What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad for 2021

The_Frog

First Grade
I’d prefer Hetherington although Tamou does have much integrity & we can certainly do with his leadership qualities
Aussie Jim is a significant contributor to our success this year but we just could not match what was on offer while retaining the likes of Crichton and Burton. Seems the club has run out of patience with Hetherington, wherever he is when he learns to control his aggression will get a good 'un.

WA Tiger

Bench
Of all the overpaid dregs on our books Mbye is probably the easiest to shift.I heard a few weeks ago that the titans were interested in him.
Your right .. leadership ( only we know he’s no good there) He can kick goals and out wide at times, he seems to have a bit more elusiveness and aggression (although he was an inch away from a long holiday with that nearly kick to Clearys head) and he’s always been a reasonable distributor of the ball..Thats good news about the Titans interest...Likely more productive experimenting without him...

WA Tiger

Bench
If we get Tamou he needs to be installed as captain immediately on arrival in fact before...This ridiculous love affair Madge has with Mbye has to end..I know I bag Madge a lot but I think the captain of any losing team can share a large part of the blame ..maybe not 50% but not a lot less...Great teams have always had great captains and I reckon mostly visa versa

WA Tiger

Bench
If we get Tamou he needs to be installed as captain immediately on arrival in fact before...This ridiculous love affair Madge has with Mbye has to end..I know I bag Madge a lot but I think the captain of any losing team can share a large part of the blame ..maybe not 50% but not a lot less...Great teams have always had great captains and I reckon mostly visa versa
Obviously the players have to take some of the blame as well so my % is prob a bit out but if u take the players out of the equation and just look at the coaches and captains contribution that’s what I was getting at

Fordy20

Juniors
Madge is only offering wing money for JAC according to the NRL 360 lady who contacted the club and if he proves himself at fullback then he can get an upgrade..a little too tentative for me..we spend on average 6-800k on shit and then risk losing a test player by doing the “correct thing..” ..Bit of a worry ..if true

It should be a simple and honest story to tell JAC. There's decent winger coin on offer for the first year, but if you cut it as fullback, then you can have a slice of the $1.5M that's gets freed up when two overpaid duds come off the books at the end of next season.

WA Tiger

Bench
It should be a simple and honest story to tell JAC. There's decent winger coin on offer for the first year, but if you cut it as fullback, then you can have a slice of the $1.5M that's gets freed up when two overpaid duds come off the books at the end of next season.
Yea that’s prob the deal....maybe they’ve guaranteed him some of that ..he won’t come for a promise only

Vic Mackey

Referee
I’m more then happy to shift Mbye but I will say that in 2018 he was pretty good at fullback, then had that knee injury in a 2019 trial game which he never seemed to recover from

Against manly I thought he chimed into the attack well, certainly better then Doueihi has been

Even if we get JAC I think our best backline could be:

1. Mbye
2. JAC
3. Doueihi
4. Leilua
5. Nofoaluma
6. Madden/Reynolds
7. Brooks

I’m happy to get Tamou but it’s a shame that we have too. If Packer was doing what he was signed too so we wouldn’t need to get him

That’s probably our main problem, we have a lot of players that simply don’t contribute or put in, even when we lost Mbye and BJ last game I wasn’t too concerned as these two simply don’t involve themselves enough for two senior players.
What was interesting was that it took a player to get sinned bin before the whole team started to have a dig together .

My highlights below:

The roster squeeze behind Wests Tigers' call on Benji
Wests Tigers have just a handful of spots remaining in their 2021 roster but are poised to become one of the most active clubs in the transfer market after November 1 as only 11 players are signed beyond next season.

The imbalance in the Tigers roster and ongoing salary cap issues are the main reason that the club’s greatest player, Benji Marshall, is set to finish his career playing elsewhere next year after being told there was no room for him at Concord in 2021.

Besides Marshall and fellow Tigers stalwart Chris Lawrence, who is retiring at the end of the season, the club’s only other unsigned players are Elijah Taylor, Matt Eisenhuth, Robert Jennings, Oliver Clark, Sam McIntyre, (I'd be signing him quick smart), Alex Seyfarth and Dylan Smith.

Tigers fans may find it difficult to understand how the club can let Marshall go when he is still averaging more try assists per game than any other player to have played more than six matches this season except Cronulla’s Shaun Johnson but coach Michael Maguire had few other options.

After leaving the Tigers at the end of the 2013 season for a brief stint in Super Rugby with the Auckland Blues, Marshall does not qualify for salary cap dispensation for veteran or developed players who have been a member of a club’s top 30 squad for eight years.

Instead, the $200,000 allowance is expected to be used by the Tigers next year to offset the contracts of halfback Luke Brooks and star winger David Nofoaluma in their salary cap.

Nofoaluma is off contract at the end of 2021, meaning rival clubs can approach him from November 1.

However, the allowance may help the Tigers to keep the NRL's leading try-scorer playing alongside Brooks, Adam Doueihi, Moses Mbye, Luke Garner, Alex Twal, Tommy Talau, Luciano Leilua and Asu Kepaoa.

Development players Reece Hoffman and Jake Simpkin are the other Tigers players contracted for longer than 12 months, along with rookie Parramatta forward Stefano Utoikamanu, who will join the club next season.

Brooks, Doueihi, Kepaoa and Utoikamanu are the only Tigers players contracted for 2023.

Only Canterbury and Manly have less talent currently on their books beyond next season but, unless a player on a big-money deal decides to leave, the Tigers have little room to move in 2021 and a roster weighed down by play-making options.

None may have the match-winning ability of Marshall or be as popular with fans across the game but Brooks, Doueihi, Mbye, Talau, Josh Reynolds and Billy Walters can all play halfback or five-eighth and they were already contracted for 2021, whereas Marshall has been on year-by-year deals since 2017.

If Marshall had been signed beyond this season, Tigers officials wouldn’t be planning his farewell alongside Lawrence at Bankwest Stadium on September 26 against Parramatta.

“You have got to have the right blend across your squad of people in certain positions,” Maguire explained.

“If you have too many front-rowers or too many back-rowers, or wherever it may be, it puts a stress on your salary cap to make up a team.”

Business trumps romance
Marshall isn’t the first big-name star to fall victim to salary cap constraints or other issues that led to their departure from a team they had given great service to.

Legendary NFL quarter-back Tom Brady made his debut for Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Monday after 19 seasons and six Super Bowl victories with the New England Patriots, while Lionel Messi played for Barcelona last weekend after the biggest soccer star on the planet abandoned plans to quit the Spanish club.

The most famous case in league was then Australian and Queensland captain Wally Lewis being squeezed out of the Brisbane Broncos in 1990 and finishing his career with Gold Coast Seagulls.

However, long-time Tigers fans haven’t forgotten the bitterness of Marshall’s previous departure from the club at the end of the 2013 season over a contract dispute.

After four years in the wilderness, at St George Illawarra and Brisbane, where he played for little more than a minimum wage contract, Marshall jumped at the opportunity to return to the club where he began his career in 2003 and helped to a premiership two years later.

His flick pass to Pat Richards in the 2005 grand final still features regularly in television highlights packages and former Tigers back-rower Liam Fulton used to joke to team-mates about the number of fans wearing his jersey whenever he deputised for Marshall in the No.6 role.

Now 35 years old, Marshall could still probably offset the cost of his contract in jersey sales for whichever club he joins next season.

An online petition was launched by fans to keep Marshall at the Tigers after he inspired a comeback from 20-0 down to lose 26-24 against South Sydney last Thursday night in a performance featuring two try assists and three line-break assists.

Play-making great Johnathan Thurston told Channel 9: “I can’t believe he is not signed for another year. I was marvelling at what Benji was doing this evening. There are three or four clubs who could certainly do with his services.”

Organisers of the petition were on track to reach their target of 10,000 signatures on Monday but Melbourne great Cameron Smith is one of the few players who get to decide how their careers end, as hard-nosed business decisions usually trump romantic storylines.

Interest but no offers
At this stage, Marshall intends to continue playing next season and his form with the Tigers is the best advertisement for his manager Matt Desira to convince rival clubs that he still has something to offer.

It is understood that Desira has received interest from NRL and Super League clubs but no firm offers yet for Marshall, who wants to focus on the next two weeks with the Tigers before making a decision about his future.

The Broncos, Bulldogs, Sea Eagles and Knights would appear the obvious clubs with interest in a playmaker of the calibre and experience of Marshall, while he may also be of appeal to the Cowboys, whose incoming coach, Todd Payten, is a former Wests Tigers team-mate.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/14/the-roster-squeeze-behind-wests-tigers-call-on-benji/

Tigerm

First Grade
My highlights below:

Wests Tigers have just a handful of spots remaining in their 2021 roster but are poised to become one of the most active clubs in the transfer market after November 1 as only 11 players are signed beyond next season.

The imbalance in the Tigers roster and ongoing salary cap issues are the main reason that the club’s greatest player, Benji Marshall, is set to finish his career playing elsewhere next year after being told there was no room for him at Concord in 2021.

Besides Marshall and fellow Tigers stalwart Chris Lawrence, who is retiring at the end of the season, the club’s only other unsigned players are Elijah Taylor, Matt Eisenhuth, Robert Jennings, Oliver Clark, Sam McIntyre, (I'd be signing him quick smart), Alex Seyfarth and Dylan Smith.

Tigers fans may find it difficult to understand how the club can let Marshall go when he is still averaging more try assists per game than any other player to have played more than six matches this season except Cronulla’s Shaun Johnson but coach Michael Maguire had few other options.

After leaving the Tigers at the end of the 2013 season for a brief stint in Super Rugby with the Auckland Blues, Marshall does not qualify for salary cap dispensation for veteran or developed players who have been a member of a club’s top 30 squad for eight years.

Instead, the $200,000 allowance is expected to be used by the Tigers next year to offset the contracts of halfback Luke Brooks and star winger David Nofoaluma in their salary cap.

Nofoaluma is off contract at the end of 2021, meaning rival clubs can approach him from November 1.

However, the allowance may help the Tigers to keep the NRL's leading try-scorer playing alongside Brooks, Adam Doueihi, Moses Mbye, Luke Garner, Alex Twal, Tommy Talau, Luciano Leilua and Asu Kepaoa.

Development players Reece Hoffman and Jake Simpkin are the other Tigers players contracted for longer than 12 months, along with rookie Parramatta forward Stefano Utoikamanu, who will join the club next season.

Brooks, Doueihi, Kepaoa and Utoikamanu are the only Tigers players contracted for 2023.

Only Canterbury and Manly have less talent currently on their books beyond next season but, unless a player on a big-money deal decides to leave, the Tigers have little room to move in 2021 and a roster weighed down by play-making options.

None may have the match-winning ability of Marshall or be as popular with fans across the game but Brooks, Doueihi, Mbye, Talau, Josh Reynolds and Billy Walters can all play halfback or five-eighth and they were already contracted for 2021, whereas Marshall has been on year-by-year deals since 2017.

If Marshall had been signed beyond this season, Tigers officials wouldn’t be planning his farewell alongside Lawrence at Bankwest Stadium on September 26 against Parramatta.

“You have got to have the right blend across your squad of people in certain positions,” Maguire explained.

“If you have too many front-rowers or too many back-rowers, or wherever it may be, it puts a stress on your salary cap to make up a team.”

Business trumps romance
Marshall isn’t the first big-name star to fall victim to salary cap constraints or other issues that led to their departure from a team they had given great service to.

Legendary NFL quarter-back Tom Brady made his debut for Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Monday after 19 seasons and six Super Bowl victories with the New England Patriots, while Lionel Messi played for Barcelona last weekend after the biggest soccer star on the planet abandoned plans to quit the Spanish club.

The most famous case in league was then Australian and Queensland captain Wally Lewis being squeezed out of the Brisbane Broncos in 1990 and finishing his career with Gold Coast Seagulls.

However, long-time Tigers fans haven’t forgotten the bitterness of Marshall’s previous departure from the club at the end of the 2013 season over a contract dispute.

After four years in the wilderness, at St George Illawarra and Brisbane, where he played for little more than a minimum wage contract, Marshall jumped at the opportunity to return to the club where he began his career in 2003 and helped to a premiership two years later.

His flick pass to Pat Richards in the 2005 grand final still features regularly in television highlights packages and former Tigers back-rower Liam Fulton used to joke to team-mates about the number of fans wearing his jersey whenever he deputised for Marshall in the No.6 role.

Now 35 years old, Marshall could still probably offset the cost of his contract in jersey sales for whichever club he joins next season.

An online petition was launched by fans to keep Marshall at the Tigers after he inspired a comeback from 20-0 down to lose 26-24 against South Sydney last Thursday night in a performance featuring two try assists and three line-break assists.

Play-making great Johnathan Thurston told Channel 9: “I can’t believe he is not signed for another year. I was marvelling at what Benji was doing this evening. There are three or four clubs who could certainly do with his services.”

Organisers of the petition were on track to reach their target of 10,000 signatures on Monday but Melbourne great Cameron Smith is one of the few players who get to decide how their careers end, as hard-nosed business decisions usually trump romantic storylines.

Interest but no offers
At this stage, Marshall intends to continue playing next season and his form with the Tigers is the best advertisement for his manager Matt Desira to convince rival clubs that he still has something to offer.

It is understood that Desira has received interest from NRL and Super League clubs but no firm offers yet for Marshall, who wants to focus on the next two weeks with the Tigers before making a decision about his future.

The Broncos, Bulldogs, Sea Eagles and Knights would appear the obvious clubs with interest in a playmaker of the calibre and experience of Marshall, while he may also be of appeal to the Cowboys, whose incoming coach, Todd Payten, is a former Wests Tigers team-mate.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/14/the-roster-squeeze-behind-wests-tigers-call-on-benji/
What ever he does, I hope it goes well for him. But he needs to remember that we are probably a bit more lenient about him then other clubs may be, he could find himself ending his career in reserve grade, which would be a shame.

WA Tiger

Bench
My highlights below:

Business trumps romance

Interest but no offers

And mine

betcats

Referee
Tamou will be a very good signing. He genuinely embraced the leadership role at Penrith and did it well. I think he’d be huge for your young forwards. I think you’ve actually got the makings of a really great forward pack there. Twal, Leilua and Aloai are keepers, Blore has huge potential as does that Parra kid. Garner and Mcintyre seems decent to me to at least be good bench/depth players.Tamou is the perfect guy to throw in the mix.

JB04

Juniors
Tamou will be a very good signing. He genuinely embraced the leadership role at Penrith and did it well. I think he’d be huge for your young forwards. I think you’ve actually got the makings of a really great forward pack there. Twal, Leilua and Aloai are keepers, Blore has huge potential as does that Parra kid. Garner and Mcintyre seems decent to me to at least be good bench/depth players.Tamou is the perfect guy to throw in the mix.

Think Tamou would be perfect for us, leadership amongst the forwards is something we had desperately lacked this season. If we somehow get Hetherington that would be sensational, we really lack aggression in our pack.

Good luck and all the best for the semis mate.

betcats

Referee
Think Tamou would be perfect for us, leadership amongst the forwards is something we had desperately lacked this season. If we somehow get Hetherington that would be sensational, we really lack aggression in our pack.

Good luck and all the best for the semis mate.

Heathro is super talented if you can keep him on the field he would be a great pick up. He can be very frustrating to watch though.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Jack Hetherington and BJ Leilua in the same team. What could possibly go wrong!

Jack has all the potential in the word, great footwork. The problem with Jack is it's between the ears. Jack can deliever, sadly though his silly aggression gets in the way of this.

It will be interesting to see if Penrith have finally lost patience with him.

If you get him, I hope you can get the best of him.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Jack has all the potential in the word, great footwork. The problem with Jack is it's between the ears. Jack can deliever, sadly though his silly aggression gets in the way of this.

It will be interesting to see if Penrith have finally lost patience with him.

If you get him, I hope you can get the best of him.

I find this an interesting post. I have thought the same with Hetherington. I think he is a real talent and where I'd hope he might succeed with us is though the hard line of Madge versus Ivan being a bit more laid back...Madge might be able to break him and stop the stupid things in his game.