What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St George is dead, RIP

'Why St George fans would buy the Sydney harbour bridge'
Irene, one of our executive associates, has kindly devoted her time waging the battle on the reinstatement of St George back to the NRL. However, her first task was to convince some of the hardcore fans that St George are in fact dead (i.e. not in the NRL).
She did this by taking the battle to the various forums, right to the hardcore Saints fans. The feedback we have received was less than gracious when we tried to explain, with hard evidence, why St George is rightfully a member of the DCS.
Aside from the normal abuse, we did get some intelligent responses, many of which argued that "St George Illawarra is St George" for a number of reasons. We have provided those reasons below and our commentary as to why the reasons can not be relied upon to substantiate the claims made by the old St George fans.
SAINTS FAN'S CLAIM #1: "The merger barely impacted on St George, all that happened is that the name "Illawarra" was added to the St George badge, but the club will always be known as "St George"."
DCS Comment - Unfortunately, this is not true at all. Since the merger no one can join the "Saints" football club - the "Saints" currently competing in the NRL, NSW 1st Division and junior rep teams have no open membership. You can however still join the dead Saints football club! Hardly the same club anymore is it?
In order for the merger or joint venture to proceed, it was necessary for both St George & Illawarra football clubs to enter into a written deed of agreement ( a contract). In the deed, the clubs agreed to form a new company called "St George- Illawarra". The deed included an agreement to create a board of directors, share resources, to provide capital, establish a CEO, employ staff, to allocate an initial budget subject to review and for both clubs to agree not to separately apply to, or actually ever again compete as themselves in the NRL.
Of course, the written contract agreement (franchise) with the NRL would not permit St George or Illawarra from competing separately anyway - unlike the "Manly favoured"clause Arko shrewdly had in the Northern Eagles licence.
The ST GEORGE DISTRICT RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB LIMITED is a registered corporation with the Australian Securities & Investments Commission. Legally, the club is known as follows: ST GEORGE DISTRICT RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB LIMITED ACN 002 350 272.
The STEELERS club is also a registered corporation and is and for the purposes of the corporations law, it is legally known as: ILLAWARRA DISTRICT RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB LIMITED ACN 002 762 610.
So what's it all mean? Well, when the two clubs entered into the deed of agreement, they registered the following corporation: ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB PTY. LIMITED ACN 085 008 340, ABN 74 085 008 340, Type Australian Proprietary Company, Limited By Shares Registration Date 03/11/1998 Locality of Registered Office Parramatta NSW 2150.
Legally, a new club was born in November of 1998, it was neither of the 2 old clubs and it's name, "St George Illawarra" was as new as the 1998 corporation itself. You see.. it was not just a simple change to the badge. What happened is that the newly born club took and now wears the old (dead) Saints badge. The St George DRLFC club essentially gave it away to another club/entity known as and operating as the "St George Illawarra Dragons".
The DCS isn't saying that we take pleasure from what has happened - we are merely seeking to set the record straight, to end the lies and deceptions being proferred by The Dragons, the NRL and the media.
SAINTS FAN'S CLAIM #2: "St George did not lose their identity as a result of the merger, whereas Illawarra did and that means Illawarra are dead but St George lives."
DCS Comment - The merger was now complete but what of the identities of the two clubs? How were they affected? The old clubs were alive and well, but they were not the new club. The St George - Illawarra Dragons are an individual entity. At law, it can sue and be sued, it now has all the rights of an artificial person. Including the ability to own property and enter into binding contracts. It can be prosecuted for breaches of the law, for example, a breach of the Corporations law (insolvent trading) or the Trade Practices Act 1974 ( S 52 - Passing off as St George for example).
Meanwhile, the old clubs are not liable for the actions of the Dragons. Did Norths or Manly have to pay out anything as a result of the Northern Eagles implosion? No, they were not accountable legally (perhaps morally!) at all.
In terms of identity, the JV club has nothing to do with St George, other than the fact that the St George Club is a 50% shareholder. St George fans who rejoice in the the retention of their club's identity while Norths, Wests, Illawarra, Balmain and until recently Manly fans, could not, are misguided and fooling themselves. They should be in utter grief at the total loss of their club from elite league - in truth they are no better off than the fans of these other clubs which merged and died.
As for the misguided school of thought adopted by some fans that only Illawarra is dead, all we can say is that legally and factually, neither club now competes at the elite level. St George is as dead as Illawarra. How can the 1998 cessation of St George and Illawarra from the NRL, see one club still be alive and well while the other is considered to be dead? That is a ridiculous charade which falls away the moment anyone, even casually, looks at the facts. It is illogical to say that Illawarra is dead, to say that Wests, Balmain and Norths are dead, but somehow the St George club isn't.
Is the fact that the current Dragons play in the dead Saints jersey all that it takes to fool a St George fan into thinking his/her club didn't die at the end of the 1998 season? It sure seems so - as we see in the next claim!
SAINTS FAN'S CLAIM #3: The traditional St George jersey is still worn by the Dragons merged joint venture outfit, therefore, the joint venture is really St George."
DCS Comment - Like the badge, St George just gave it away as well. A new club wears the now dead St George jersey. In simple terms, its kind of like stealing a dead mans clothes. It just does not feel right. When Manly trot out in 2002 wearing dead Northern Eagles jerseys will anyone be fooled into believing that Norths are still part of it and the Eagles of 2000/01 are not dead? Come off it!
The NRL & the Club CEOs must think that League fans are fools - c'mon Saints fans, all you are doing is proving that the NRL's summation of your intellect is well founded!
SAINTS FAN'S CLAIM #4: "The so-called break in the St. George record books can still be added to, all that is required is to merely note with a small asterix the club added the name "Illawarra" to St George and the there is no damage or break in the records. This is no different to Easts, Sydney City & Sydney Roosters."
DCS Comment - Well, clearly as we have already demonstrated, the JV is a new club. There are plenty of examples now available that support the truth. For example, the highly regarded statistician David Middleton in his League Yearbook now lists St George as a "former" premiership club alongside Illawarra, Norths, Balmain & Wests. A broad view of "tradition" and "club spirit" and its continuation in the JV is probably a fair enough approach for marketing the JV to fans of the old clubs, but it doesn't mean or prove that St George is still competing in the NRL! Easts RLFC still runs its own football club, merely changing names is not the same as merging clubs!
SAINTS FAN'S CLAIM #5: "The merger between the two clubs was really just a takeover by the St George Club. Illawarra got socks and a name on the bottom of our badge - we welcome them into our famous club - they should be thankful."
DCS Comment - For the reasons set forth earlier this can not be true and is an incorrect statement. The directors of the JV knew that it would be easier to fool the fans by simply adopting the now dead St George jersey rather than Illawarra's design or a new design altogether. In fact, we saw the Dragons compete in the NRL in 2001 wearing a new jersey design!
For further evidence, one only needs to rely upon the November Newsletter released by the JV Dragons outfit itself. It read, in part, as follows: "The St George Illawarra Dragons launched their new Red V Membership program by officially presenting the Prime Minister, John Howard with the Dragons number one membership...The Prime Minister was then officially recognised as the Dragons number one supporter after being presented with the Dragons No. 1 Red V Membership card by St George Illawarra Chairman Warren Lockwood. Mr Howard, an avid Dragons supporter, was formerly the patron of the St George Football Club prior to the joint venture with Illawarra and this presentation assures he will hold a similar status with the new Club."
SAINTS FAN'S CLAIM #5: "Illawarra has just been borrowing the St George district since it took it when it entered the League in 1983. The merger of the two clubs was really just St George claiming the district back. Adding Illawarra to the club's name and badge is merely just recognition of this."
DCS Comment - Well...St George was always a Sydney based club - its junior area was never the Illawarra. The Wollongong / Illawarra region was part of NSW Country League. Sure they got a lot of players from the region, but the St George club didn't give anything up in 1983 - the Illawarra Steelers were an Expansion Team, they brought a new area to the Sydney based comp. Let alone, that 17 years is a long time to be just "borrowing a district"! Are Cronulla merely loaning their area from St. George too? Come off it!
SAINTS FAN'S CLAIM #6: "The St George spirit is stronger than the steelers and therefore it is only natural to assume that the Steelers are dead but the Saints live on."
DCS Comment - Firstly, the hardcore Steelers fans we have spoken to would disagree. There are certainly less steelers fans, even less now. Sadly, in the modern world of rugby league operating as a business, spirit has been chucked out the window. The reality is, the St George fans were sold out just like the Illawarra steelers fans were and the other merged clubs.
The only difference is, St George fans did not realise it. Some now though are now finally starting to see what has happened to this once mighty club - St George is dead.
The only question that remains is, what are you prepared to do about it? We urge you to make some noise, tell the club, write letters, hold up banners. Do something to reinstate your clubs, both of them.
Jay Clegg President - Dead Club Society.

Anonymous

Juniors
I dont mind the folks spewing up old crap from the DCS site... most of it hasnt been updated for years so if anything its sad and way behind the times.
If they actually answered any email queries regarding their contradictions then I'd even be happy to help promote theirs as another point of view.

Red Bear

Referee
Its funny cos all of that was true, Saint George Dragons dont compete in first grade anymore, whether you like it or not. Saint George Illawarra do, and by all means follow that rip off take over merged scum, but St George doesnt exist and thats to bad for you.

Anonymous

Juniors
Its old news now... simple.

The Dead Club Society (if you take the time to read it rather than ripping off their old shit) also questions Manly's claims as to how many games Steve Menzies has played for the Sea Eagles... they are almost hysterical and even go into caps to shout out how wrong it is that the club dares to lay claim in assessing Steve Menzies' playing profile.

Fair dinkum, if Menzies thinks he was playing for the Manly Sea Eagles, and the club thinks the same... PLUS, the fans thinks he was... then who the f**k are the DCS to appoint themselves as the law to say otherwise...?

Take it from me, the notion of people having free-will and thinking for themselves drives the DCS to distraction.

More than that, there are numerous question marks over their claims and statements of so-called 'fact'.

They are one website with one point of view... and a poor one at that. They do not answer well to criticisms and they do not feel it neccessary to respond to queries.
The trolls love the DCS and imo, thats the bulk of their audience... so at least they are catering to a need.

But for reasons which defy logic, some people actually think the DCS are to be taken seriously... it laughable when people quote from that site in the belief that have found a 'resource tool' :lol:

They originally started off as a site who wanted to take the piss out everything... but watch them crash and burn over the next few years as they increasingly take themselves more and more seriously.

Sticks

Juniors
I've only bothered to read a few sections of this drivel blurted by RC and a few other sorry sods. What astonishes me is that their lives must be so sad that they have the time and energy to continually argue an issue that is quite frankly the business of St. George fans. If we want to believe our club has won 15 premierships why is that so distressing for you? You are a Sydney City supporter and quite frankly I don't care two hoots about your bizzare obsession with St. George, actually it intrigues me that opposition fans such as yourself have taken such an interest in such a matter. Do you have nothing better to do with your time?. Look into a work for the dole program if you are so idle.

Sticks.

dimitri

First Grade
You are a Sydney City supporter and quite frankly I don't care two hoots about your bizzare obsession with St. George, actually it intrigues me that opposition fans such as yourself have taken such an interest in such a matter. Do you have nothing better to do with your time?. Look into a work for the dole program if you are so idle.

Sticks.

i agree

:D :D :D

drake

First Grade
If Saints are a dead club, does that make souths an undead club? A shambling corpse clinging to a pale imitation of life granted through the intervention of an unholy force.
As for the roosters...many stories tell of thoses who sell their souls being granted a successful and prolonged life.

dannyboy

Juniors
Especially for Sticks & Dimitri

You go off ridiculing Roosters supporters for their unholy obsession in having the temerity to bag the Dragons and heaven forbid, on a Dragons forum (goodness me...such sacrilege)

Talk about "the pot calling the kettle" you hypocritical morons. Many Dragons fans have an equally bizarre and often much more venomous attack reserved for the Sharks forum.

Sticks

Juniors
Dannyboy; I've got no axe to grind with Sydney City supporters. I was just suprised that a few of you could spend countless hours trying to convince St. George fans to take another angle on our beliefs and opinions. It seems that some of you are envious of the St. George record and will do anything to wind up Saints fans.
As were often told....it's all in the past, get over it.

Sticks

dannyboy

Juniors
Sticks

I'm not a Roosters fan and along with most other non-Rooster fans marvel and admire their abilities with accounting ;-)

I have the unfortunate masochistic affliction of being a Sharks supporter.

I do admire the Dragon's records of the past but they don't intimdate me in any fashion.

Am I envious of other clubs having won a GF? No. Congratulations to them....I'm not into a form of pseudo penis envy.
Am I embarrassed that the Sharks haven't won a GF? No. I support my team win lose or draw.
Am I frustrated that the Sharks haven't won a GF? This one is an affirmative but hey what can you do but keep on supporting. The only way is forward.

Bring on 2004....I hate the off-season

Sticks

Juniors
Fair enought Dannyboy.
You'll be suprised to learn that as a Saints fan I don't have a deep veined hatred of the Sharks....more so I think because I come from a country region and not the district, which possibly makes me a little more passive!!.
Off the subject for the moment....what were your thoughts on Andersons time at the club and the new coach??

Sticks.

dannyboy

Juniors
I reckon they should've reached a compromise of giving him the 3rd year but removing the option to continue if the Sharks make the finals in 2004 (or at least giving the board the option rather than Anderson himself)

He'd recruited better for next year and he'd actually starting having them play a deeper attack late in this season...funnily enough they started winning the odd one when they did.

That being said, there was too much division in the club with him there so I guess the decision was made to try and heal the wounds. I doubt that the Sharks will get away without paying him some compo though (and rightly so) but I reckon it should result in a settlement out of court....he's not going to want be known as the person who bankrupted a football club (not good on a resume). He has too much love for the game.

Can't change whats happened now & I'll continue to support the team regardless of who the coach is.

Johnsy

You two roosters supporters are an embarrasement to your club. How sad that you both feel the need to try and infiltrate another clubs forum with an opinion and cry when someone disagree's with you. RC one reason why you couldbe refered to as french, the colours of your jumper.

You idiot, are there any other reasons you would like me to tell you why you have been called fench, or is your mums mouth to busy on your pecker to tell you as well.

I feel so so so sorry for you, keep the blind hatred going it proves that you do have a soul after all.

Anonymous

Juniors
You tell 'em Johnsy.
embeer.gif

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Yes. Something that is dead wrong about the Dragons ceasing to exist after the merger with Illawarra. The complete and utter opposite. The Illawarra Steelers cease to exist at all after being raped by St George.

In an absolute disgrace, the Dragons were allowed to inherit a club and its facilitys and its fans to make its own poor supported club appear more popular. The same red and white strip. No mention of Illawarra or the Steelers nowdays during games even though its evidently on the jersey. Its as if they never existed.

It shoud've become the Illawarra Dragons and played half its games at Wollongong in the Steelers jersyes. Instead, the Dragons managment though it was a better idea to ingnore the Wollongong fans and make them watch a club they never supported in colours they didnt want either.

The St George Dragons. The same club the showed forward thinking by moving back to Kogarah, the worlds biggest dump in the world with a capacity of only 17,000 from Aussie Stadium with 42,000 seats and far better facilitys. Why?

Because the management doesnt believe in forward thinking of its club and RL in general which is the total opposite to other clubs like the Bulldogs and even the Swans who moved from their 'homes' to Telstra for a few games to attract more fans in a brave attempt to increase the popularity of their clubs/code. All hail the forward thinkers!

Then again, maybe the huge trip for its fans to Aussie was just TOO much? Poor things. How awful to travel that far for a game! Or was it that they were lost when they saw all the seats?

"What are all the seats for?"

"For us fans I think"

"But we're the St George Dragons. We dont have even half this many fans".

"And thats after merging which doubled our supporter base!"

"Maybe we should complain. Say we want to go back to Kogarah".

"Yeah, lets. All this talk of expanding the game and making it grow to fend off competiors like AFL and Union is rubbish. We dont WANT to expand. I like our club the way it is."

"I go to Swans games. Go the Red and White!"

"Arnt they great. Big crowd last week. 35,000. Great atmosphere."

"Excuse me. I heard you talking. I'm a Bulldogs supporter. We moved games to Telstra so we could attract more fans to the great game of RL. Why wouldn't you do the same by staying here at Aussie Stadium?"

" :?: Why? We love Kogarah?"

" :? Why? We wanna go back to Kogarah".

Yes. Why. Why indeed.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
"Why did you bother?"

To show that its clubs like the Dragons and its fans that hold the game from going forward.

dimitri

First Grade
mark rudd

i understand what you are saying and some of it i agree with

however there is a lot which is also wrong

the main point being that moving to a bigger stadium maybe moving forward

but when this stadium is not in the clubs area then it is not a forward step at all

i have no problem with st george playing at bigger stadiums in st george/gong areas

but if you are going to move into other areas you may as well relocate the team

sfs was a silly idea