What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St George is dead, RIP

Mark Rudd

Juniors
There are no bigger stadiums in the St George area. What does everything have to be so close for Sydney fans? Are they lazy or something?

I travel nearly 2.5 hours to get to Storm games. Sheesh! You guys make it sound like its a hideos task to travel any more than 30 mins.

dimitri

First Grade
travel has nothing to do with it

st george fans travel to gong and vice versa all the time

it is just a home ground is not a home ground if it is not in the teams area

you say you travel to storms games but they play in their home town (melbourne)

i went to the sfs and it never had the feel of a home ground

kogarah, st george soccer stadium hurstville oval

would all be better than sfs

if only one of them could hold over 20,000

Anonymous

Juniors
Mark Rudd said:
I answered your question. You didnt see it on the bottom of the box.
Rubbish. I saw it.. just another bunch of stuff from a bored weekender.
You're just here to twist your own crap around... I could waste my time dissecting your posts but before I do that, I need to know a little bit about you:

1.) Which NRL team do you support? If any.
2.) Which RU team do you support or,
3.) Which AFL team do you support.
4.) Where do you live? (not the address stupid, just an approximate)
5.) Are you religious? And if so, which church?
6.) Are you a member of the young liberals? Or would you like to be...?

Answer these questions and I'll give you my undivided attention.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Exactly right Dimitri. If you cant have a ground that holds 20,000 in comfort, you should move out till you get one. Simple.

Willow?

1. Storm
2. none
3. Carlton Blues
4. Northern VIC
5. Yes. Tchurch of Rugby League
6. No. I dont vote. Politicians are whacked........like yourself.

Anonymous

Juniors
Not too bad... agree about the religion and that politicians are whacked.

But what can say...? typical Storm supporter. Can't understand the attraction of a suburban footy ground and knows nothing about tradition. Explains a lot. :D

Jimbo

Immortal
Willow said:
Fair dinkum, if Menzies thinks he was playing for the Manly Sea Eagles, and the club thinks the same... PLUS, the fans thinks he was... then who the f**k are the DCS to appoint themselves as the law to say otherwise...?

Take it from me, the notion of people having free-will and thinking for themselves drives the DCS to distraction.

More than that, there are numerous question marks over their claims and statements of so-called 'fact'.

You might want to check Steve Menzies' profile on the NRL website...

http://www.nrl.com.au/myclub/playerprofile.cfm?TeamID=4&PlayerID=166

Specifically the part about where it says "Previous Clubs - Manly 1993-1999, Northern Eagles 2000-2002"

His "Current Club Career" is rightly shown as 174 games, as Manly has reverted back to their old status. Total career games, however, is 243. This recognises that Menzies played 69 games for another club, the Northern Eagles.

More troubling for your argument however, is Lance Thompson's profile...

http://www.nrl.com.au/myclub/playerprofile.cfm?TeamID=13&PlayerID=201

If St George Illawarra Limited is simply an extension of St George;

1. Why is St George listed as a previous club (1995-1998)?
2. Why does Thompson's "Current Club Career" show only 90 games, when his total Career game count is 159?

Bitch all you like about the DCS, but the NRL's view seems very similar...

Jimbo

Immortal
OKay, I've had a quick flick through. You've only made a handful of posts which actually refer to the topic, and in those all you've said is that the DCS is wrong, with no explanation of why.

Is the NRL wrong too?

Anonymous

Juniors
I'm pretty sure I've said all this before perhaps it was in another thread. In any case, here it goes:

It will take time but the NRL will change their position. Its happened before and will happen again. Getting back to Kogarah was an example of the NRL agreeing with the view of the supporters and the club, when previously they appeared rigid.

In basic terms, the direction we're heading in is to have the 83 seasons acknowledged as well the Steelers' 17 seasons - plus, the next premiership to be number 16.
The supporters want it, club can see the wisdom of this, and the both the Dragons and the NRL are happy to exploit the history when it suits them.

The problem with the DCS is that they refuse to budge but truth be known, their opinion is worth nothing in this debate - they're not the ones we are trying to impress because they don't make the decisions.
The club and then the NRL are the aim... and with enough support, things will change.

On a final note, I liked to express my gratitude to the supporters of other clubs who are taking such a keen interest in the affairs of St George. Its always encouraging to know that you're taking notice.
Cheers. ;-)

Southernsaint

Staff member
Willow said:
On a final note, I liked to express my gratitude to the supporters of other clubs who are taking such a keen interest in the affairs of St George. Its always encouraging to know that you're taking notice.
Cheers. ;-)

So, so true, Willow - as we all know, there's only two types of people in this world - those that are Saints supporters & those that wish they were Saints supporters...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Jimbo

Immortal
Willow said:
It will take time but the NRL will change their position. Its happened before and will happen again. Getting back to Kogarah was an example of the NRL agreeing with the view of the supporters and the club, when previously they appeared rigid.

Getting back to Kogarah was simply a case of completing a long overdue upgrade of the place. The reason the NRL closed it in the first place was because of its condition. Did the NRL ever tell the Dragons they would never play there again?

In basic terms, the direction we're heading in is to have the 83 seasons acknowledged as well the Steelers' 17 seasons - plus, the next premiership to be number 16.

From what you've been saying, this 'acknowledgement' is already there, but as I said, the NRL records show otherwise. When do you expect this official acknowledgement to happen?

Anonymous

Juniors
Jimbo said:
Willow said:

Getting back to Kogarah was simply a case of completing a long overdue upgrade of the place. The reason the NRL closed it in the first place was because of its condition. Did the NRL ever tell the Dragons they would never play there again?
Shows how little you know of the situation.

FYI, the NRL never closed Kogarah. And ground itself has always been in pristine condition.

Saints left Kogarah because it didnt fill the NRL criteria, It still doesnt meet that same criteria as it was set down in 1998-99... but following supporter pressure, the club gained the will to return to Kogarah.
The council then came to the party and the barriers, one by one, were being removed.
Then the NRL changed their position with David Gallop saying the League wouldnt stand in the way of a return to Kogarah.
Kogarah Jubilee still falls short of the old NRL criteria but we're back there because if the efforts of the R2K push. It only happened because people wouldnt let the issue go away.

Jimbo said:
Willow said:

From what you've been saying, this 'acknowledgement' is already there, but as I said, the NRL records show otherwise. When do you expect this official acknowledgement to happen?
You're not picking up on the essence of the debate. You want an answer to something which I'm sure you dont care about - and as result, you're still missing the point.

Latest posts