What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St George Illawarra Dragons

Kiki

First Grade
hey look, the boys just couldnt deliver when they needed to. its as simple as that. i think they peaked at the wrong time and got spooked by the pressure. no excuses.

Sleep

Juniors
The Dragons were great this year. They just ran out of gas and hit the panic button late in the season. Their forward pack was the best in the comp all year but had worn down and it's been showing for the last few weeks.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Well then for that to happen we would have to go back to the idea of each team playing every other team twice- with home and away games.Otherwise it just isnt fair ,and certainly not an accurate reflection of how one teams performance compares with another.
They'd also need to change how Origin is played, as it would be such a huge disadvantage for some teams that it would make it unworkable. As it is it's a disadvantage for some teams (the annual Broncos post-Origin slide is the obvious example), but ultimately if the team is good enough it will still be able to make the top 8 regardless.

>zuzu<

Juniors
Yeah congrats guys

My mates and I always thought it would take Bennett 2 years to do some serious damage to the premiership. He took quiet a stride in 1 with the team, but I still think that a little work needs to be done.

Good luck in 2010. You will be in and around there yet again

Broncodr01d

Juniors
The Dragons will have their time in the sun either in 2010 or 2011. I have no doubt. Wayne Bennett's influence in just one season was phenomonal, he will get this side across the line within the next two seasons.

The Dragons, with obviously Brisbane and to an extent the Hayne Show at Parra, were a team I just had to tune in and watch. They played an attractive brand of footy this season and Jamie Soward stamped his class on the game (BIG things ahead for him) announcing his arrival to all.

Well played, unlucky in the end.

jargan83

Coach
I hardly think the Dragons choked, I actually think they over achieved. On paper, at the begining of the year, they had such an average team. No player is their backline other then Brett Morris, is a noted attacker. Hornby has never been creative and Soward was always inconsistant.

I truely think all the hype behind the Dragons was because they had Wayne Bennett as coach. People were thinking all year "can Wayne Bennett stop the St George choke" or "can the Dragons destroy Wayne Bennetts premiership records"

The Dragons team IMO over achieved, cudos to their players for reaching Wayne Bennetts standards.

Well said, echoes my thoughts quite well.

Who honestly thought the Dragons were even a Top 4 side at the start of the season?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Well said, echoes my thoughts quite well.

Who honestly thought the Dragons were even a Top 4 side at the start of the season?

I only ever thought the Dragons would do well because of Wayne Bennett. If it wasnt for Wayne, the Dragons would have struggled all year. Coach of the year IMO.

jargan83

Coach
I only ever thought the Dragons would do well because of Wayne Bennett. If it wasnt for Wayne, the Dragons would have struggled all year. Coach of the year IMO.

All I wanted this year was a consistant brand of footy, none of the hit and miss stuff from previous seasons. We would come out on fire one week only to drop our bundle the following week, usually in a game we were favoured to win as well. We played consistantly for most of the season and Wayne Bennet has to be responsible for doing his part. Unfortunately we were unable to find another gear when it counted.

Did we choke? I say no as we were not even expected to perform as well as we did

Noa

First Grade
I hardly think the Dragons choked, I actually think they over achieved. On paper, at the begining of the year, they had such an average team. No player is their backline other then Brett Morris, is a noted attacker. Hornby has never been creative and Soward was always inconsistant.

I truely think all the hype behind the Dragons was because they had Wayne Bennett as coach. People were thinking all year "can Wayne Bennett stop the St George choke" or "can the Dragons destroy Wayne Bennetts premiership records"

The Dragons team IMO over achieved, cudos to their players for reaching Wayne Bennetts standards.

Interesting.

Do you, or anyone else for that matter, think that the Storm choked in 2006.

RoMo

Juniors
I don't think St George choked. Let's be honest they played above themselves all year. If you go through their side it's pretty ordinary ... some solid forwards but the backline is about C grade. Throw in an ordinary second rower at hooker and they have all the flair of those Balmain sides of the late 90s.

Boyd, Soward, Hornby and Young would have to be the worst ever 1,6,7,9 to win a minor premiership.

St George are like the bloke who is good on a Thursday night .. jagging lowies out of the St Mary's tavern after only having to buy them a bourbon or WKD or 2 but when the whips were cracking and they needed to pull a good looking c...e who..e out of Hugo's on a Saturday night they didn't have the talent, subtlety or class in their armoury to get the job done .. so they're back on the nightbus with all the other degenerates who didn't get one

drake

First Grade
I nearly choked when I read this thread!

Thanks to all the considerate posters. We did overachieve, and to be honest we really don't deserve to be co-champions as the Dragon's finals performances were not good enough.

Good luck to all the supporters of the Teams in the finals, hope you have a good ride.
Except for Melbourne; you scum don't deserve to be in the comp, let alone the finals. ;-)

Go Parra!

Noa

First Grade
I nearly choked when I read this thread!

Thanks to all the considerate posters. We did overachieve, and to be honest we really don't deserve to be co-champions as the Dragon's finals performances were not good enough.

Good luck to all the supporters of the Teams in the finals, hope you have a good ride.
Except for Melbourne; you scum don't deserve to be in the comp, let alone the finals. ;-)

Go Parra!

Thanks for your kind words,

Now f**k off for 5 months :cool:.

jimmyo

Juniors
All hail the April Premiers St George.

A few have said its a great season for the Dragon and 2010 will be better.

I don't think so. With Poore and possibly Sailor leaving and no notable signings I don't see them making the 8.

RedV6

Juniors
if dogs were the best team they wouldn't have gotten rolled by the tigers last round causing the JJ Gilten shield to be rushed away from the dogs..... They were 2 points ahead going in making all those whinging excuses mute

.... so given the Dogs had to play a team outside the 8 in the last round to keep ist place ... they lost it ...They didn't finish 1st... .lol

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
if dogs were the best team they wouldn't have gotten rolled by the tigers last round causing the JJ Gilten shield to be rushed away from the dogs..... They were 2 points ahead going in making all those whinging excuses mute

.... so given the Dogs had to play a team outside the 8 in the last round to keep ist place ... they lost it ...They didn't finish 1st... .lol
Who's still in the comp buddy?

RedV6

Juniors
still whinging about all those 2 points you lost, should have finished 1st..blah blah blah.....

you'll get done this week

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Interesting.

Do you, or anyone else for that matter, think that the Storm choked in 2006.

I think that because that was for most Storm players, their first Grand Final, the nerves of te occasion got to them. But timed with Shaun Berrigans near perfect form at hooker and Justin Hodges killing it at fullback and Darren Lockyer in career best form for the weeks leading up to the GF, it was just good timing on Brisbanes part and bad timing on Melbournes part.

I think that because that was for most Storm players, their first Grand Final, the nerves of te occasion got to them. But timed with Shaun Berrigans near perfect form at hooker and Justin Hodges killing it at fullback and Darren Lockyer in career best form for the weeks leading up to the GF, it was just good timing on Brisbanes part and bad timing on Melbournes part.

f**k yeah, awesome times. Much love to Berrigan!!!!

Latest posts