What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad v Roosters

Dragonwest

Juniors
i am talking about Beale being the illogical recruitment if they are seeing vidot as a long term first grader..
i am also talking about 2013 selections.... not 2012..
please read posts properly before calling it illogical,... :sarcasm:

Yeah it's completely illogical to recruit Beale who is more than capable of playing wing, centre and fullback because Cooper will play forever and injuries do not exist?

Old_Timer

Juniors
Bennett did say Kyle would be the next half over a year ago. A half who started at the Centres thats good history repeating itself i hope

Well Father Ted if he is half as good as the other one was, then we will all be dancing in the streets.

Mr Red

First Grade
Yeah it's completely illogical to recruit Beale who is more than capable of playing wing, centre and fullback because Cooper will play forever and injuries do not exist?

no what is illogical is wasting cap dollars on beale - another back (irrespective of if he can play or not) when we are grooming Green to replace Cooper, and Cummins for fullback for first grade within 12 - 18 months, we already purchased Kemp, Vidot and C Stanley this season for depth to cover injuries and we already have Morris, Nightingale, Cooper, K Stanley as the foundation of the backline this year and next.

my thoughts are that the salary cap is not limitless... lets recruit smarter based on priority - a ball playing back rower aka.. Glenn stewart or the likes to cover for Dean Young, a genuine half back (because Hornby retiring is going to hurt the team more then Cooper given our current roster) and a versatile bench player that can play either hooker/half/five eighth to cover for the loss of fein at the end of next season.
add to that another back rower with a bit of mongrel to cover for the loss of Beau Scott and then MAYBE we can look at another back....

that would be a logical way forward - address our weaknesses first before using salary cap on other areas that we already have covered...

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I really like our team with Moz at Fullback at Vidot on the wing. I think Vidot is far too good to rot at the Cutters and Moz is just superb. I have to say that I am a very big fan of Vidot in the Red V. He has some things to work on no doubt, but geez I like him as a player. He has a very high work rate for a winger and hates being tackled.
Agree with you 100% re Vidot....at the end of the season I think we will be very happy with Vidot and Latimore ...they will get better every game they play...we havn't seen the best of them yet I'm sure.

gorilla

First Grade
Bennett did say Kyle would be the next half over a year ago. A half who started at the Centres thats good history repeating itself i hope

Not doubting, Padre - did Clint actually say that ?

Interesting ....

I've always thought Stanley to be too tall for half, but maybe there's a new way comin' (sounds like a song...)

64 Dragon

Coach
Agree with you 100% re Vidot....at the end of the season I think we will be very happy with Vidot and Latimore ...they will get better every game they play...we havn't seen the best of them yet I'm sure.

Would like to see our other off-season signings to see how they would go in 1st grade. Players like Miller, Mathews, Vea, Kemp and Chase Stanley. Maybe we will see some of them around SOO. Not trying to tell Price how to do his job but it would be good. I suppose if they are still playing for the Cutters they are not good enough or fit enough for the top grade.

gorilla

First Grade
i am talking about Beale being the illogical recruitment if they are seeing vidot as a long term first grader..
i am also talking about 2013 selections.... not 2012..
please read posts properly before calling it illogical,... :sarcasm:

I think there is a degree of "wide-coverage" recruitment - it's like we're not sure who might succeed or fail, or get injured, so there's a degree of coverage across a range of positions.

Beale is one of those, noting his fullback role to date.

64 Dragon

Coach
We must beat the Roosters tomorrow. If other results don't go our way we could end up twelfth at the end of the round. Hope to see plenty of Red and White at the SFS tomorrow. It goes without saying we should outnumber the Roosters fans ten to one. GO DRAGONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Would like to see our other off-season signings to see how they would go in 1st grade. Players like Miller, Mathews, Vea, Kemp and Chase Stanley. Maybe we will see some of them around SOO. Not trying to tell Price how to do his job but it would be good. I suppose if they are still playing for the Cutters they are not good enough or fit enough for the top grade.
Fair comment....Nice to see we have some depth to fall back on if needed ...hopefully the players you mentioned will get some 1st grade games sooner rather than later...lets hope its replacing rep players rather than injuries or poor form.

Father Ted

First Grade
Not doubting, Padre - did Clint actually say that ?

Interesting ....

I've always thought Stanley to be too tall for half, but maybe there's a new way comin' (sounds like a song...)

I would have thought Soward at half and Kyle at 5/8th but they know stuff we don't know .. Clint.Mr personality and Creeping !!!! He's known by many names Obi Wan....

Minh

First Grade
i did say this in my previous post thus prefacing my comments.....
"based on what hornby said on the TV the other day i dont see him retiring at the end of the season unless he is pushed out. he feels he still has something to offer the team next season."

Maybe Hornby will be our insurance whilst grooming Kyle for next season or the season after if it takes that long.

KiamaSaint

Coach
If Vidot is predominately a right side player then Morris to fullback was an interesting choice. He is been immense but the question remains why not Flo? He has played there before and is fantastic anywhere? I totally agree though, it would be hard to shift Morris back to the wing now.

If Hornby plays on next year, why couldn't he play Fien's role of back up hooker, 5/8, half, and where do players like Cameron King and Mitch Rein fit into the picture, surely their time has come?

Tim Smith

Juniors
What is it with our centres...Prior listed there now with Stanley out. On the positive Rein back in and Miller given a shot on the bench with De Belin out...will miss his enthusiasm and defence but will be good to see how Miller aims up.

64 Dragon

Coach
What is it with our centres...Prior listed there now with Stanley out. On the positive Rein back in and Miller given a shot on the bench with De Belin out...will miss his enthusiasm and defence but will be good to see how Miller aims up.

Couldn't believe it when I saw the team read out onth big screens! Prior at centre, Rein and miller playing, no Stanley or De Belin. Didn't think much of Miller although early days. PRIOR IS NOT A CENTRE!!!!!!!!! Surely we could have found another centre in the club. I have defended Prior and never crticised him but he had a horrible match until 5 minutes from the end. Just as well he didn't drop the ball! The Rooters outside backs were too quick for him, too much arm grabbing and not enough aggro from him. FIND A CENTRE WE CAN RELY ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great to see the boys get a win! It would have been a long trip home otherwise. We were lucky the Rooters sucked just a little more than we did.

64 Dragon

Coach
Did Miller go okay ?

He had a bandage round his head before he even came on. Must have been getting in early just in case one of his "big hits" went wrong. I don't think he was too bad but he wasn't on long and he made a couple of errors.

Father Ted

First Grade
He had a bandage round his head before he even came on. Must have been getting in early just in case one of his "big hits" went wrong. I don't think he was too bad but he wasn't on long and he made a couple of errors.

A bandage on his melon Before he came on, Crack up:lol:

TheRev

First Grade
Yeah although not all Miller's fault, I recall seeing him exactly 3 times and 3 errors (im sure I missed some of his better work lol).

Seemed energetic though, lets hope he settles down a bit... Im guessing he will get a spot on the bench with Prior to fill Scott's spot, and then for the love of god can we select 2 actual centres in our backline >.>

On another note, why did Morris and Flo get switched around? Did Morris need a break?

Latest posts