaps of other things wrong and didn't get the most out of the team when we had a quality team.

I'm not really sure your point here is valid.

I don't think Madge is the savior or anything but after having Ivan here I'm more concerned about developing a quality team over time compared to expecting a miracle to happen via a squad that don't have the talent suddenly winning the comp or something like that. To me I don't want the coach to stuff the joint ala Ivan or Dessie or Bennet or something like that.

WA Tiger

Bench
Madge should have stuck with Walters and Benji at 6 and 7. They were both so different yet solid. They could have been something else..I know Walters got injured but trigger happy Madge had shown his hand before that injury. He had already pulled the plug on that before it even started. He couldn’t resist playing Walters as back up when some of the plays he came up with (I’d rate in the top 2, if not top spot) deserved better.
That could have been a good story..Both players dropped after the Titans game and ended up 6 and 7 in the apposing team. And went on from there..

Just Clever would be good not necessarily Special.

It seemed the only time players were changed for the good was when there were injuries. Otherwise “the position is yours for as long as you want it son so don’t worry”

For a coach there are always options if hes got balls imagination and is clever.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade

Do you seriously believe Benji/Walters was a better combination than we went with ? I don't see it. I also think AD & Brooks is the best option we have in the halves next year.

The kicker to me is that Madge will get rid of Brooks if he thinks he isn't up to it.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
I don’t get the fascination for walters in the halves, he looked damn good at dummy half imo but he was never going to get the nod over grant

He looked good against a wooden spoon Brisbane side in the halves where everyone blew their loads then went missing in the following games against a lot tougher opponents

WA Tiger

Bench
I don’t get the fascination for walters in the halves, he looked damn good at dummy half imo but he was never going to get the nod over grant

He looked good against a wooden spoon Brisbane side in the halves where everyone blew their loads then went missing in the following games against a lot tougher opponents
I thought walters looked better at 6 and should have been persisted with at least for more than 1 1/2 games. That’s only commonsense if he’s showing something.

At least he didn’t go missing for the whole season unlike Brooks, Pressure didn’t faze him on the 5th tackle and he knew the basics of putting a player through a gap and repeat set kicking.

Brookes was no better than a cardboard cut out all year and he keeps his position..

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Do you seriously believe Benji/Walters was a better combination than we went with ? I don't see it. I also think AD & Brooks is the best option we have in the halves next year.

The kicker to me is that Madge will get rid of Brooks if he thinks he isn't up to it.
Definitely ....
That’s next year where u think recruitment is all that’s needed.
On what evidence?

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
I thought walters looked better at 6 and should have been persisted with at least for more than 1 1/2 games. That’s only commonsense if he’s showing something. At least he didn’t go missing for the whole season unlike Brooks, he knew what to do under pressure and he knew the basics of setting up a player and repeat set kicking. Brookes was no better than a cardboard cut out all year and he keeps his position..

to me walters looked more comfortable in the 9 jersey but that’s just me. The fact he hasn’t nailed down a spot at 26 indicates he is nothing more than just depth imo

Brooks was handbraked by benji. It was evident in the games he was out, Brooks looked a lot better

to me walters looked more comfortable in the 9 jersey but that’s just me. The fact he hasn’t nailed down a spot at 26 indicates he is nothing more than just depth imo

Brooks was handbraked by benji. It was evident in the games he was out, Brooks looked a lot better

I’m not satisfied that we have a class hooker or fullback atm and we may not get our hands on the former this year.

This is because we were recently caught in one of our fake player welfare sessions with Cam McIness who is amongst the elite of the elite of nrl rakage, unavailable until ground zero next year.

So I’m predicting a fullback utility with our available loose change.

That said, the Packer cash is in the Armaguard van and started the leg of its final journey yesterday.

He might even have a good season because the end is f**king nigh.

Then I guess he’s off to Penrith for $200k as a thank you to the Bidwell Betrayer. He’s going to have to adjust his lifestyle. Downgrade to a brand new Lexus.
Fabric seats over leather, 12 speakers instead of 16.
How he will possibly manage is anybody’s guess. Passing of the bucket for him and his family at Penrith Park. If it’s during one of our games, we could grab a handful of coins instead of putting in.

Ivan should be hunted down and made to account.

Team grinch should have arrested him during the grand final and led him away. If not for us, then for that woeful first half of smug.

A cleansing of sorts.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
Definitely ....
That’s next year where u think recruitment is all that’s needed.
On what evidence?

I'm not stating that recruitment is all that is needed. So your premise is incorrect.

Madge may not be the right guy. I don't know. I just don't have the evidence to crucify him simply because we haven't had the cattle.

The coaching role is also a little bit complex. Ivan to me really stuffed this club up but I think he had some really good upsides as a coach. His recruitment though was atrocious. I see Madge/Hartigan/the club improving out of sight in this regard.

You need to get the cattle and then some luck with injuries and the draw etc. Then you see how you go from there.

Bellamy must be considered the best coach in the NRL based on performances but he didn't perform as a SOO coach. I assume his tactical nous isn't really that good and maybe even his ability to select the best team. They don't even recruit well when it comes to stars. Bellamy/the storm seem to just recruit exceptionally well at the junior level.

I don't think we are yet in a position to state Madge is a dud.

simmo05

Bench

Yep. Bringing benchie back cemented our spot in the the bottom 8 for years.