What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad succession

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
ffs

* = player option
¢ = club option
^ = development contract

Utility: Rankin (30), Smith (29)
Fullback: Gutherson
W/C: Blake, Dunster (22), Ferguson (31), M.Jennings, Oldfield (31), Opacic (27), Penisini, Sivo (28)
Half: D.Brown, Moses
Hooker: Lussick (26), Mahoney, Roache (25)^
Edge forward: Cartwright (27), Hipgrave, Lane, Matterson, Niukore, Papali'i
Tight forward: N.Brown (28), Campbell-Gillard, Hollis (20), Hughes (20), Kaufusi, Paulo, Stone (24)

Utility: -
Fullback: Gutherson (28)
W/C: Blake, M.Jennings (34)*, Penisini (20)
Half: D.Brown, Moses (28)*
Hooker: Mahoney (24)
Edge forward: Hipgrave (25)¢, Lane, Matterson (28)*, Niukore (26), Papali'i (24)
Tight forward: Campbell-Gillard, Kaufusi (23), Paulo (29)

Fullback: -
W/C: Blake (29)
Half: D.Brown (23)*
Hooker: -
Edge forward: Lane (29)
Tight forward: Campbell-Gillard*

W/C: -
Half: -
Edge forward: -
Tight forward: Campbell-Gillard (31)¢

So we (officially) have 28 merkins in this year's top 30, and 15 in next year's.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
WTF has happened to Hughes???? Trust our luck to lose Stefano and then him. Hollis looked big but a little bit cumbersome to me wasn't that impressed.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Interestingly on the parra podcast, no one suggested Hughes as a chance of debuting this year but Hollis was......

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
ffs

* = player option
¢ = club option
^ = development contract

Utility: Rankin (30), Smith (29)
W/C: Blake, Dunster (22), Ferguson (31), M.Jennings, Oldfield (31), Opacic (27), Penisini, Sivo (28)
Hooker: Lussick (26), Mahoney, Roache (25)^
Edge forward: Cartwright (27), Hipgrave, Lane, Matterson, Niukore, Papali'i
Tight forward: N.Brown (28), Campbell-Gillard, Hollis (20), Hughes (20), Kaufusi, Paulo, Stone (24)

W/C: Blake, M.Jennings (34)*, Penisini (20)
Edge forward: Hipgrave (25)¢, Lane, Matterson (28)*, Niukore (26), Papali'i (24)

Half: D.Brown (23)*

So we (officially) have 28 merkins in this year's top 30, and 15 in next year's.
Better late than never I suppose...

lingard

Coach
So the official profiles on the club site have been removed for merkins who won't be here next year. Interestingly Gennings, Smith and Stone were all there about a week ago but Gennings is now gone. Do we count these non-omissions as official information? I dunno.

Unofficially, the Cumberland Throw lads have 27 in the squad, including Cartwright, and so far in their latest podcast (which I haven't finished) there's one new player they haven't named. It's very exciting.

* = player option
¢ = club option
^ = development contract

Utility: Rankin, Salmon (21), Smith (28), Takairangi (31)
W/C: Blake, Dunster (21), Ferguson, Heleta (25)^, G.Jennings (27), M.Jennings, Sivo
Half: D.Brown, Field (23), Moses
Hooker: Davies (24), Mahoney, Schneider (20)^
Edge forward: Davey (29), Gower (35), Lane, Matterson, Niukore
Tight forward: Alvaro, N.Brown, Campbell-Gillard, Evans (28), Hughes, Kaufusi, Paulo, Stone (23), Terepo (29), Utoikamanu (20)

Utility: Rankin (30)
W/C: Blake, Ferguson (31), M.Jennings, Opacic (27), Sivo (28)
Hooker: Lussick (26), Mahoney
Edge forward: Lane, Matterson, Niukore, Papali'i
Tight forward: Alvaro (28), N.Brown (28), Campbell-Gillard, Hughes (20), Kaufusi, Paulo

W/C: Blake, M.Jennings (34)
Edge forward: Lane, Matterson (28)*, Niukore (26), Papali'i (24)

Half: D.Brown (23)

So we (officially) have 21 merkins in next year's top 30.

So, in 2024 we only have RCG left. He's going to be busy, eh?

lingard

Coach
do you believe we have strengthened our squad ?

I don't think our squad is stronger (except, perhaps, experience wise). It's arguably slightly weaker - with Jennings out and Opacic's value to the team yet to be seen (although he looks good to me). Overall, we have probably just maintained the status quo from last year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't think our squad is stronger (except, perhaps, experience wise). It's arguably slightly weaker - with Jennings out and Opacic's value to the team yet to be seen (although he looks good to me). Overall, we have probably just maintained the status quo from last year.
Opacic is definitely not as good as Jennings, however Papali'i could add a lot to our 17 compared to whom we've lost. As for the rest of the improvement, it mostly depends on the development of key youngsters Drown (turning 21), Mahoney (23) and Kaufusi (22). Papali'i is not yet 23 either.

I expect Ferguson (31) to continue his decline. Everyone else is in their prime.

lingard

Coach
This.

One thing that we all seem to agree on is that in 2020 our top 13 was often good enough but we had a significant drop off when 14-17 came on. Our current new signings don’t make much (any) improvement. On top of that our top 13 is weaker without a performance enhanced Jennings. It’s still not a premiership winning squad.

In relation to the 14 - 17, I think that if we use Lussick and have a hooker rotation this year, our bench will be far more effective. I think this is a must. We cant keep playing Mahoney for 80 minutes and expect him to come up with a more lethal attacking game. So, from that perspective, we might be stronger this year.

lingard

Coach
Opacic is definitely not as good as Jennings, however Papali'i could add a lot to our 17 compared to whom we've lost. As for the rest of the improvement, it mostly depends on the development of key youngsters Drown (turning 21), Mahoney (23) and Kaufusi (22). Papali'i is not yet 23 either.

I expect Ferguson (31) to continue his decline. Everyone else is in their prime.

I've liked what I've seen of Opacic so far (and don't forget Mennings had a poor 2019 and is of an age where decline often happens) so we might not lose much with that swap. I forgot about Papalililili. He might be very good. Might even be exceptional. Waqa Blake really has me worried.